Forum Devoted To Tutorials On Setting Up Online Feeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greetings to the RR Staff,

Might I please submit to you the following suggestion and questions for your consideration?

Would it be possible to set up a Forum strictly for technical tutorials and guides on setting up online scanner feeds and broadcasts? I mean, perhaps a locked forum with ONLY guides and tutorials, excluding all the listings and posts of people's online feeds and general discussions?

I saw there is a section for online scanner feeds, but it appears the main function there is so people can list their online feed sites and discuss them rather than help others with technical setup articles to assist others in getting their scanners online. Trying to locate a good step-by-step guide amongst all the other 20-something plus pages of posts is rather difficult. After scanning through some eight to ten-plus pages of posts without finding any actual specific guide, and browsing through post after post trying to locate some type of info inside the threads, I kinda gave up looking. (Yes, it's possible I might have missed the info from impatience with having to read each and every post thread looking for a guide)

It would be really great if the administration would consider setting up a section strictly for posting up tutorials and general step-by-step guides from start to finish on how to set up an online scanner for broadcast. If possible, for guides listing specific software titles, downloads, and server setup info for each specific tutorial and/or guide type. Maybe in a Premium Access Subscriber area? If not, then possibly and preferably a locked type forum would be great, that only moderators and admins can post tutorials and guides submitted to RadioReference in, and with read-only access for members in order to keep the info clean and easy to access.

Thanks for your time and considerations.

If I have overlooked a topic that addresses this specific answer, please point me towards it, and feel free to remove this topic and accept my apology for posting it. I would also appreciate your assistance and direction towards where to find the detailed guides and info i'm looking for.

Thank you again!

If I am not mistaken , That is what the WKI is?:0

Thanks... guess i'm still overlooking it, but i'm still not seeing any guides concerning the scanner to computer interfaces, software needed to upload broadcast in streaming audio, nor accessing and setting up a server to broadcast your scanner stream from your business to the internet, nor on acquiring an IP location for the same. (Seeing some info that IceCast has posted on their website, but not here on RR)

Sorry for my blindness.... Care to post a url to the info on this site? *blink*

Thanks again.........

Back to the original question -

Would the Administration of RadioReference be willing to post up a forum with detailed directions for uploading and broadcasting streaming scanner feeds online so the basic user will have a guide to follow for their setup? NOT necessarily for RadioReference streams, but streaming broadcasts in general. If not, no problems... I think I found what I was seeking on another forum.

Thanks!

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Would the Administration of RadioReference be willing to post up a forum with detailed directions for uploading and broadcasting streaming scanner feeds online so the basic user will have a guide to follow for their setup? NOT necessarily for RadioReference streams, but streaming broadcasts in general. If not, no problems... I think I found what I was seeking on another forum.
Since we already have a forum dedicated to Streaming scanners I don't see why a thread could be created and set to Sticky.

Otherwise the Wiki would be a good place for it. I don't believe it exists. Either way someone would need to create something like this in either location.

Wayne, thanks for your reply.

I did look, and couldn't find anything about the actual setup and configuration on RadioReference. I did see that RR runs streams with IceCast, but nothing here in the way of a setup guide per se.

The info I found as mentioned in my previous post can be seen at this url:
(My apologies if I shouldn't post this url... please remove it)
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=9&t=15426

The author has some very basic and easy to follow instructions for FREE broadcasting with the use of Windows Media Encoder. It would really be great if the staff or even possibly one of the members at RadioReference could create some guides for the various methods of streaming scanner feeds that are as easy to follow as this one is, and like you suggested, sticky note them for easy access.

I tried this method and it does work quite well, although it may be difficult for someone to use if they are on an IP that constantly changes each time they sign on. With Windows Encoder you have to give the IP number for people to connect to and listen, so if it changes... well... you see the problem. For smaller scale broadcasting it's ok, but limits to about 50 users receiving the feed at once.

I think the other options are IceCast and Teamspeak?

Thanks again for your consideration and reply!

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
If someone posts an actual tutorial in the streaming forum, I'll make it a sticky, someone just has to put the whole instructions there, all types, an there's many more out there these days, instead of just winamp, icecast, shoutcast, windows media player, real player, teamspeak servers.

Create'em and I'll sticky them.

Streaming Scanners and Radios Online Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=111

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'd strongly recommend that for this type of information, the Wiki be the place to create it.

There is currently a wiki category for Online scanners:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Online_Radios

If someone has a tutorial or wants to put one together I'd recommend creating a page, categorizing with that above category, and letting it go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.