Fort Lauderdale area scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Train

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone,

I am looking into buying a scanner after many years of not having a scanner. Last time I owned a scanner, there was no type of trunking or digital scanners around, yet needed. I live in the Fort Lauderdale area and wanting to pick up the local stuff. I went on the policescanner.net and entered the information, but I'm not 100% sure of what it was saying. Do I need just a trunking scanner or do I need a digital scanner? Anyone have any suggestions of what is needed for the Ft. Lauderdale area?

Thanks,

E-Train

epersson

Feed Provider
Pretty much all Broward, Palm Beach and alot of Miami and Miami/Dade are all on one trunking system or another. Some have digital transmissions but most are analog, some are rebanded some not, but pretty much all are some sort of trunking systems.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
The only digital trunked system at present in Broward County is the Hollywood system, a site hung off the Broward system.

Dade County still relies on smoke signals so no worries there. (Just kidding, Andy!) Dade fire is on analog UHF conventional repeaters while their police use an EDACS system.

Palm Beach County uses analog on its Big-M trunked system for most public safety traffic. The 3 municipalities of Boynton Beach, Delray, and Boca Raton have their own systems slaved off the PBC controller, but those 3 are digital. Other municipalities have been slowly joining the county system over the years, including most recently Riviera Beach.

Monroe County (the Keys) uses a Motorola digital trunked system for fire and sheriff, so when you visit the Keys you will want a scanner than can handle this.

I agree that either the latest portable or mobile Uniden scanners are the best choice. I tried the GRE/Radio Shack model and was thoroughly underwhelmed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.