Fort Irwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
All,

I've got a submission here for a two-site system with the same SysID/WACN as the Fort Irwin system, but the frequencies for both sites are 400 MHz and very different than the 380 MHz frequencies shown on the Fort Irwin system. Talkgroups are also very different.

Before I go in and start making changes, is anyone aware of major changes to the Fort Irwin system, or is there perhaps another system sharing the same SysID in the Barstow area?

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Don't have any specific system info, though the submitter has been a pretty solid contributor over the years.
For the system, as we have seen before the DoD does do some strange things and has duplicated SysID before.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Don't have any specific system info, though the submitter has been a pretty solid contributor over the years.
For the system, as we have seen before the DoD does do some strange things and has duplicated SysID before.

The submitter identified this as USMC Logistics Base Barstow but has corrected himself. He was receiving from I-10 and not I-15.

However, knowing that DoD does some weird things with our tax dollars (wouldn't it make sense to share master sites for systems located in close proximity to one another and save some money?), and given the differences from his excellent submission and the Fort Irwin listing, I have a sneaky suspicion it may be two systems.

If there's anyone out in that neck of the woods, can you do a little research?

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
However, knowing that DoD does some weird things with our tax dollars (wouldn't it make sense to share master sites for systems located in close proximity to one another and save some money?), and given the differences from his excellent submission and the Fort Irwin listing, I have a sneaky suspicion it may be two systems.

Can't help specifically with this one, but agreed on the above. Case in point the two separate large 14C systems in San Diego. :)

Paysonscanner

The submitter identified this as USMC Logistics Base Barstow but has corrected himself. He was receiving from I-10 and not I-15.

If there's anyone out in that neck of the woods, can you do a little research?

A partial explanation for not combining the systems is that Fort Irwin is an Army facility and the logistics base is a Marine facility. I know from where we used to live in CA that the National Park Service, the US Forest Service and the US Fish and Wildlife Service share all kinds of resources, most especially in fire management. My late wonderful husband was a volunteer firefighter in the little county we lived there. so he got to observe this. Nearly every wildland fire dispatch center in the country is interagency, lots of agencies being dispatched from the same centers.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the military services are quite as integrated. That's my impression, but I'm no one's expert on the military, I'm a retired R.N. so what do I know?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I could be wrong, but I don't think the military services are quite as integrated. That's my impression, but I'm no one's expert on the military, I'm a retired R.N. so what do I know?

No, you're not wrong; the military services (and government agencies in general) are traditionally very parochial; I think it's partly a question of roles and missions being so strongly ingrained that they can't think very far outside the box, but also so each can justify their piece of the pie at budget time.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Can't help specifically with this one, but agreed on the above. Case in point the two separate large 14C systems in San Diego. :)

Here's a thought. . . one nationwide M-core master site for each service (Navy/Marine Corp, Army and Air Force). Put zone controllers in close proximity to many bases/facilities so if the link to the master site goes down, the facilities in a zone are still able to talk to one another. Connect the systems with ISSI for some interoperability.

Oops, there I go thinking logically again. Darn Catholic school, teaching logic and critical thinking.

Well, as to the topic at hand, I think I'm going to enter this as a separate system, and if new information comes to light we can change it.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Just for reference

From memory, I believe there are regional military fire departments for San Diego, Hawaii, Tidewater, and San Antonio. Serving Marine, Navy, Air Force, and maybe Army.

Update - I seem to be wrong about Tidewater and San Diego. They are regional Navy FDs. (But there is apparently 1 shared Navy / Marine base at Tidewater).

But Langley shares a TRS - Joint Base Langley-Eustis Trunking System, Various, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies - with Army, NASA, and Air Force. With 3 different fire dispatch TGs. (Maybe NASA is served by the City FD).

Hawaii has PACMERS TRS - Pacific Mobile Emergency Radio System (PACMERS) Trunking System, Various, Hawaii - Scanner Frequencies - pretty sure that all 4 services have bases (and fire stations) on Honolulu/Oahu. USCG is there also. 18 law enforcement talkgroups listed plus TGs for 2 federal FDs (Navy and USAF).

[ Boeing has a TRS on Lackland AFB in Texas - 451 mhz - Boeing (Lackland Air Force Base) Trunking System, San Antonio, Texas - Scanner Frequencies - interesting ]

In Bexar County Texas, the military uses United States Air Force (3D6) Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies which seems to include USAF FD and Army FD and maybe VA FD also. I know they have a regional military FD in the area. Not sure exactly which bases that it covers.

There is some inter-service cooperation showing here. Not a heck of alot - but some.

Paysonscanner

Just for reference

From memory, I believe there are regional military fire departments for San Diego, Hawaii, Tidewater, and San Antonio. Serving Marine, Navy, Air Force, and maybe Army.

Update - I seem to be wrong about Tidewater and San Diego. They are regional Navy FDs. (But there is apparently 1 shared Navy / Marine base at Tidewater).

But Langley shares a TRS - Joint Base Langley-Eustis Trunking System, Various, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies - with Army, NASA, and Air Force. With 3 different fire dispatch TGs. (Maybe NASA is served by the City FD).

Hawaii has PACMERS TRS - Pacific Mobile Emergency Radio System (PACMERS) Trunking System, Various, Hawaii - Scanner Frequencies - pretty sure that all 4 services have bases (and fire stations) on Honolulu/Oahu. USCG is there also. 18 law enforcement talkgroups listed plus TGs for 2 federal FDs (Navy and USAF).

[ Boeing has a TRS on Lackland AFB in Texas - 451 mhz - Boeing (Lackland Air Force Base) Trunking System, San Antonio, Texas - Scanner Frequencies - interesting ]

In Bexar County Texas, the military uses United States Air Force (3D6) Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies which seems to include USAF FD and Army FD and maybe VA FD also. I know they have a regional military FD in the area. Not sure exactly which bases that it covers.

There is some inter-service cooperation showing here. Not a heck of alot - but some.

Thanks for that, it's helpful!

I misstated something in an earlier post. I said "I'm a retired R.N. so what do I know? ?" I meant to say that as a nurse by education and experience in civilian settings, I don't know much about the military. Nurses obviously know a lot and they are essential in most aspects of health care. I'm glad another R.N. did not see what I said first and give me hell for it!

Last edited:

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
SysID: 296

Attaching few missing links that hasn’t been posted yet on this thread...

ChrisP notes reporting 5-16 and 5-17 is Barstow CA Marine Logistic Center. Logged in Summer, 2019.

The thread with 296 system notes:
2016 Notes: Same 296 sites can also be heard from I-15 area.
380 site and 406 sites were also logged on the same day in 2014 from I-15 area.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
any info yet on if MCLB Fire for Barstow is going to be on this new system or if they remained on San Bernardino's system after the P25 transition? No info has been located for them yet for SB P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.