Former Ham Operator Wants back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gasserpe

Greetings to all: I used to be a former ham radio operator on two meters,and currently am very busy with my music career. Everything I was taught seams to be forgotten, and I will want to start over. I have a Alinco 130 commercial grade two meter all tricked out, and waiting to get back in use.
I live in an RV park in Okeechobee, Florida, kind of like in the middle of nowhere.
Any one has any ideas where to start again. I was going to sell the Alinco, but because of it unlimited transmit frequencies 137.00Mhz-172Mhz), I am going to keep it. Great for weather spotting, and emergencies.
If any one has any feed back, let me know. I forgot much, so I guess, it is like starting over.

N0IU

Greetings to all: I used to be a former ham radio operator on two meters,and currently am very busy with my music career.
This isn't Joe Walsh, is it???

If any one has any feed back, let me know.

I thought musicians hated feedback!

But seriously folks...

I was going to sell the Alinco, but because of it unlimited transmit frequencies 137.00Mhz-172Mhz), I am going to keep it. Great for weather spotting, and emergencies.
Keep the Alinco if you want, but DO NOT TRANSMIT ON IT!!! As an amateur radio operator, you are only authorized to transmit from 144MHz to 148MHz... period! Unless you are in law enforcement or fire/rescue/EMT (which apparently you are not), it is completely illegal to transmit outside of those frequencies.

As far as getting back into amateur radio, how long ago did your license expire? Licenses are good for 10 years and there is actually a 2 year grace period during which time you can not transmit, but you can simply renew your license.

If it has been longer than that, you will need to start over. Its a easier to get into amateur radio now than it ever has been. There are only 3 license classes, Technician, General and Extra and there are no more Morse code tests. There is tons of information out there, but you might want to start here: ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page There is a tab near the top labeled Licensing with several choices underneath that with links to information about getting started.

Good luck!

AND GET RID OF THAT ALINCO... NOW!!!

Last edited:

gasserpe

Thank you.

I know it is illegal to transmit outside the two meter bands, and I never did that, and never intent to, but I am going to want to keep the Alinco in case I get into weather spotting. There might be a use for it someday. We have many hurricanes here, and it would be great to keep just in case. But as it stands now, I just need to get back into it. My license expired back in 1997. I guess I will have to start over, and take a weather spotting course.
I am currently taking CERT classes, however, and completed my disaster training with the Red Cross. But like I said, I am very busy with my music career, so Ham radios are second on my list. I want to give back all the help that people gave us that wiped out my son and myself back in 2004, from Hurricane Charley. I do not believe in money donations, but rather in the field helping people.
I have many scanners that travel with me, which is so cool!
As long as I do not use my Alinco outside the two meter bands once I retain a new license, I do not think it is illegal to own. Right! I do thank you for your reply, however. God Bless...

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It looks like there's an amateur radio club in Okeechobee. There's a bit of information about them on the web at Okeechobee Amateur Radio Club They appear to have monthly meetings, so you might attend one to meet the local hams and find out about local activities. Ask them if there are any testing sessions in the area. The ARRL has a listing of exam sessions that their VEs conduct at ARRLWeb: Exam Session Search You can search by state or ZIP code.

I'd keep the Alinco. I have a couple of Alinco DR-130s that I use for APRS (a position reporting system that uses amateur radio). They are decent radios.

N0IU

As long as you understand the limitations of using your Alinco, then there are no worries.

"Giving back" is one of the things amateur radio is known for. I agree that when you give money, you are never quite sure how much goes to actually helping those who need it and how much goes into the pockets of the CEO's!

N8IAA

Well, First things first....

Is your license still valid?
He said it expired in 1997. Thirteen years is a long time ago for ham radio.
Gasserpe, try googling ham radio tests and testing. The link the other poster gave you should be a good start to find someone to 'Elmer' you back into the service.
Larry

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I hate to be the one to break the news but I discovered something about tricked out rigs when I unknowingly bought an Alinco 2M rig at a hamfest that was modded to transmit across its receive range as yours is. Several key functions were lost in the process so I had to jump through hoops returning it to factory specs. Not only Alinco but many others have the same problem, gain one feature at the sacrifice of another.

While it may be legal for a ham to transmit on any frequency in a life or death emergency provided that no other means of communications are available (and that's the sticky part) one must remember that every transmitter other than Amateur must be FCC certified according to the service in which it's used. The long and short of it is what you have amounts to an illegal radio, you cannot use it in any other service than Amateur. I've heard horror stories of the FCC coming down hard on people and even agencies who thought they could use ham rigs as a cheap and dirty alternative to the more expensive "commercial" radios, don't you be one of them. BTW, the FCC is only one of your worries. Just for the sake of argument let's say a cop pulls you over or otherwise you find yourself in a situation where some authority discovers your radio transmits on public service frequencies. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when the poo hits the fan!

WA1CRZ

The OP never said if he is Joe Walsh or not.
Do you own a Maserati that does 185?
Did you lose your drivers license too?
I dont know about you but "lifes been good to me so far".

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
No...Joe Walsh is still an active ham on AM on the west coast and doesn't live in an RV park in FL ;-).

He's a Collins collector.

RadioDaze

I think of owning a radio that transmits out of band as being a bit like owning a green laser pointer. You may only use yours for astronomy, and some other clown points one at a PD helicopter. If you're in possession of it, you could get blamed for something someone else does. It would take a unique set of circumstances, for sure, but it's just one more layer of risk vs. reward.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh you mean this guy? That's Bob Heil in the background in the Queen Mary shot, did you think Joe would use some other microphone? Heh, that's what happens when you duplicate an RCA BK44 housing and stick a couple of Heil transducers in it. (;->)

Last edited:

N0IU

Joe definitely does not live in a trailer park! Unlike some other celebrity hams, Joe actually uses his home address. I know this is his house because this is a screen shot of the street level view from the Google Earth page of WB6ACU's house in Studio City, CA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.