Forrrest County to buy P-25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5TLF

WOW!!, how do they go from wanting 5.2 million in October to being able to do it for 2 million now?

...and why 9 million for Jones county to convert/updgrade ONE tower to MSWIN and buy all new radios, while Forrest is going to need work on THREE towers to convert their own standalone system to P-25 and also buy a boat load of new radios?

Jones must be buying top of line $6-7k APX's for all it's agencies I guess? LOL

KE5TLF

Ah yeah, that makes sense now that you mention it. The EMD just provides the infrastucture, if i'm thinking correctly now, so the 2 million is just for that part of it.

danw5211

Premium Subscriber
One of the more knowledgeable radio techs told me that the older 'brick' MTX 2000 series handhelds will have to be replaced. The STX series and later can be programmed to work in the 700 Mhz range. As can some of the tower hardware. It makes sense to add the Forrest SMR sites into the MSWIN system as they can fill in a couple of the gaps in the area.
Hattiesburg is surrounded by 4 towers. But it places them in a doughnut hole for coverage. One tower in town would fill the void... I would think.

KE5TLF

The 2 city sites will be upgraded, then MSWIN will takeover the maintenance of them. The Brooklyn site will go away since the Rock Hill covers the area it is in.

Pretty sure none of their existing radios are TDMA capable so they'll all be replaced. (eventually)

Status
Not open for further replies.