Forest Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know where the fire is? I think it's in Jefferson Co. somewhere. I'm in Loudoun VA and hearing their system patched to Jefferson Co. Also listening to my Berekely Co. ProScan stream at home and hearing dispatch for mutual aid (I think).

The last address I heard was 2971 Charles Town Road.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I think most ground ops are over with. Berkeley is\was using TAC2 on the WVIRP. Helos are using 159.285MHz for comms to drop water on the fire.

On the way home I saw a Loudoun Co. engine coming back into Loudoun on RT7.

fredva

Feed Provider
Fire

Don't know the specific location, but News 4 in D.C. talked about it on their 6 PM newscast. I believe they said it involved 100 acres and was started by a person burning brush illegally.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
We saw smoke from a wooded area maybe about 2-4 miles (from looking around backwards in the car...no, I was not driving) from RT7 in what looked like Frederick Co. VA close to Clarke Co. VA. I'm going to guess it started around 1330 or 1400.

smwincva

Premium Subscriber
Two Fires

There are 2 fires burning.

The big one is near Wardensville WV, Hardy County, WSW of Winchester VA. It began Tuesday with someone burning outside regulated times. It was 40-50 acres at midday Wednesday & expected to reach several hundred acres before being contained later this week. There is mutual aid from 7 counties (2 states) on scene. There were homes threatening Tuesday afternoon, but none were damaged.

On Tuesday & Tuesday night, 155.1 & 155.94 was active, but I have not heard much today.

The other one has a name, Buzzards Hill, near the Mount Weather complex (near Bluemont & Frogtown). I did not hear a cause, but VDOF said it was mixed hardwood in steep terrain. About 7pm I heard command say it was 7-10 acres & 60-70% contained. Mutual aid from Frederick Co MD, Frederick Co VA, & Loudoun Co VA were on scene this afternoon, but some units were released earlier this evening.

The reference to "Frederick 3" is the Va Department of Forestry Frederick County unit 3.

Frequencies with traffic include 155.6925 (P25) 155.7225 (same traffic in analog) 155.7825 (fireground, not repeated) and 159.33 (regional forestery traffic for VA, repeated)

Steve

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
There are 2 fires burning.

The big one is near Wardensville WV, Hardy County, WSW of Winchester VA. It began Tuesday with someone burning outside regulated times. It was 40-50 acres at midday Wednesday & expected to reach several hundred acres before being contained later this week. There is mutual aid from 7 counties (2 states) on scene. There were homes threatening Tuesday afternoon, but none were damaged.

On Tuesday & Tuesday night, 155.1 & 155.94 was active, but I have not heard much today.

The other one has a name, Buzzards Hill, near the Mount Weather complex (near Bluemont & Frogtown). I did not hear a cause, but VDOF said it was mixed hardwood in steep terrain. About 7pm I heard command say it was 7-10 acres & 60-70% contained. Mutual aid from Frederick Co MD, Frederick Co VA, & Loudoun Co VA were on scene this afternoon, but some units were released earlier this evening.

The reference to "Frederick 3" is the Va Department of Forestry Frederick County unit 3.

Frequencies with traffic include 155.6925 (P25) 155.7225 (same traffic in analog) 155.7825 (fireground, not repeated) and 159.33 (regional forestery traffic for VA, repeated)

Steve

Just in case someone else sees this without knowing.

155.1000 - Hardy Co. WV
155.9400 - Hardy Co. WV
155.6925 - Clarke Co. VA
155.7225 - Clarke Co. VA
155.7825 - Clarke Co. VA
159.3300 - VA State Forestry
159.2850 - WV State Forestry, VA State Forestry, and Southeast US State Forestry COMPACT (what I was hearing the Helos on. good one to have in your scanner no matter which state you're in)

Status
Not open for further replies.