Forsyth County / Winston Salem, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gippersdad

Hi all! New to the board/new to radio scanning...be kind to me if I ask stupid questions! But I need help, I really do.

I live just outside of Winston Salem, NC. I bought an old police scanner within a week of a tornado taking away a house just up the street from me. I did not like that happening, without me even knowing my family was in danger...so I began to set up my emergency station in the basement...all of it battery powered in case of power failure.

Anyway, so I bought this old scanner. I know nothing about scanners. It gets the Fire and EMS radio, but NO Police. Lengthy Internet searches tell me that all of the frequencies for Forsyth County and Winston Salem police on this site are wrong. But no other site has the right ones, and most...point a guy straight back here.

I also found out they are wrong because Winston Salem and Forsyth County Police both went to 800 MHz a few years back, and this site still has all of the old 400 MHz frequencies. So no problem...right? I'll just sell this old scanner, and get one that goes up to 800...or so I thought.

Just before buying, I ran across something that told me both Wonston Salem and Forsyth County Police...are communicating on a DIGITAL system. So, I don't know what to do, or what to buy.

Does anyone know if they are still simulcasting on Analog...even if they are up in the new 800 Mhz frequencies? I can't check...because my current scanner only goes up to 512. I'd hate to buy yet another one, only to find out it won't work either.

And then there are all of these different systems...trunking, not trunking, smart, dumb, supercalifragilistic, APCO, Motorola II...I don't even know what any of that means!

I just want to be able to listen to the Sherriff in my town, and the Police from Winston Salem. Can anyone tell me what I need in order to be able to do that? Do I have to buy a digital scanner to do it where I live? I am thoroughly confused by all of this, and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kennedy

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
Hi all! New to the board/new to radio scanning...be kind to me if I ask stupid questions! But I need help, I really do.

I live just outside of Winston Salem, NC. I bought an old police scanner within a week of a tornado taking away a house just up the street from me. I did not like that happening, without me even knowing my family was in danger...so I began to set up my emergency station in the basement...all of it battery powered in case of power failure.

Anyway, so I bought this old scanner. I know nothing about scanners. It gets the Fire and EMS radio, but NO Police. Lengthy Internet searches tell me that all of the frequencies for Forsyth County and Winston Salem police on this site are wrong. But no other site has the right ones, and most...point a guy straight back here.

I also found out they are wrong because Winston Salem and Forsyth County Police both went to 800 MHz a few years back, and this site still has all of the old 400 MHz frequencies. So no problem...right? I'll just sell this old scanner, and get one that goes up to 800...or so I thought.

Just before buying, I ran across something that told me both Wonston Salem and Forsyth County Police...are communicating on a DIGITAL system. So, I don't know what to do, or what to buy.

Does anyone know if they are still simulcasting on Analog...even if they are up in the new 800 Mhz frequencies? I can't check...because my current scanner only goes up to 512. I'd hate to buy yet another one, only to find out it won't work either.

And then there are all of these different systems...trunking, not trunking, smart, dumb, supercalifragilistic, APCO, Motorola II...I don't even know what any of that means!

I just want to be able to listen to the Sherriff in my town, and the Police from Winston Salem. Can anyone tell me what I need in order to be able to do that? Do I have to buy a digital scanner to do it where I live? I am thoroughly confused by all of this, and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kennedy

First off let me welcome you to the site.

Second I know that this site has the most up to date information that is out there. If you would look at the top of the page where it shows in yellow Database Forums Wiki Blog, click on the Database and an interactive map will come with the United States. Click on NC and an interactive map of NC will come up. You can either go down to the bottom of the page and click on the county or use the cursor on the map.

I looked in Forsythe County and you will need a Digital Scanner to monitor Forsythe County and WInston Salem PD. They are on a Digital Trunked System.

I do not know where you got that this site still shows them in the 400 MHZ Band because I looked and it is right on the money for Forsyhte County.

It would also help to look in the WIKI and get familiar with trunked systems and digital scanners before you make your purchase. Hope this helps.

gippersdad

Hi Greg, thanks for your help! I really appreciate you taking the time out.

I am a bit confused though. I went in through the map, like you said...and just to make sure, I just did it again after you said it. When I get to Forsyth County, I am getting this:

Forsyth County

Sheriff

Frequency Input License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
460.02500 465.02500 KIU783 RM 107.2 PL 1 Sheriff FM
460.22500 465.22500 KIU783 RM 107.2 PL 2 Sheriff FM
460.37500 465.37500 KIU783 RM 107.2 PL 3 Sheriff FM
460.35000 465.35000 WPIA327 RM 107.2 PL 4 Sheriff FM

Winston-Salem, City of

Frequency Input License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
460.62500 465.62500 KUJ558 RM 107.2 PL 1 Fire Dispatch FM
460.60000 465.60000 KUJ558 RM 107.2 PL 2 Fire FM
154.43000 KUJ558 BM 107.2 PL Fire FM
151.74500 82.5 PL Rescue FM
151.77500 82.5 PL Rescue FM
460.30000 465.30000 KLS490 RM 107.2 PL 1 Police East Dispatch FM
460.45000 465.45000 KLS490 RM 107.2 PL 2 Police West Dispatch FM
460.40000 465.40000 KLS490 RM 107.2 PL 3 Police FM
460.20000 465.20000 KLS490 RM 107.2 PL 4 Police FM
460.37500 465.37500 KLS490 RM 107.2 PL 5 Police FM

gippersdad

Is there something else on that page that I am just not seeing? I am sure there is, because you just told me there is...LOL...but where am I going wrong?

This is going to be one of those things that, when I see it, I want to smack myself. But before that happens...I am just bewildered.

CCHLLM

You're going right past the trunked info as you're scrolling down to "Frequencies", so you're seeing only the old info. The top two blue bands mark where all the trunked info is. Stop at the second blue band where you see "Trunked Radio Systems in Forsyth County" and click on one of the heading choices under that.

The only thing still active in conventional form in Forsyth County through the comm centers is the County Fire vhf dispatch frequency of 154.205 for the paging of county fire and rescue responses, and a little bit of state rescue (155.280) and hospital-to-ambulance (155.340) when legacy frequencies are called for. EMS is all digital trunking and paging. Some of the fire departments have retained their licenses for the old vhf freqs for simplex tactical purposes, but how much they're utilized will vary from department to department, and I'm not sure how long that practice will endure in the face of newer narrow band rules and licensing issues.

Last edited:

gippersdad

ahhhhhh...OK, alright, now I see it! Bottom line is...this old scanner I bought is basically a paperweight here in Forsyth County, and even if I got one that is 800Mhz capable...it will still be useless. Its a digital scanner, or nothing around here...right?

Sucks for we Dads looking out for our families, who can not go out and blow 500 bucks...but its great for the criminals who can just steal them...LOL. At least someone will know what the Police are up to!

But anyway...I hate that the answer is what it is, but I sincerely thank you guys for giving it to me straight. You saved me more money and aggravation, as I would have bought an 800 Mhz analogue paperweight if not for your help.

Thanks guys!

CCHLLM

I wouldn't call it a paperweight yet. You can still scan all the surrounding counties since, for the time being at least, they're still VHF and UHF, so give it a shot. Even Guilford with its 800 trunked system still dispatches Fire and EMS on conventional VHF and UHF freqs. The state's VIPER 800 trunked stuff is analog for now and will be for a bit longer, so if you did have an analog trunker, you'd be OK for a coupla more years. The NC Forest Service, SBI, and Wildlife are still analog VHF, so there are some more things to listen to.

Last edited:

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> so I began to set up my emergency station in the basement...all of it battery powered in case of power failure.

If you upgrade to a digital scanner, consider using your current scanner for monitoring local amateur radio channels that would be used during weather events, as well as the National Weather Service broadcasts.

As WX4CBH alluded to, there is still alot of VHF and UHF public safety in your area. Monitoring neighboring counties' fire dispatch channels can sometimes also give you an earlier indication when severe weather in approaching.

gippersdad

awesome!

You guys are great! I am glad I came here. VERY helpful!

Thank you to one and all!

gippersdad

OK, time to revisit this. I broke down, dug deep, and bought the Radio Shack Pro 96 Digital scanner. Cost a pretty penny...but here it sits on my desk.

Now, I am trying to program it. This book is written in Heiroglyphics...I am completely lost. Can anyone offer English language instructions for programming this thing?

Thanks to all who can help!

-Gov

gippersdad

OK, you know what...I have now been scanning the net, trying to figure out how to program this thing and...man, this is too high tech for me.

Let me change the question:

is there anyone in or around Clemmons, NC who will program this thing for a fee? I have a 500 dollar paperweight here...and I am a little frustrated.

Thanks,

Gov

unklefester

I'm in just down the road from ya in Advance.......I have the Win96 software that I use n my pro-2096.....I can program it for ya.....no charge........I'll pm ya with my phone number......I am leaving town Wed. morning and won't be back till Sunday.......

gippersdad

VERY cool!

So, I am new to all of this scanner stuff. Everything I can think to type into google leads me right back to this website.

I get stuck, I leave a note on the message board here, and before I can go to bed I get a response.

Someone I have never met before in this life (Fester) responds "Not only will I help you, but I will invite you into my home and we can get it done tomorrow."

That's the kind of thing that makes a guy just want to keep faith in mankind! Oh, he got me right with this scanner too and when he was done, I just started trying to come up with SOMEthing I can do for him! I haven't come up with it yet...LOL.

Thanks Fester! I can't tell you how much your help meant to me! That was just a fine thing to do for a complete stranger! You are a good man, sir!

-Kennedy

unklefester

glad I could help ya man.........since you've had time to play with it.......if there's anything you want to change.....just let me know...........

Status
Not open for further replies.