For those without LSM problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
With the understanding that the main thrust of the SDS models was to tackle problems in receiving LSM systems (and only a portion of simulcast systems are LSM systems) I would like to encourage an update to the existing x36 models if possible, (or a new version) that took the existing features and added customization of display fields like is done in the SDS but without color. This would, I think, let the handheld version operate on AA batteries like the 436, receive non-LSM as well as the 436, and be more affordable than the SDS for those without LSM problems. Perhaps to the extent of saying "You can have a max of 3 lines in the large font. You can even select from all available fields what they will display, but only the first nn characters will display." Anybody else interested?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Honestly? I own two 436 and one 536. The 536 is in my car and has worked flawlessly. In my latest car I use a 20 buck tiny mag mount and it works fine, even on the simulcast systems in upstate New York where I travel frequently. I do own an SDS100 as well...only really use it for the Connecticut State Police. I agree, the x36 model radios are fantastic

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The color display does use a bit more power than its predecessors but AFAIK, the RF Chip (TV Tuner) is the largest power consumer and heat generator in the SDS radios. At least that's how it was explained to me.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Honestly? I own two 436 and one 536. The 536 is in my car and has worked flawlessly. In my latest car I use a 20 buck tiny mag mount and it works fine, even on the simulcast systems in upstate New York where I travel frequently. I do own an SDS100 as well...only really use it for the Connecticut State Police. I agree, the x36 model radios are fantastic
Odd how the x36 line was so plagued with problems upon release and never fully resolved but now they are so awesome.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Odd how the x36 line was so plagued with problems upon release and never fully resolved but now they are so awesome.

Like most scanners they evolve and improve over time as bugs are discovered and resolved. There have been numerous firmware updates and a couple hardware mods over several years.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Like most scanners they evolve and improve over time as bugs are discovered and resolved. There have been numerous firmware updates and a couple hardware mods over several years.
You're telling me this like I didn't buy 2 536s when they came out. Sending them in for dim led and clock fixes. My point was the SDS line will turn out in time to be the best ever.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You're telling me this like I didn't buy 2 536s when they came out. Sending them in for dim led and clock fixes. My point was the SDS line will turn out in time to be the best ever.

Ok I understand, but if they didn't work how have you been using them all these years and why didn't you return them or sell them? I sincerely hope the SDS series turn out to be the best ever too!

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
eaf the only problems I had with mine were the LED/clock issues. As far as listening these radios always did what I needed them to do. The only thing that annoyed me was the SIREN app was pretty much abandoned. That had excellent potential.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
The point seems to be overlooked, I am saying that almost every scanner made started out with issues. The x96 series, the x36 series and now the SDS line. Uniden tweeted the x96 series with firmware and they turned out to what now people call great scanners. The x36 line OMG what a mess with clock, led, siren. Firmware updates for the dongle to even get it to work. A send it in to be fixed campaign for led and clock. And now we have the SDS line. My point is over time Uniden will get this line to the point that it will be labeled by future owners and awesome, problem free and great just like they do now for the x96 and x36 lines

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
eaf1956, your point is noted and right on the money. Even Maytag washers and dryers had their issues, which were very quietly resolved.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I know there were issues and repair campaigns with the X36s, but I lucked out buying mine just last year and it was perfecto mundo right out of the box with all issues addressed and corrected. I think I did read on here that the BCD536HP had a hum/buzz issue as well.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Ok I understand, but if they didn't work how have you been using them all these years and why didn't you return them or sell them? I sincerely hope the SDS series turn out to be the best ever too!
And I did sell a bunch of scanners. I never really liked the 536 personally, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good scanner. I actually had 2 at one time.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
And I did sell a bunch of scanners. I never really liked the 536 personally, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good scanner. I actually had 2 at one time.

My only complaint regarding the 436 & 536 was the small display/fonts. But that was more my problem than a fault of the scanner. Back when my vision was good that would not have been a problem at all.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
My only complaint regarding the 436 & 536 was the small display/fonts. But that was more my problem than a fault of the scanner. Back when my vision was good that would not have been a problem at all.
I never liked the glarish white screen. Coming from colored x96 screens. But, that was my issue. Still wish the Siren App would be updated since android won't work any longer. Be nice for the SDS line.

Status
Not open for further replies.