"For A Familiar Place. For A Familiar Place." - Andrews EAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waldo325mvfd

Did any one hear Andrews broadcasting EAM's Every 25min Past the hour "All stations. All stations. This is Andrews, Andrews Break. For A Familiar Place, For A Familiar Place. Zulu, Wiskey, Juliet, Sierra, Gulf, Victor, Stand By. Zulu, Wiskey, Juliet, Siera, Gulf, Victor, Stand By. Zulu, Wiskey, Juliet, Sierra, Gulf, Victor, Stand By, Message Follows. Zulu, Wiskey, Juliet, Sierra, Gulf, Victor, I Say again For A Familiar Place, For A Familiar Place. Zulu, Wiskey, Juliet, Sierra, Gulf, Victor, This Is Andrews Out.

You can find audio files of this on http://skykingskyking.yolasite.com/ listed under audio.

Last edited:

Waldo325mvfd

Yeah I thought it was kinda weard. I had heard it a total of 5 times from a period of 1400Est to 1800Est. I wasent sure if I was hearing it correctly the first two times then I recorded it played it back and analyzed it. Then recorded another and did the same again to confirm what it was. The recordings are on the posted website above if you want to hear for your self.

I dont know if its a new thing or a special operation thing. I know that they have been doing test counts aroud 1800est for the past week or so. Maybe it has to do with some kind of current issues around the world, but i dont know. I havent kept up with current issues. I did here a skyking message go out around 1500est. But again I dont know if the two are related.

You realy should try the audio clip though. It just sounds weard.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Thanks for posting. Never heard that one before! Definitely new & out of the ordinary.

Utah_Viper

Found this (never heard of listening to EAM's before.)

Numbers&Oddities; the early days: Part 7.

# There can be distinctive transmission patterns in these things: The EAMs heard on the GHFS are first heard on the NIGHTWATCH nets on the old GIANT TALK frequencies, plus sometimes still on USN freqs. Usually broadcast by a daily tactical callsigned station, who is the same station each day (sometimes with the same operators), just using a different callsign. The operator works in a very noisy environment - trigraphs, character strings, 'warble tones' can be heard in the background. The operators also use very distinctive diction. Sometimes, the initiating station is NIGHTWATCH 01 itself. Within a few seconds, to a few minutes of this broadcast, the GHFS will lightup with a very powerful carrier, followed shortly by OFFUTT, ANDREWS, or MCCLELLAN with a call to MAINSAIL and start the GHFS rotation of the EAM. (There can be slight variations to this pattern.) Rarely, NIGHTWATCH 01 will pull a station such as MACDILL off to a published discrete frequency, where NIGHTWATCH 01 will dictate the EAM to the GHFS station 'for injection to AUTODIN.' Within seconds of completion, this EAM will be transmitted on the GHFS. Usually, an EAM is broadcast once on the NIGHTWATCH net; once on the GHFS (by all stations except ALBROOK, BAYONNE, and ASCENSION); and that's it. Recently it's been noticed by Ary Boender and myself that CROUGHTON and ANDREWS will rebroadcast an EAM (sometimes at an apparent hourly schedule) hours after the initial GHFS cycle was completed. Also, during self-described exercises the NIGHTWATCH nets will repeat one or more EAMs constantly over varying periods of time but is not joined by the GHFS. On somewhat rare occasion, an EAM can be transmitted 'for' a callsign or multiple callsigns, in which case the message starts something like this: 'for Chewing Gum, for Chewing Gum' followed by the EAM.

* Almost always these 'For...' EAMs are 20 characters.
* Very rarely, they can be variable count EAMs: EAMs 'for' theaters/commands, and something a few months ago for SOARHAWK.
* The only 'for' callsigns that seem to be static in nature (besides the Theater/Command things) are EAMs 'for' REGION "alpha character" (heard: ALPHA; BRAVO; CHARLIE; DELTA); and variable character-count EAMs 'for' SOARHAWK.
* They can happen at any time, but an apparent favorite time for these is between 1200z-1300z (1300z-1400z Standard time) on Tuesdays.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Ok today I had the radio on while , working in the yard I heard 2 new "For" callsigns one I couldn't make out ,..The other was " For Polar Axis , For Polar Axis,...message follows" ...then the usual phonetic type message , I havent heard these type of "For" calls before ,...Do we know historically how often they have been used , what events were going on at the time ,?

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
I heard the same thing too, if memory serves me correctly,(retired USMC) Sounds to me what is being relayed, are coord's, unit groups.

Waldo325mvfd

Well gents I believe there were several bombings in Russia I believe the day before. I also believe Quantico was doing some Artie (Artillery) traning the week before, as well as severl low flying aircraft (Helos, Fighters Ect...).... I dont know about any other places in the country but here in the D.C. area when you here artie from Quantico or the Navy guns from dahlren as well as Military aircraft flying more frequently it usuly means something is about to happen.

apd3190

I live i Md. What are the best freqs to listen on? I have a Dx390 with a long wire on the roof of the house and dont get much. Thanks

Rick1959

Premium Subscriber
Well gents I believe there were several bombings in Russia I believe the day before. I also believe Quantico was doing some Artie (Artillery) traning the week before, as well as severl low flying aircraft (Helos, Fighters Ect...).... I dont know about any other places in the country but here in the D.C. area when you here artie from Quantico or the Navy guns from dahlren as well as Military aircraft flying more frequently it usuly means something is about to happen.

Hard to tell reference, something is about to happen. EAM activity prior to aborted rescue attempt of American hostages in Iran was normal to somewhat slow. However, AFTER the attempt failed the old Giant Talk network lit up. I have read a number of articles that state at the time the Carter Administration very briefly considered an all out, everything on the table, strike against Iran.

Prior to the start of Gulf War 1 I noticed a significant increase in EAM activity but did not observe the same increase prior to GW2.

On 911, I monitored EAM's for the first time on UHF freqs, I should note the first and last time.

There's a writer for Monitoring Times that pretty much wrote the book on monitoring EAMs,I will send him an email and get his take on format station - call signs.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.