Formula 1 TETRA monitoring in Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE2NCG

Premium Subscriber
Well, I kown several people involved in decoding DMR but TETRA, never heard of anyone, even if we CAN decode TETRA, where will I find a TETRA system in use in Montreal?

racingfan360

That's part reason why I asked the question: if anyone wants to give it a go, the software is there to decode it. Most of the F1 comms are TETRA, so there will be lots of it about.

VE2NCG

Premium Subscriber
The little i've heard, everything supposed to be encrypted... perhaps checking the european bords?

racingfan360

Ferrari definitely encrypted at least until last year. But this year they have changed radio supplier.
It's not clear if the Reidel radios used by most teams are encrypted or not. Same goes for the FIA and FOTA. It's unlikely we will know until someone gives it a go. There are few commercial TETRA networks that use encryption given the cost. F1 might be the exception.

McLaren are NXDN, but encrypted.

mciupa

Database Admin
Can we run this program with Windows? If not, perhaps that is why there only a few that may be able to help out.

racingfan360

It's linux only at the minute: I don't think the author has any desire to port to windows.

But in saying that, as a relative linux novice, I found it quite straightforward to get running. Just a pity I don't live in, nor will be, in Montreal this weekend.

maximel

Hello Jim!

Anyone on here from Monteal that has experience of running the TETRA decoder project?
http://forums.radioreference.com/voice-control-channel-decoding-software/302347-tetra-decoding.html

The Formula 1 racing comes to town this weekend, and most of the comms will be TETRA. I can help out with likely frequencies if that helps (email or PM me)

Jim

Try 425.6600, i sound like a tetra system. Also, 450.9000, is someting like new on Montréal.

Analog:
459.7250 IFB Sky tv
462.5750 IFB Nbc
450.4250 Italian speaking

Max

racingfan360

Just to follow up on this, the Reidel TETRA system which carries F1 Teams, FOM and FIA comms is confirmed as in the clear (unencrypted). That leaves only McLaren as running encrypted (Nexedge) comms.

So if anyone wants to listen to the F1, you've got a few months (!!) to go build a TETRA decoder for the 2016 race.

Status
Not open for further replies.