• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

For Kenwood users -

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
Our Chaplain Response group in 5 states always takes our own communications equipment into natural disaster response areas because cell service can be spotty at best after Tropical Storms, Hurricanes and Tornadoes.

We rely on Kenwood equipment exclusively, using TK880-1, TK880H-1, TK863G-1 and a recent purchase of a TK8180-1. Portables are also Kenwood, using TK370 and TK380 units. All of our team members are individually licensed for GMRS and our team is also licensed commercially using two Part 90 UHF Itinerant channels as backup.

Regarding the TK8180 - this was a very recent addition to our radio inventory. Programming is just as easy as the slightly older radios and with 30 watt output, it does a very good job for our team. Is anyone here using the TK8180 as well and if so, what are your experiences with this model?

Thanks -

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
The TK-8180 is an older stall wart of the Kenwood fleet. They are amazing radios and will do everything you are looking for them to do. They are easy to program, easy to maintain, and there really is not major bugs with them.

God bless,
Rev. Higgy

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I picked up a used TK-7180 (VHF version of the 8180) for my wife's new truck. They are good solid radios. Only discontinued by Kenwood in the last year or so.
Same chassis as the NX-x00 series radios, but analog only. Lots of accessories out there.

KPG-89 is probably one of the easier programming softwares out there.

The used one I purchased for my wife was an old BNSF railroad radio. Still had railroad programming when I got it. I put it on the service monitor and it was pretty close to factory spec.

The 30 watt UHF versions are great for GMRS use.

If you decide to purchase more hand held radios, the TK-3180 is the portable version and will program off the same KPG-89 software. In fact, you can take the same programming file as your mobile and put it in the portable with a few minor changes.

RevGary

Thanks for the feedback and info - Very much appreciated !! :)

`

a417

U+0000
If your infrastructure uses MDC for subaudible data/unit ID, the x180s can be flashed with a firmware that supports MDC instead of fleetsync.

As for the radio, it's a tried & true radio. I loved ours while we were conventional.

RevGary

Thanks for the additional info.

We do not use Fleetsync ® or any digital ID components. We use a DPL for T & R and off hook decode for simplex operations in the field, operating through a temporary Kenwood base, a 24 foot push up antenna mast (guyed X 3) and currently, a 5.0 DBi fiberglass omni antenna from Browning with RG213. This gives approximately 55 watts of ERP and has worked well for us for over 20 years.

`

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I would suggest that as you need to replace your other radios, you try to acquire the 8180's and 3180's. Solid radios that will serve you well.

jaolson101

Has anyone figured out the magic to assign the Home Channel in the KPG89DN software for the TK-7180? You can assign a button on the panel but I cannot locate where to specify which Zone/Channel. Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Go to the Zone Information Page.
Click on the Zone Edit button on the bottom.

Set the channel you want in the Home Channel field. The home channel applies to just that zone. You can set a home channel for the other zones.

Other option is to set the Direct Channel/Group ID in the Key setting.
Then go to the Dir Ch/GID tab. You can set that for radio wide use.

jaolson101

Go to the Zone Information Page.
Click on the Zone Edit button on the bottom.

Set the channel you want in the Home Channel field. The home channel applies to just that zone. You can set a home channel for the other zones.

Other option is to set the Direct Channel/Group ID in the Key setting.
Then go to the Dir Ch/GID tab. You can set that for radio wide use.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.