Ford Explorer w/ 996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I installed my 996T in the dash with the DIN mount that came with the radio. I did have to purchase a radio face plate from wal-mart. Installed in around 10 minutes. Other radios in the picture include; TK-768, BC780xlt, and Kenwood TM-d700a. The black device on the dash is my GPS for the 996T. To the right of my radio is my laptop mount. I also have a GPS for the computer, but that is not seen in the picture. In the rear of my explorer I have my WxWorx installed. Power is drawn from the tail lights. For power, I just turn my parking lights on. Data and another GPS for the computer is ran to the front via one USB cable. The additional GPS is used in conjunction with my WxWorx software to pinpoint my location in relation to a storm.

Attachments

• DSC02975Small.JPG
    DSC02975Small.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,660

timkilbride

Database Admin
Yes, it is a havis console. Slickest thing I have ever used for mouting lots of radio with little room.
====================================================================

I have not driven it yet at dark so I honestly can't say. I would assume it does look cool though.

Last edited:

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
So, I take it you have no stereo of any kind in there now?

timkilbride

Database Admin
Sorry no antenna pixs. NMO mounted are: Tram 2m/440, Antenex 5/8wave VHF-Hi, Larsen150/450/850mhz, and a antenex 1/4wave low band. Also on the roof is a magnetic mount GPS and XM antenna.
==========================================================

There is no AM/FM radio in the explorer anymore. Completly took it out.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
No stereo?! Oh man, that is rough!

On the other hand, you have that nice 996 to take its place. :D

jmp883

Nice install......what year Explorer is yours? My 1996 Explorer has a center console that runs from the armrest/bin between the front seats all the way up to the dash. I'm reluctant to remove it in order to use a Havis console. Also, I thought Havis didn't have a console to fit the earlier Explorers.

intrepid97

"No stereo?! Oh man, that is rough!"

Sounds to me like he has XM in place of the am/fm system ;)

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
intrepid97 said:
"No stereo?! Oh man, that is rough!"

Sounds to me like he has XM in place of the am/fm system ;)

Well how's he gonna get the audio to the speakers?

nexus

Doesn't the 996 tune in the FM broadcast band? All he'd need to do is connect his speakers to the 996 and punch in whatever freq for whatever station and set it to WFM. It might not be stereo but it would work.

He could always get an MP3 player with an AM/FM tuner built-in and go that route. As usual, that's a pretty clean install. It looks good.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
jmp883 said:
Nice install......what year Explorer is yours? My 1996 Explorer has a center console that runs from the armrest/bin between the front seats all the way up to the dash. I'm reluctant to remove it in order to use a Havis console. Also, I thought Havis didn't have a console to fit the earlier Explorers.

Havis doesnt have a console for that body type. It's a standard 14" consolidator, and all you have to do is unsnap the cubbyhole area, and the cupholers, and the 14" drops in place. I would know, that console in the original poster's explorer used to be mine and I sold it to him :) Also, taking the entire factory console all the way out and dropping in a fullsize console isnt that hard, search my posts to see my explorer, which is a 2000.

Also, timkilbride, I would like to know how the audio gets from the XM to the speakers, or do you use the XM ONLY for Wxworks?

And did you end up contacting that Havis distrubutor I told you about for the faceplates? Nice looking setup, looks very familiar, even with the laptop setup :)

timkilbride

Database Admin
<Also, timkilbride, I would like to know how the audio gets from the XM to the speakers, or do you use the XM ONLY for Wxworks?

And did you end up contacting that Havis distrubutor I told you about for the faceplates? Nice looking setup, looks very familiar, even with the laptop setup>

The XM is only for WxWorxs. I have no AM/FM radio installed in the explorer anymore. I did get ahold of a Halvis distributor and got the faceplates I needed.

When I do want to liesten to FM radio I use my 780xtl. Not the best sounding audio but it does work.

Tim K

timkilbride

Database Admin
It's actually a TK-768. 128 channels. Its not type accepted so you can't use for public safety/business/ect.. use. I use it to monitor all 97 railroad channels and the seven WX frequencies. Its a great little rig but the scan speed could be a little bit better.

Tim K.

Status
Not open for further replies.