Forstyh

Status
Not open for further replies.

_godawgs_

So after seeing that godofthunder was having trouble scanning Forsyth County with his 796d, I decided that I would program mine to scan Forsyth as well and check it out. However, I too can’t get my 796d to scan it. I am pretty sure I programmed it right, but it’s been awhile since I have programmed it since I got the 396t. Anyways, does anyone that has a 796d, and can scan Forsyth County, check and see if you can scan Forsyth on the 796d. If so, how do you have it programmed, maybe I forgot to do something in the programming. Thanks

Premium Subscriber
Just a thought, have they rebanded ??? If so that would explain things .

N8IAA

1268 said:
Just a thought, have they rebanded ??? If so that would explain things .

No. I monitor them on my Pro-96 without a problem. They are the reason I got a 96 over two years ago. I live on the Gwinnett/Forsyth county line and missed listening to all the chatter from the Forsyth SO depuities.
Larry

_godawgs_

no re-band

I second that, i programmed Forsyth into my 396t and i can listen to them no prob...That’s how i knew the 796d was not scanning them...i had both scanners next to each other and only the 396t was picking them up. That’s why i was wondering if i programmed it wrong, but if i did i can’t figure out how...i have reprogrammed the 796d three times, but to no avail. It just flashes between NFM and DAT on the screen and that’s it.

N8IAA

_godawgs_ said:
I second that, i programmed Forsyth into my 396t and i can listen to them no prob...That’s how i knew the 796d was not scanning them...i had both scanners next to each other and only the 396t was picking them up. That’s why i was wondering if i programmed it wrong, but if i did i can’t figure out how...i have reprogrammed the 796d three times, but to no avail. It just flashes between NFM and DAT on the screen and that’s it.

I just read the manual for the 796. Are you programming it as a P25, 800mhz system amd have you programmed it for control channel only? Do you have all four CC's programmed in? I know how many button pushes I used to make on my 780 to get it to trunk. Miss one, and it won't work. Check pages 45 and 46 in the manual.
HTH,
Larry

_godawgs_

I have it programmed for type2/p25 800mhz, with a control channel setting of plan 2. However, I only have two control channels programmed in. I looked at the database here and it only shows Forsyth County having two control channels. Should I program all the frequencies in and then try it? I appreciate your help, it’s been awhile since I have had to program this thing, and every time I get a new scanner I forget how to program the last one. Do you have the four control channels? All I have is 866.1000 and 866.6500. Also, I programmed it exactly as described in the manual, per your reference, on pages 45 and 46.

jjconnelly

I've had no problem with the 396T, 996T, Pro96, Pro2096 and GRE. You only need to program the Control channel. As for the backup Control channel that is not required unless they change from the primary (866.1000). This happens maybe twice a year as they test it for a few days. 95% of the time it's on the primary (866.1000). I'm thinking there is a firmware or reband issue on your 796d. Place the Primary Control channel only in the unit under default Motorola 9600 mode and scan. You should see talkgroups show up like 2001 (North) 2002 (South) etc... Good luck... JC

N8IAA

_godawgs_ said:
Do you have the four control channels? All I have is 866.1000 and 866.6500. Also, I programmed it exactly as described in the manual, per your reference, on pages 45 and 46.

I use 866.1 for primary control channel. 866.65, and 867.6625 as the alternate control channels. I also have 867.8625 programmed in. It is an alternate CC, as well as, a data channel. These are confirmed using Pro96com to monitor the system. It is wise to put all four in just in case they do roll the channel. Not having a 796, 12.5khz step is what is needed. Unidens can be tiresome in their programming. Had a 780 at one time. I like my 96 and use Win96 for programming.
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:

_godawgs_

My bad guys...I totally forgot about this thread. It was indeed a firmware update that I did not upload. It solved all the problems and scans without a hitch now...Thanks for all the replies.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I'm just curious, where is Forstyh County? :) Just yanking your chain, once when I was doing a traffic report, I called the Cobb Cloverleaf the Clobb Coverleaf!

Status
Not open for further replies.