Football Coach's Headset Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

AerialEars

Our local high school football coaches talk to their staff in the press box with wireless headsets/boom mics. They are definitely professional caliber equipment. The headset is connected by a wire to a "pack" worn on the belt. Anyone know anything about this type of equipment or what frequency range to search for their transmissions?

It seems possible they might be encrypted or scrambled to keep the opposing team from listening.

Thanks for your help, Greg

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Sports Headsets

I noticed this last Friday after not taking my new 396 with me to the local football game. I will be definitely taking it with me tonight to the game. If I find anything I will post it here.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi footballers,

"I believe the NFL uses exclusively Motorola headsets:"

Ya just can't miss the big ^^ logo on them now can you? (;->)

"Here they use Red Dot 151.525."

What a POS way of doing things, the professional ones use cross band full duplex like McDonald's. (;->)

Nah, listening in won't tell you what "43, 52, 26 HIKE!" means but you can have fun with them ANOTHER way, MUAHAHAHAaaaa. Too bad they didn't have radios when Al Bundy played for Polk HS but then again he married a Wanker. (;->)

16b

Premium Subscriber
From watching on TV it looks to me like the NFL and College folks don't use wireless headsets at all. If you look closely, those "Motorola" headsets are usually connected to a Telex box with what appears to be a standard XLR cable coming out of it.

Since the original poster's question was about High School football, that's a different matter I suppose.

midnightcaller

Premium Subscriber
When I went to the Seahawk game a few years ago I cought the Coach and the quarter back talking on FRS radio freq channel 1

csvff78

NFL Coaches - Uses a Telex system. Not just any Telex system, but one made just for them. You will not be able to hear anything. OK you can hear it, but you can't understand what is said. It is a digital type system. You will notice behind each bench is a stack of two dishes (beams, whatever) and they are pointed up to the Press box/coaches boxes.

QB's - The NFL has many frequencies licensed to them. I have discovered that they assign a pair to each team (5mhz split as they use it as a repeater). They have a repeater set up, so they can cut the coach off at the times he is not to be able to talk to the QB and turn it back on again when he can. The coach can still be talking, the NFL will just kill the repeater so the QB can't hear him. They use a rolling code vioce inversion on this system. Also something that can not be decoded.

NFL - Some of the other freqs that are licensed to the NFL are used for Game day activities. At the last Steeler game I caught activity on a few of these. Mostly had to deal with pregame show, and other activities. Simplex ops with PL/DPL used

Colleges - At least at the level of Pitt also use a radio system. Very simular in nature to the NFL system. Same thing only different. You can't decode that modulation either. They don't use the same digital modulation (I think)

High Schools - Can run the gammut. They can be as complex as a digital system (Digicom) , Telex systems that you can hear(if your radio has the right coverage) These are analog type systems, UHF VHF freqs (plain old simplex), or UHF freqs using voice inversion. Just about anything goes. Licensed freqs for the school, FRS freqs. MURS freqs, or frequencies in the Telex type systems.

Take a radio and play around. you should find something. I have found searching to be the best bet, although Signal Stalker mode has made a find or 2

Have fun,
Frank

K9GTJ

I thought this FB season with my new BC330T and its amazing close call, I would be hearing all the sideline action of my the area high school teams. In 5 games, I have found 1 visiting team used a head set I could monitor.

After a couple of games, I looked around at the head sets before the game and found everyone is using Porta Phone brand headsets. (http://www.portaphone.com/) They use a spread sectrum based technology which makes them impossible to monitor.

At least I enjoy scanner action while shooting for the local paper.

(I also did a Purdue FB game and ran close call all game and came up empty. I did see some Purdue trainers with bubble pack FRS/GMRS radios but they never used them.)

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
This may be a bit OT... but if you want to find out what a cluster all the RF at an NFL game can be like check this out. http://www.sbe.org/nfl/GamedayHandbook3.pdf

A friend of mine was the GDC for the Rams in St. Louis. What a job!

Here's some info on the Telex gear used at the Superbowl. http://www.telex.de/html/presseartikel_e.php?id=492

And this quote about RF at a Superbowl says it all:
"This year was interesting because MTV produced the show. Every wireless microphone used during the halftime show was live this year. There were 12 RF microphones, 12 in-ear monitors, and about 30 drops of RF PL. These had a backdrop of 52 “coach com” frequencies, about 65 RF microphone and intercom systems for the broadcast, several ref mics and NFL films microphones, and something like 275 ENG crews (that we knew about). Also many DTV and LPTV transmitters lit in Tampa."

bpckty1

I live in a large metropolitan area, and have observed the following.

If the coaches are using UHF radios, search the frequencies between 451.000 to 470.000, and if the TV band is used in your area, include 512.000, in 12.5 KHz steps in your search. Some frequencies won't be used (such as the medical frequencies 462(7).950 and 462(7).975). However, since these are low power UHF radios, they may be using a local PD frequency on a different PL/DPL tone. If you happen to hear Donald Duck talking to Daffy Duck, or any of their relatives, you have most likely found the coach frequencies.

Happy hunting.

SAR923

Here in Alabama, the high schools don't have enough money for that fancy spread spectrum stuff. :) All the coaches use headsets in the 464 MHz range. Makes some interesting listening when they are talking trash about the other team.

Viper43

Around here we have different systems, from cables to the headsets to wireless headsets running on 151 MHZ and 460's and on occasion you'll find it different from week to week. We have 4 schools in the county that we cover and you never know which system will pop up.

V

cubn

Database Admin
In Illinois, I’ve been to a few high school games over the last four years and only found 1 out of the 5 or so teams I’ve tried to monitor still used a simplex frequency that I could monitor. On the news highlights, I’ve seen even small schools with enrollments of 400 students are using Portabphone or CoachComm systems. However, I stumbled upon one 1-AA NCAA football team using uhf simplex (separate DPL for offense and defense on the same freq) which surprised me so it’s always worth searching.

When I was in high school, I used to listen to my school’s coaching staff but they’ve since started using Portaphone digicom. Going to games just doesn’t have the same luster knowing I can’t listen to either teams' coaches.

ecps92

QB Radio

Yes the NFL is wireless. 460-465 Mhz Encrypted [Transcrypt] 12.5 Khz Repeaters with DPL tones. Each Team has a Primary Frequency and an Alternate.

I'd be curious of anyone has some Freq's this year.

16b said:
From watching on TV it looks to me like the NFL and College folks don't use wireless headsets at all. If you look closely, those "Motorola" headsets are usually connected to a Telex box with what appears to be a standard XLR cable coming out of it.

Since the original poster's question was about High School football, that's a different matter I suppose.

SAR923

Why is every old thread on the NFL being bought up again? You cannot monitor the coach to player communications because they are encrypted. Nothing has changed since the last time all this was posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.