Format of UID/RID/TGID lists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TangoBlue

Premium Subscriber
A long time lurker and user of the WIki I came across the list of RIDs for a particular local system but found it did not play well with ProScan's Clipboard catcher.

I made changes to the articles data format to make easier to copy to clipboard and be structured to be easier to import. In discussing it, I should have likely looked in the Wiki FAQ to see if there was a formatting guide already, but I did not find anything explicit.

So I wanted to see if I should revert my updates or if it is ok with the policies/culture just to make such updates?

The data should be represented as:

UID:DESCRIPTION

or

TGID:DESCRIPTION

in each of the lists, which allows you to highlight, copy to clipboard and then import to the scanner management app.

One of the pages I had updated the data on for example: Chicago Midway Airport - Department of Aviation - 800 MHz P25 Phase II RID/UIDs - The RadioReference Wiki

And the forum thread discussing it: New Chicago OEMC Public Safety - 800 MHz P25

Please let me know what the proper procedure is so I can adhere to it.

Thanks,

Jef

Last edited by a moderator:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
AFAIK there is no established standard, and if one were to be set up, it would likely be real tough to implement across all the articles that have RID/UID data.

So if you want to set something up just for the articles you want to use, have at it. You can't actually damage the article; the software creates a backup of the original so it can be reverted if needed.

If it's a large list, I'd recommend copying the data into a good text based program like Notepad ++ or similar. Some folks have used Excel (to post as a csv type file) for this. Just don't use a word processor like Word; it inserts special characters all over the place that the wiki can't handle, and it's a royal PITA to remove them...Mike

TangoBlue

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! Yeah I just loaded in vocode, used a regex find find and replace to format it, then pasted it back in. I was going to do it just for my own at first but figured if I can make it easier for others to copy and paste it was better to update the wiki article.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The data should be represented as:
FYI, the forum software was interpreting the colon followed by a capital D as a smiley, e.g. :D. I edited your message to wrap your coding suggesting with the "Inline Code" mark-up so the forum software would not insert the smiley.

Status
Not open for further replies.