Fortynine Mountain VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

officer_415

Database Admin
Is there anyone near Fortynine Mountain that can monitor the following frequencies?

Modoc County (CA) is supposed to have one or more repeaters up there. Keep an eye out for activity/PL tones.

Thanks!

KF6NFW

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I have heard activity on them for the last month. Wasnt sure what was going on for sure. Let me look in data logs and see if I have ctcss tones for you. MODOC is my neighbor county.

KF6NFW

Premium Subscriber
I found 127.3 on 153.8600. I dont have much other activity from them. Just enough to get in the registry here.

officer_415

Database Admin
I believe that's going to be Payne Peak (west of Cedarville). The Fortynine Mountain repeaters should use 151.4 PL, I'm just not sure which frequencies they have there.

KF6NFW

Premium Subscriber
Payne Peak is 45 miles straight sought of me. It is very possible to hear this one. I am in Lakeview Oregon, half way up of Black Cap Mountain. I am not familiar with Fortynine Mt.
I am unable to hear ANYTHING East of HWY 395, which is the base of ridge line running North and South through the area. I am unable to hear anything In Nevada unless airborne, and much further South than Alturas, is a difficult task.
I am using 2 x11 element Yagis, on a 40Ft twr, at roughly 5k ft elevation, on side of Black Cap mountain. We dont hear a lot of things from here. Earth is a hell of RF shield when she gets in the way LOL.

It is also a leading issue in our own EMS depts looking for other solutions, so Keep an eye out for changes possibly coming to Lake county Oregon in the next yr if EM gets his desire. We are unable to hear our mobiles when north of town. Much of our county has zero coms unless you are willing to do HF or Sat. Our county is looking at a complete new system if he is authorized through budget.

I own an emergency prep, and consulting company, and work closely with many of the local counties and yes I could make a phone call for some of this info., I also enjoy the task and journey of chasing signals.
( I am still JUST A kid at heart with my 10 channel crystal controlled Regency stuck in the 70's)

officer_415

Database Admin
Fortynine Mountain is about 17 miles east of Payne Peak, just across the Nevada state line. It should have a repeater on 153.860 / 151.4 PL, and I believe there's a repeater on at least one of the other frequencies I listed above (with the same PL).

KF6NFW

Premium Subscriber
Okay thats what I assumed you meant for Fortynine, after I looked it up. I just know there is nothing in Cali. in that area that fits profile. Everything in NV is a dead spot to me. Mountains in the way.

I will set up a dedicated rcvr for those freqs for a week and see what I get from them. Keep in mind we are in the desert with a sudden mountain range, so what it may appear on the map as relative close and easy, there is often a dammed mountain in the path. However I can hear a decent area of N Cali. I can see Mt. Shasta about a hundred miles away most decent days, and hear many stations in Siskiyou and Modoc counties. I hear Yreka better than expected even.
Have a good night. I will keep an antenna pointed that way if possible.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
I guess I should have made note that that's the high point of Fortynine Mountain. Google Earth will show you some radio sites near 41 34 04N, 119 54 23W.

To my knowledge, Fortynine Mtn doesn't have any alternate names. It's in the USGS geographic place names catalog.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
I did a quick and dirty search of Fortynine and found Nevada DOT, Forestry, and Nevada Energy. I didn't do any more searching. Most likely Federal, private carriers, and of course Modoc county are up there too.

KF6NFW

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so, I see 136.5 used for MODOC county off Grizzly Peak, Oregon. ( About 15 miles LOS from my home) I see 127.3 on 153.8600.(Payne Peak, Ca) 45 miles straight south.
I know the database indicates the same, but I am reading direct to ensure data.

I had to redirect scanner to fire service this last week as we have the Cougar Peak Fire burning within 15 miles of my house, and I wanted to listen to crews closer. So, No other data collected this week on MODOC county.

Status
Not open for further replies.