Foolproof usb to serial 9 pin male?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2WAYMAN

11-26-11
Hello all............
It has probably been addressed in a post at some time (which I may have missed), but has anyone found a truly/relatively error proof cable, i.e.- USB MALE ( computer end) to SERIAL 9 PIN ( scanner end) for those of us who still love our BC780XLT and BC796D scanners and who need to program them with computers which lack a "TRUE" serial port ?
I do own a Uniden USB-1 cable which works great for the BCD996XT and BCD386XT but that is a whole different story as the radio end is completely different.
Any recommendations/suggestions are appreciated.
73's

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Are you using a laptop computer or desktop? If you have a desktop, I would recommend buying a true RS-232 port to fit your PCI expansion slots in the computer, rather than relying on the USB adapter, but I realize that's not always possible. I've had good luck with the Startechs. I have a 4 port one controlling 2 BCT15Xs and 2 BCD996XTs. I just replaced another USB/RS-232 adapter that quit working, with a real RS-232 board.

Finding a real RS-232 port for a laptop/netbook probably isn't possible or cost effective.

Newegg has lots of choices.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...TCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=pci+to+rs-232

Good luck,
Ben

Last edited:

DonS

There's no reason why a halfway decent USB-Serial converter cable shouldn't behave just like a plug-in card. It's usually a matter of drivers. There's nothing magic or sacred about a serial port that's either built into the motherboard or provided by a card in a slot on the motherboard. (EDIT: that is, a USB-Serial cable is no less "true" or "real" than a plug-in card.)

Try to find a cable that's based on the FTDI family of USB-Serial parts. In my experience, FTDI's drivers are usually the most reliable. If I was in the market for a new "serial port" for one of my PCs, I'd be buying FTDI's US232R-10.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have a list of USB-serial converters that have been mentioned in the past as being pretty reliable in the wiki - certainly it isn't complete, and additions/corrections are always solicited...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Frankly there's no such thing as 'foolproof' when it comes to these - every configuration is slightly different and you will no doubt need to tweak here and there to get them to work, particularly since you already have a driver installed.

best regards and GL Mike

mancow

Database Admin
I bought a bunch of the cheap *** Chinese ones off ebay for around $2 each and they work great. CH320 or something like that is what they are called. It's hard to say because they never really identify their products but they work great.

jackj

If you want a USB to RS-232 adapter then Google for one. I bought a Startech when I got my new computer. My new computer is a 64 bit, Win 7 machine and I had a hard time finding one with a driver that worked with Win 7, 64 bit. Make sure the one you get will work with your computer before you buy. The Startech works great and I haven't had a minutes problem with it.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Try to find a cable that's based on the FTDI family of USB-Serial parts. In my experience, FTDI's drivers are usually the most reliable. If I was in the market for a new "serial port" for one of my PCs, I'd be buying FTDI's US232R-10.

This. FTDI chip sets are very reliable. I've used a number of different USB adapters and the FTDI chip set based ones always work.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Foolproof USB To Serial 9 Pin Male?

I did contact Monoprice and they told me that it is a Prolific chip in their cable.

KF4JYE

Premium Subscriber
I use the same Monoprice Prolific cable, and have never had a problem.
It works well my my older 245, 895, 780, 296, & 796, as well as my newer 396, 996, and HP-1.
I have also used it with Kenwood and ICOM ham radios, and it works fine.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I got a Startech a few weeks ago.....driver included the thing programs my 780's and 796D fine, no issues at all.

Paul

jackj

I wouldn't worry about what chip-set your adapter uses. Most of the ones on the market are going to work well and last a long time. The only thing you really need to worry about is that the driver will work with your computer's OS. Also if you have enough USB ports, seems like every thing from keyboards to mice to printers use a USB port today.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Re: USB-to-Serial 9 pin

11-26-11
Hello all............
It has probably been addressed in a post at some time (which I may have missed), but has anyone found a truly/relatively error proof cable, i.e.- USB MALE ( computer end) to SERIAL 9 PIN ( scanner end) for those of us who still love our BC780XLT and BC796D scanners and who need to program them with computers which lack a "TRUE" serial port ?
I do own a Uniden USB-1 cable which works great for the BCD996XT and BCD386XT but that is a whole different story as the radio end is completely different.
Any recommendations/suggestions are appreciated.
73's

To be honest I bought mine at RadioShack, it cost $45 after tax and I don't have any issues with it. It reads and sends data to my BCT-15X without any problems or errors...

zl2taw

If you are using win Vista or 7 grab a FTDI chipset one, otherwise with XP the prolific chipsets work great.

I use one with the Kenwood R-5000 (I know different radio) with Win7 I need to use a FTDI chipset, but with the prolific chipset it doesnt work with timeouts etc etc, Yet on XP its flawless

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
I use an IOGear GUC232 converter with my Motorola programming software (which can be very finicky) and I can highly recommend it. Should handle the scanner software with no problem. I got mine at Comp USA.

Larry

JASII

Memory Capacity
Foolproof USB To Serial 9 Pin Male?

I was finally able to get the correct driver. At least my Windows 7 computer tells me they are the correct drivers, but it still can't communicate with Butel ARC-XT Pro. I may have to get a Uniden USB-1 after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.