For Las Vegas - digital or...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

br0adband

Been awhile since I posted around these parts since I sold off my BC-246T (and yes, I miss it tremendously). But that was then and this is now, and I'm living in Vegas now as well.

Going to stop by AES sometime this week and take a peek at what's on the current lineup for scanners, so my question to any Las Vegasians or Vegans are whatever the hell we are is:

Should I even bother with a digital handheld like the 396 these days considering the last time I checked on it, most of the law enforcement in Vegas was planning to go to the ProVoice system which can't be monitored realistically? Or should I snag the 330T which I've heard and read great things about so far, especially since it covers the MilAir band and I'm an avid airband listener.

I mean, the Thunderbirds call this place home and I luck out and see them doing practices on occasion (I guess with fall/winter rolling in that'll tone down somewhat) but even so, it's the reason I'd choose the 330T over my old 246T at this point.

I'm gonna get something this week, I'm just curious to get some idea of which one might be best. I could get a desktop unit of some kind also, since I don't do too much mobile listening. I live in the downtown area, just two streets away from the intersection of Fremont and LVBD, so I'm pretty much in the center of town.

So, any recommendations on the 330T over the 246T, or possibly some recommendation for a desktop that can do most of the functions that either of them can - with MilAir support, of course - are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading...
bb

TOUGHLIFE

Digital or Not

I would only be concerned with the LVMPD and its plan to migrate to a 700 MHz digital M/A Comm system. The other law enforcement agencies are not going anywhere in the near future and will remain analog Motorola or in the case of the DPS (includes NHP) analog EDACS. NLVPD has joined the analog SNACC system so Motorola works here.
I own three 330s' and it is a great radiol. But I do have a 396 as well as a 96 so I can monitor digital when I travel or if I wish to listen to ground activities (non-aviation) at Nellis AFB or the activities of the TSA at McCarran Airport. AES does have a very nice selection of scanners as well as copies of the 5th edition of the Las Vegas Scanner Book dated September 2006 which I highly recommend. Hope this brings you a bit up to date with your decision making.

br0adband

Thanks for the information.

Asking you directly since you responded, TOUGHLIFE, are you happy with the purchase of your 396, even for the cost? I mean, are you getting the value from it that you expected when you purchased it? That's my concern: I'm sure it'll kick some serious but (and afaik, it's still the "best" handheld on the market presently) I'm just trying to think...

"Lemme see here... $280 or so for the 330T, does everything I can possible want except digital... or the 396 for... ouch, twice the price and the big selling point of the 396 is digital capability... hrrmmm..."

So, even though I've got some money to burn, and I do want the 396 so digital isn't an issue for me at all, that price point is still a bit - dare I say it - ridiculous compared to most other hardware out there.

I'm a Uniden fan, I have been for 30 years now, but even I have limits sometimes. :)

Just curious, so respond whenever you can, and thanks...
bb

TOUGHLIFE

In my opinion if it is a choice between the 330 and 396 with price a consideration and if you do not need a digital radio for the moment go with the 330 for better frequency coverage as it goes down into HF although not the greatest receiver in that area. If I did not really like the 330 a great deal I would not have purchased three of them. For me one led to two and two led to three.

BCFlash

Bct 15

You might take a look at the BCT 15. It has all the (non digital) coverage you are looking for and is in the 330T price range. The feature set is interesing and I found the receiver to be a good performer. It's really personal preference.

TOUGHLIFE

The BCT 15 is fine if you want a radio other than a handheld. I have one also and like it at home or in a mobile environment but I seem to use my handhelds more than the table or mobile models. If you purchase either do acquire the appropriate software as programming will become a lot easier for you. The Uniden software works well for either radio.

br0adband

I agree about the portability, and while having a desktop scanner will be nice at some point, since I do prefer handhelds, that's the choice.

I popped into AES on Tuesday and spent an hour talking with Chuck, one of the people there about all sorts of things, scanners, radios, computers, etc. While they didn't have a 330T on display so I could manhandle one, it's obvious that for my needs - everything but digital - that's the one to get.

I'll also snag a copy of the Southern Nevada guide. I used to make stuff like that back home in VA so I know the time and effort required. Just flipping through it there at AES made me realize the guy that puts it out is serious about it and he deserves a lot of credit for culling all that data into such a great report that truly comes in handy.

So thanks for the info, and soon I'll have my ears on once again. :)

bb

TOUGHLIFE

One can never have enough radios. One leads to two and two leads to three and it goes on and on and on. At least the crystal days are long gone for nearly all scanner listeners.

Status
Not open for further replies.