Fort Wayne, IN - Bids for radio system taken, left closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I'm very familiar with both Motorola and Harris P25 equipment.

If the two system brands were identical in functionality and performance, the dramatically superior design and quality of Motorola's subscriber equipment (primarily the portable radios, which represent the bulk of the money for subscriber equipment) definitely gives Motorola a huge edge. Put simply, nothing Harris (or the legacy brands before it) can hold a candle to the venerable XTS5000, and the newer APX radios are superior to the XTS line by a respectable margin.

Harris is way behind the curve when it comes to the design of a portable radio product for public safety use. While the M7x00 mobile radios are very good, and quite competive with Motorola's latest mobile radios in quality, Motorola dominates the portable radio side of the market and that is arguably the most visible part of the system, and the one that the greatest demands are made on.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Just remember that Fort Wayne/Allen County is interested in upgrading to a P-25 system in this next round of updates (not just P-25 voice on a Motorola 3600 Baud system).

Status
Not open for further replies.