• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

For Those That Doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

mypoppa60

CB Radio

All this time wasted crying about something that every one knows the FCC is not to do going to do much if anything at all.5000 watts is a weak station here.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Also, a lot of people don't realize the FRS/GMRS radios require a license for the GMRS frequencies. There have been (although seldom) enforcement against unlicensed GMRS operators. I always thought it was bad business to market/sell a FRS/GMRS combo radio.

What does this have to do with cb?

n9zas

TrenchFeeder

December 2, 2010

Victor M. Coucelos

Anderson, California 96007

NOTICE OF UNLICENSED OPERATION

Case Number: EB-09-SF-0116

Document Number: W201132960001

The San Francisco Field Office of the Enforcement Bureau of the Federal
Communications Commission ("FCC") received a complaint of Citizens Band
("CB") Radio interference in the city of Anderson, California. On August
24, 2010, agents from this office confirmed by direction finding
techniques that radio signals on frequency 27.085 MHz were emanating from
your residence in Anderson, California. Agents also heard your station
transmitting sound effects, language that might be classified as profane,
indecent or obscene, and music. On August 25, 2010, the San Francisco
agents also observed your station operating on 27.085 MHz and confirmed by
radio direction finding techniques that the operation was originating from
your residence in Anderson, CA.

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-303224A1.html

that's why when you transmit illegally you do it from a moving vehicle

Token

"Amateur radio is “self policing” by mutual agreement of the FCC with amateur groups, and has been for decades."

Self policing via the ARRL's OO program, I know of no such agreement with the FCC other than to heed proper, substantiated information submitted by "official" observers.

And self-policing as understood in day-to-day operations by the FCC, and in many official documents submitted by the FCC to courts and governing bodies. This verbiage is used officially and frequently to describe certain aspects of Amateur activities in both documents submitted to the FCC for consideration and in documents generated by the FCC.

For example (just a few of hundreds that can be found in minutes):
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/Notices/fcc96375.txt
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-178A1.pdf
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2007/DA-07-2184A1.html

To support the position that this has been the policy for decades; In a Congressional report (97-765), the “Communications Amendment Acts of 1982”, submitted to Congress: “The Amateur Radio Service has been praised for being self-regulated. The Commission has reported that less time has been devoted to monitoring and regulating the Amateur Service than to any other service because of its self-policing and discipline.”

If the FCC does not recognize and agree that amateur service is self-policing can you point to one document where the FCC objects to the inclusion of such wording in official documentations and request?

Is not the fact that the ARRL, along with other amateur groups less well known, and the FCC both call the service “self-policing” an indication of “mutual agreement”? They both call it that, after all.

Of course the OO program, via the Amateur Auxiliary, is the preferred conduit to present matters for possible action. It is not the only way, but it is the preferred way. Someone has to have the knowledge of how to properly document cases, and the OO’s are supposed to have this skill.

Anyone can present a complaint of interference or action, but the OO’s supposedly already know how to do it.

"If no one reports the offenders to the FCC, in the proper way with the proper documentation, then the FCC absolutely will do nothing about it."

Only because the Enforcement Bureau is severely underfunded and understaffed to the point where the monitoring stations were closed years ago.

Not a real argument that they are understaffed in key areas. Are they underfunded? Possibly, or possibly like other government agencies they have lost touch with their basic functions, and are top heavy with an emphasis on lawyers and managers instead of technicians and engineers.

But I fail to see how that in any way is contrary to what I said. The fact is if no one reports offenders then the likelihood of the FCC undertaking enforcement is essentially non-existent. Sure, if they had a larger pool of personnel tasked with enforcement they would be more likely to take action, but for as long as I can remember first hand (first licensed in 1967) and from what I heard at that time from “old timers” then, the FCC has mostly responded to reports/complaints within the amateur service. They may have had more cases of self-initiated actions when they had a large monitoring arm but they still responded to a lot of reports/complaints. Was this the larger percentage of actions? I do not know, I have never seen any hard data one way or the other.

"Not because they don’t want to, but rather because they have agreed with the amateur community not to."

Citation needed, please back up your claim with valid proof, not speculation or conjecture.

As per the ARRL web site:
Q. Isn't the OO doing work that should be more properly done by the FCC?
A. The ARRL and the FCC have signed a Memorandum of Understanding that defines the relationship between the two. By agreement, the ARRL Amateur Auxiliary does initial fact finding for the FCC, referring appropriate cases to the Enforcement Bureau for consideration. The FCC may also request the Amateur Auxiliary to gather information as needed.

That certainly sounds to me like they have an agreement, documented, with the amateur community to rely heavily on them for such activities. Can you point to a document claiming otherwise?

As you said, the FCC is understaffed and possibly underfunded (although I am not sure I agree to underfunded, probably more along the lines of improperly funded, IMO). Because of this they cannot do everything they would ideally like to do in the area of enforcement. Because of this they have agreed to put so a large part of this work on an available resource, the self-policing nature of amateur radio.

And perhaps my wording was a bit too strong. I said “If no one reports the offenders to the FCC, in the proper way with the proper documentation, then the FCC absolutely will do nothing about it. Not because they don’t want to, but rather because they have agreed with the amateur community not to.”. What I probably should have said was “If no one reports the offenders to the FCC, in the proper way with the proper documentation, then the FCC _probably_ will do nothing about it. Not because they don’t want to, but rather because, _due to matters of priority_, they have agreed _to lean heavily on the amateur community for such task instead of doing them themselves_.

T!

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Banned
Originally Posted by kb2vxa
"Not because they don’t want to, but rather because they have agreed with the amateur community not to."
Citation needed, please back up your claim with valid proof, not speculation or conjecture.

From Token:
As per the ARRL web site:
Q. Isn't the OO doing work that should be more properly done by the FCC?
A. The ARRL and the FCC have signed a Memorandum of Understanding that defines the relationship between the two. By agreement, the ARRL Amateur Auxiliary does initial fact finding for the FCC, referring appropriate cases to the Enforcement Bureau for consideration. The FCC may also request the Amateur Auxiliary to gather information as needed.

I refer you to my post quoted above, where in anything you have cited or posted do the words NOT TO appear?

"And perhaps my wording was a bit too strong."
No, just entirely incorrect.

That having been said please don't waste your time trying to bait me into an argument, I'm through, 73/AR/SK ( .. )

Token

That having been said please don't waste your time trying to bait me into an argument, I'm through, 73/AR/SK ( .. )

Speaking of baiting. I was under the impression we were having a discussion here, not an argument. If you find my statements incorrect please enlighten me, with supportive data, life is a learning experience after all. I have already shown a willingness to correct what I said earlier, a portion of my first posting definitely was worded too strongly, and I have provided supportive information for my position. You know, discussion.

First, specifically while speaking of self-policing, you said “I know of no such agreement with the FCC” so I provided an indication that there is indeed a documented agreement between the FCC and the amateur community for the amateur community to be self-policing as much as possible. In addition there is a recognized and uncontested history of such.

Now you are fixated on two words from a post of over 250 words. Two words that I have already agreed should not have been said the way they were, and that I have already corrected myself. Also two words that did not change the meaning of the entirety of the post, although they did indeed change the meaning of the specific portion of the sentence; the primary points of the post remained the same.

After I reworded, corrected if you will, my statement, before your post about baiting and arguments, do you still find objection to it?

Perhaps it would help if you understood something about me. I refuse to argue on the Internet. There is no peeing contest required, no size comparison. If I am wrong, and a person can show me I am wrong or can lead me to find it for myself through my research at their suggestion, I will gladly correct anything I say. But, just because someone says I am wrong does not mean I will acquiesce to his or her position, they have the same burden of proof as I do.

T!

Somehow I've got to believe that someone at the FCC would have known that these FRS/GMRS radios that they(FCC) ran their tests on and approved for sale would never be licensed. When a $30,000 car costs $170,000 to license there will be a lot of unlicensed cars running around. I can go to Walmart and buy 2 FRS/GMRS radios for $30.00 then the FCC expects that I, and someone else, will pay $85.00 each($170.00) to use them???? Don't fault the casual users of these radios when the FCC did something they never should have in the first place. I can go buy a ham radio for several hundred $$$ and get a license for a little bit of study time and a $15 test fee???? Something is wrong here, and its not the guy using his FRS/GMRS radio once a year while hunting, or the family using them to keep track of the kids on a family outing. Bash away HAMs.

kb2vxa

Banned
What's to bash when your argument is spot on? Between the FCC license fee goof and the lack of monitoring practically nullifying enforcement they left the door wide open to pirates.

Same with 11M CB, closure of the monitoring stations is the direct cause of the band and surrounds going to hell in a bucket. Not conjecture but fact, I was around in '65 when we were licensed and the FCC wielded the hammer. Most of the "pink slips" came from the station in Michigan and were followed up with a search and destroy team out of New York City.

It might be said they have more money than brains but that's incorrect. Being terribly underfunded they just can't afford brains.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For the FRS/GMRS discussion, you should read in its entirety the recent Part 95 rulemaking proceeding (still unresolved): Search for Filings then enter 10-119 as the proceeding number. There is also an entire discussion devoted to this in the GMRS / FRS forum.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Self policing via the ARRL's OO program, I know of no such agreement with the FCC other than to heed proper, substantiated information submitted by "official" observers.

The FCC works VERY closely with the ARRL OO program. I am aware of situations where OO's took action at the request of the FCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.