Fort Collins Police "Open and Transparent"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuzafuzz

In an editorial published Sept 7th, Fort Collins' police chief boasted of the department's open and transparent philosophy. Does that mean they are no longer running full time encryption?

While I understand he is speaking to broader issues, it's difficult to take the chief seriously when he talks of openness and transparency while simultaneously encrypting routine and non-sensitive radio traffic.

Open and Transparent:
Hutto: Fort Collins police open, transparent

Secret Squirrel:
Fort Collins police to silence public radio broadcast | The Coloradoan | coloradoan.com

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Given recent events, not surprising. Very doubtful it will usher in a change in the encryption policy.

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
CSU PD

Keeton155, I believe CSU PD is encrypt, right around the time or shortly after Ft. Collins PD went encrypt.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Any hope of the new person will put fcps tact 1 2 and 3 back in the clear?

Tactical channels in the clear? I wouldn't bet on it. Dispatch is a different question, but still highly unlikely. There is a nationwide trend, and that trend is not leaning towards transparency.

Keeton155, I believe CSU PD is encrypt, right around the time or shortly after Ft. Collins PD went encrypt.

CSU PD took a couple of years. They might be able to select encryption since clear traffic can be heard occasionally, but it's mostly encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.