Forsyth County going encryption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scseh

Premium Subscriber
A Facebook User posted a topic that Forsyth is going to go encryption. Link to post and contents of post are below.

Anyone have info on this?

https://m.facebook.com/groups/FocusonForsyth/permalink/2579450648746902/

CHANGES TO LOCAL FIRE/RESCUE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT COMMUNICATIONS COMING

If you have a fire and rescue scanner or police frequency scanner, soon you may not be hearing anything on it as Forsyth County moves to a new type of radio system which uses multiple frequency switching and digitizing similar to military radio systems which "frequency hop" to protect communications from public listening.

Why you ask? Well, in the military the bad guys monitor communications in order to kill our troops. I guess one argument for law enforcement to adopt encription is so the bad guys won't be able to monitor their movements and that is a good thing, but for those of us who have enjoyed keeping up with what is going on using a scanner, we will miss it.

In many communities where these radios are already in use, law and fire/ rescue agencies have offered to provide local news agencies with a monitoring receiver so they can keep up with the happenings. I do hope ours does that as well.

Last edited:

N8IAA

A Facebook User posted a topic that Forsyth is going to go encryption. Link to post and contents of post are below.

Anyone have info on this?

https://m.facebook.com/groups/FocusonForsyth/permalink/2579450648746902/

CHANGES TO LOCAL FIRE/RESCUE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT COMMUNICATIONS COMING

If you have a fire and rescue scanner or police frequency scanner, soon you may not be hearing anything on it as Forsyth County moves to a new type of radio system which uses multiple frequency switching and digitizing similar to military radio systems which "frequency hop" to protect communications from public listening.

Why you ask? Well, in the military the bad guys monitor communications in order to kill our troops. I guess one argument for law enforcement to adopt encription is so the bad guys won't be able to monitor their movements and that is a good thing, but for those of us who have enjoyed keeping up with what is going on using a scanner, we will miss it.

In many communities where these radios are already in use, law and fire/ rescue agencies have offered to provide local news agencies with a monitoring receiver so they can keep up with the happenings. I do hope ours does that as well.

Yes. They have encrypted some TGID's.

As far as frequency hopping, that is how trunk systems work. If one voice frequency is busy, it hops to the next. Nothing new there.

Larry

Oh, if the FB poster was using the scanner pictured in the post, they haven't heard Forsyth county for quite a long time.

It's been a long time since the late 90's. There were many years, until I got my first P-25 digital scanner, that I didn't even hear FC. Times are a changing.

Last edited:

TxDuster

Premium Subscriber
The main dispatch sheriff office Talkgroups are still open and as far as I know intend to stay that way (always subject to change). Everything else including all fire/ems are encrypted. There are some TG's that are not encrypted but are only used for interoperability.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
It's very easy to understand why they might want to encrypt their Public Works and Water departments!!
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Well something happened..so they closed the doors on everyone in that county.

The E will avenge us all.

Dustin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ButchGone

I still have not heard a rational explanation for encrypting fire department networks, other than they don't want people to know what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.