• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Force write on Orion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospect62

Hello all. I have an EDACS 800 Orion and R17A Programmer. Apparently, the Orion was programmed with V18 or 19 Programmer or RPM and I can't get into the radio to read it or write to it.

I have heard that I can somehow force a new personality into it from my R17A programmer but I have no idea how I would go about that because whenever I try to read or write to the radio I get an error.

Can anybody explain the process to me?

Thanks in advance.

sakurada29

Get in touch with Harris TAC, they will have exact procedures, although if the radio was programmed with RPM there is no going backward that I am aware of.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I have the same problem, I sent radios back to M/A Comm for factory repair back in 2008 (they have been in storage at our warehouse since then) Now I need to use them, and I only have Programmer Ver 16 and RPM Ver 20. Right in the help menu of RPM, Ver 20 says it will not read/program an Orion. So how are you supposed to program the radio if it's programmed with Ver 17 or 18. I am for force writing if some one could give me a procedure.

RK3AAG

I have the same problem, I sent radios back to M/A Comm for factory repair back in 2008 (they have been in storage at our warehouse since then) Now I need to use them, and I only have Programmer Ver 16 and RPM Ver 20. Right in the help menu of RPM, Ver 20 says it will not read/program an Orion. So how are you supposed to program the radio if it's programmed with Ver 17 or 18. I am for force writing if some one could give me a procedure.
V20 - is a ProGrammer, not RPM (RPMs have versions from 1 to 8 and a liitble bit heavyweight - distributive takes 150-250MB when packed into ZIP). ProGrammer R20 should read radio programmed by any previous version of ProGrammer, including R17 and R18.

You need to know PERS VER to make right conclusion about previously used programming software. You can get it via radio menu or RadioMaint.

Last edited:

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Easiest method is to just recover the radio with RadioMaint. DON'T overwrite the radio code when asked just erase the eeprom, push a new personality in it with whatever version you have and problem solved. Of course, make backups of all the important data like radio code, dsp/adi, tracking and feature string.

radioman2001

The software version listed is right from the help menu"RadPersMagr.exe R08B04 (8.2.1.4)" and it will not read any Orion I have.

"Of course, make backups of all the important data like radio code, dsp/adi, tracking and feature string."
How do you do that if you can't read the radio?

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
You are using RPM, that is the problem.

Orions can only be read with ProGrammer.

And RadioMaint can read that data off even if Programmer can't read the personality.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Its not hard. I have bought a few radios that were programed with a newer ver. of ProGrammer. I just open my ver. of proGrammer R18 (I think not at the right computer) Anyways pick the radio I want to program, change the rf band if needed, then just add in the system info and write to the radio. No need to read them as I have no use for whats on them anyways. Hope that was helpful. Worked on my LPE-200s, Orion, and my m7100.

radioman2001

OK, thanks will try that, now have 8 radios with the sames error, all my stock must have been reprogrammed with a newer version at the factory. What a PITA, RPM removes all previous versions, and Harris wasn't able to tell me how to keep Programmer with RPM so I have to use 2 different computers to do programming, and people thought Motorola was bad.

radioman2001

OK, Programmer RadioMaint does not read a radio programmed with RPM and RPM RadioMaint does not read a Programmer programmed radio. I was able to force a Programmer ver16 Profile into an Orion that was programmed with something newer. Don't know if it was RPM or not.
Another question, I have some M7100's that were originally programmed with Programmer, I recently read that radio with RPM and now cannot read it with Programmer. Does Harris go one further than Motorola and if the radio is even touched (read not written to ) with a newer version block access to all older versions?

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
For one, RPM can't read or write any Orions. Support for them stopped at ProGrammer.

M7100s can be upgraded pretty easily with RPM. You can even upgrade older .per files and write them.

And yes, they block radios from being read in older software. You can use RadioMaint to clear the EEPROM so you can write over it, but you can't open newer personalities in older versions.

roger51

I have big problem too,Any advance can help me how to downgrade my P7100(FPP) and M7100.Because the R18 can't read or write the radio.......please

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
If i get a chance tonight after work I might do a writeup on it and post it, since it seems to be such a popular thing these days!

Status
Not open for further replies.