For those who have BlackBerries...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I thought this was sort of cool when I found it. I was searching on my Blackberry 8530 for applications on the BB App World and found this cool scanner radio app. The application picks up the live frequencies that run from radioreference.com and sends them through to your phone. It's a free app for the first 7 days, after that you either can choose to buy it, or you can just keep the free version, but you're only limited to 15 minutes of scan time, then would have to shutdown and restart the application to continue listening for another 15 minutes and so on, so forth.

Just thought this was pretty cool and wanted to inform those who enjoy listening to the live feeds off the radioreference site. Only bad thing is, it only works on 3G or WiFi blackberries for the feed to go through with no problem.

BTW: The app is actually called "SCANNER RADIO" when searching the app world, and this is the only link to read about it.

BlackBerry App World - Scanner Radio

(I have no affiliation with the app, just thought it would be nice to share.)

reedo

Premium Subscriber
For those who have BlackBerries

I've been using BBscanner on my Verizon Storm for several weeks now and I love it. It actually has all the features you described in the "Scanner Radio" app. including the trial period. After the seven day trial it's $4.99 to purchase.

Yes, BBScanner and Scanner Radio are both the same program, however, when searching on my BB 8530 it showed up original when I typed in just the word "scanner" for fun to see if there was such a feature. To my amazement there actually was and I found it to be a great way to keep up with the radioreference.com live feed. I only wish that the JCPD was added. The JCFD is on there and the Port Authority and State Police which I have been listening to lately due to the fact that my scanner is now insufficient to listen to the new digital trunked system Jersey City Police are using. Hopefully, JCPD will make an appearance on RR.com's feed and can be sent to the BBScanner app. But since the JCPD is not available I did not purchase it. I only tune in quickly when I see a PAPD vehicle near the area of my work location since I work near Port Liberte. Besides that, no use except when I happen to drive through Newark. That's a benefit right there. Almost got hit by a speeder in a van one day and like 30 cop cars come flying by chasing this guy. If I had my scanner or my trusty BBScanner at that time, it would have been great knowledge to me and I could have taken a different route, or at least have been more cautious. But its great to keep on the phone for emergencies.

I hope RR.com will add more Hudson County Public Safety stations, specifically JC/Bayonne PD... that would be great!!!

PS: $4.99 isn't really too bad for a license. That's the stuff right there, especially for those who cant afford a digital scanner like me :)

Well for one, it doesnt work for my phone. I've tried it around the same time I found out the program used RadioReference for the feeds. I guess it depends on what kind of phone it is. I know my Nextel blackberry definitely doesnt work with it, not even the BBScanner.

UPDATE: I actually tried the RR site again on my phone until I realized you meant RR.com's mobile site. I thank you, though, wv_moutaineer for the heads up on the mobile site. I did not know that existed... however, when my BB connects to m.rr.com for the local feeds it's extremely low and all I can hear it the static... the voices are very low and when I put the volume up to 100%, I can just barely make out what the officers are saying but maybe its just the reception they have??? But it also takes a bit longer to get everything loaded on the phone from the site. so I guess to answer why people would pay a one time fee of $4.99 for a license... convenience im assuming ? Much faster loading time, plus gives more than just RR.com feeds, and it also gives other options as well like listening for weather and stuff for free (before you pay, it allows you 24/7 free access for life :) ).

Last edited:
My Blackberry-fu is weaker than normal. I downloaded and installed Blackberry App World, used the search feature to find "Scanner Radio" or "BBScanner" (both with and without quotes). The application is not found. It returns a bunch of apps with either radio or scanner in the title, but not the Scanner Radio app.

I'm using a BB 8830 on Verizon, if it matters.

Any help is appreciated!

When I originally found the app I only typed the word SCANNER in all caps in the search bar and I set the preference for "money/free" which is a dollar sign next to the search bar in the app world and the first or second thing that shows up is the app scanner radio.

If you check at the link in my first post ( BlackBerry App World - Scanner Radio ) it states is supports all Blackberries, and majority of the phone companies except Rogers in Canada and Metro PCS in USA.

the only thing I can think of is maybe ur App world is not finding it because I've had that happen with another application I was looking for before. It shows up on the app world website but not through the phone. If you want it sent to your phone via website there is a button right under the name "Scanner Radio" that says "Get It Today" and once you click it you follow the instructions for putting in your BB Email or any email that's associated on your BB for it to send you the link. Once you receive the link you click it and it will automatically come up that way and download for you through your BB App World.

The only other thing it states is that you must be running BB OS 4.5 or higher in order to get the install. Besides that it should work as long as you have enough room in your phone's memory to install apps... and have 3G or WiFi.

Hope this helps!

PS: just in case you cant find it, this links you directly to where you must put your email for your blackberry.

BlackBerry App World - BlackBerry App World

daedalus

I tried to delete my post but you are too fast for me!

I managed to find it and download it then found out my BB has too old a version of the OS. We use a BES server at work so I need to be careful about upgrading so it will need to wait until later in the week.

Thanks for your help!

Ahh yes I hate the BES stuff. My former boss had a nextel bb for his job doing security and it was on the company BES setup and he downloaded a facebook app and it messed up the system and also charging lots of money to the company's account lol...

But yes, I try to reply as quick as possible when near a pc... when I'm mobile and only have my BB, I try to read everything so I'm prepared to reply when I get to a pc if my bb isnt fast enough to post lol.

and you're very welcome.

Devilz311

There are similar apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I think they all use the same database.

ps3king

Ok, so I have Rogers here in Canada and this app does not support Rogers. Anyway I can still listen to scanner feeds?

online streaming??

nnjradiotech

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I have Rogers here in Canada and this app does not support Rogers. Anyway I can still listen to scanner feeds?

online streaming??

If you have internet on your phone, you can try to log in to radio reference's mobile site and listen directly from there. I use this all the time.

red_dog_six

rogers

If going directly to the radio reference site, will this use up to much data space?

Going to get a blackberry and want to make sure I get the right data plan so I can listen in but no go over my plan.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.