For Anyone With A WinRadio G-31 Excalibur. Gain Adj. Question, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hi,

I tried asking this in the SDR Forum a while back, but no replies.
My guess is that not too many folks have a G-31 Excalibur.

So, would like to ask here (also):

Have dug up my "old" WinRadio G-31 Excalibur.

Long time, and am working to get up to speed again with it.

SDRConsole now supports it.

If I remember right, the Gain is essentially handled "automatically".

But, that there are options in the WinRadio software for manually adjusting Gain, also.

Question: Are these Manual Gain Adjustments being done in the WinRadio software, or by actually
adjusting an amp in the unit itself ?

Thanks,
Bob

majoco

Stirrer
Hi Bob,

Without knowing the architecture of the G-31 it's difficult to say, but IMHO it won't be much different to my G33. Interesting question though. I find that on many occasions the gain is actually too high, especially if I'm listening to the HF Aero sideband frequencies - the background noise just comes up in the absence of a signal so I knock the gain back to 90dB whatever that means.
Aha - I've just been round to the playroom and looked at the 'User's guide' and in the "Gain" section it quite clearly says that the "gain is a software parameter" - that's fine, it may be set in software but where is it applied? The best analogue receivers have an voltage controlled attenuator right up at the antenna terminal to knock back any really strong signals and prevent cross-modulation and other nasty effects. If you have a look in the "User's Guide" page 20 there's the answer to your question I believe. A small block diagram of the receiver shows exactly that - an adjustable 0 to 21dB attenuator at the antenna input - and it says that it can be user adjustable and it will be also left to the software to make changes to prevent overload. Now whether the SDR Console programme has a similar concept - I can't say as I use the original Winradio software and it works just fine - except I have never got the Virtual Audio Cable to work, but it does work with G303 - go figure!

BOBRR

Hi,

Thanks for info. on this.
I understand now.

Really a nice radio, super nice in many ways, and will enjoy using
it with SDRConsole.

Do wish the software (also) had these software gain implementations, though, like the WinRadio software.
It doesn't seem to.

Did Simon implement anything "similar" for your G-33 in Console ?
Think it's important ?

Regards,
Stay well,
Bob

majoco

Stirrer
I don't know - I haven't installed SDR Console because I don't have any reason to stop using the WinRad GUI or its accessories. How do you know that SDR Console has implemented all the facilities available in the hardware? The answer is 'you don't' until you find something is missing or doesn't work like it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.