For Canadian Guys, what are you using for PS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trprc

Hi Guys,

I was looking at this which seem to have a good rep. High Power 12 Volt Power Supplies With Adjustable Voltage but it will cost a lot to ship here and customs will nail us.

A friend of mine was telling me he bought a 12V 80A switching power supplies intended for PABX systems at Princess Auto, looking for it at his home.

What are you guys using in the local Canadian market?

Thanks

mojobreakfast

I'm not in Canada but I don't see why this would really be a Canadian specific issue. Before you buy a switching power supply it might be useful to track down a copy of the recent QST article where various switching power supplies are tested. They were quite dirty, even when claimed to be clean. Unless you really need high current I'd avoid a switcher in favor of a linear, or at least buy a well regarded (and preferably tested for RFI) model.

That being said, I know a lot of guys who need high current DC are using the lab grade power supplies from the likes of Tenma. Not sure what the RFI situation with these is. But it's an option. Check Canadian lab supply outlets? Here's an example of a 60 amp variable:

Tenma Heavy Duty 60 Amp Switch Mode Power Supply | 72-7655 (727655) | Tenma

N4KVE

My Dad lives in Montreal Canada & he has a few Astron 35 amp supplies which he purchased in Canada. Just buy one from a Canadian ham radio store. GARY N4KVE

Trprc

I'm not in Canada but I don't see why this would really be a Canadian specific issue. Before you buy a switching power supply it might be useful to track down a copy of the recent QST article where various switching power supplies are tested. They were quite dirty, even when claimed to be clean. Unless you really need high current I'd avoid a switcher in favor of a linear, or at least buy a well regarded (and preferably tested for RFI) model.

That being said, I know a lot of guys who need high current DC are using the lab grade power supplies from the likes of Tenma. Not sure what the RFI situation with these is. But it's an option. Check Canadian lab supply outlets? Here's an example of a 60 amp variable:

Tenma Heavy Duty 60 Amp Switch Mode Power Supply | 72-7655 (727655) | Tenma

Canadian specific because of interes in seeking a local supplier. We get clobbered here with shipping, duty and handling rates when we purchase from the US.

Thanks for the input.

Trprc

See if there is a Canadian Astron Astron Corporation dealer. I have had two of the non-switching RS-models (20 and 50a) for years, and all they do is work.

Thanks will looking into it. Thanks for the reply.

My Dad lives in Montreal Canada & he has a few Astron 35 amp supplies which he purchased in Canada. Just buy one from a Canadian ham radio store. GARY N4KVE

Thanks Gary,

Much appreicated.

Trprc

In Canada we use Whale Blubber for our PS. :)

Hey Honker, we need more blubber here in Ontario, where you are in BC is much much warmer LOL

I ended up using an old home built Motoralla kit PS, the thing is clean and puts out the 100 watts I need for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.