Forest Service Changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazybob

I live at the foothills of the East end of the BDF and the Rx is 103.5 p.l..
I live in Running Springs. I can hear all of the repeaters. Some better than others even though I use a 6dB gain antenna tuned for 160MHz. The default output is 103.5 PL. But the repeaters are configured in such a way that if a user comes up on tone 9 for example that becomes the output tone for the repeater. It is recommended and in fact I it says so on the R5 page for Radio Reference that you monitor in CSQ mode for that very reason.

"USFS repeaters commonly repeat the CTCSS tone that was used on the input for whichever mountain was used. It's recommended that all frequencies be entered in CSQ mode. In some cases where direct mode is used on the repeater output frequency, the tone may be 103.5Hz."

I use commercial radios for monitoring the forest and walk into this trap as well. As a result I program everything in CSQ. Also remember that units often times come up and talk around rather than through the repeater.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ecps92

Thanks, didn't think any changes had occured, but worth asking.

With all the NTIA changes, PL programming on the output is becoming more common
with a Common Output tone for each Forest. Many are no longer passing the input tone

I live at the foothills of the East end of the BDF and the Rx is 103.5 p.l..

zz0468

QRT
Banned
With all the NTIA changes, PL programming on the output is becoming more common with a Common Output tone for each Forest. Many are no longer passing the input tone

PL is a fantastic tool, for what it is intended for. But when in the mode of passive listening to someone else's system, I've found that PL protecting my receivers can be problematic, especially during times of transition. I want to know what's on the frequency, not just what's coming out of a specific transmitter.

f40ph

Feed Provider
The default output is 103.5 PL. But the repeaters are configured in such a way that if a user comes up on tone 9 for example that becomes the output tone for the repeater. It is recommended and in fact I it says so on the R5 page for Radio Reference that you monitor in CSQ mode for that very reason.

The San Bernardino forest, Angeles, Los Padres, and Cleveland NF all use 103.5 output on their repeaters and have done this for many years. Their own internal repeater maps have a line stating that users should use tone 8 (103.5) when using direct mode. Yes the RR page suggests using CSQ but that is not what the USFS is saying, that's just a RR "advisory". It is a good idea to program CSQ because a user could "forget" to use tone 8 as stated on the agency map. Up in the Inyo and Mono NF, the repeater output matches the input PL tone. Down here in SoCal, that's not the case. I'd be interested to learn more about your "tone 9" example. Haven't seen that occur when I use USFS repeaters in SoCal.

Last edited:

scottyhetzel

The San Bernardino forest, Angeles, Los Padres, and Cleveland NF all use 103.5 output on their repeaters and have done this for many years. Their own internal repeater maps have a line stating that users should use tone 8 (103.5) when using direct mode. Yes the RR page suggests using CSQ but that is not what the USFS is saying, that's just a RR "advisory". It is a good idea to program CSQ because a user could "forget" to use tone 8 as stated on the agency map. Up in the Inyo and Mono NF, the repeater output matches the input PL tone. Down here in SoCal, that's not the case. I'd be interested to learn more about your "tone 9" example. Haven't seen that occur when I use USFS repeaters in SoCal.

Well stated!! I guess you are correct. It all depends if interference is happening on CSQ. I get 91.7 p.l. once in awhile here in BDF area. I posted about this but really got no where. So I'm +1 on your side. Generally stating I get 103.5 p.l. 95% of the time.

Teotwaki

USFS Comms Techs are good to listen for when they are out and about as you might hear new changes being implemented as they go site to site. Right now Angeles Comms Techs 02 and 28 are checking on the Mount Lukens microwave system due to some service issue. Talking on Forest Net. Also mentioned looking for some spread spectrum radios which may be license free point-to-point microwave terminals.

Jim
Orange County, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.