Forum marked as read error

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlmr

After I scan a forum for threads that interest me I finish by marking the forum as read using the drop down menu for this. In prior versions, this would also mark any sub-forums as also being read.

An example of this is the for sale forum with the seller feedback ratings sub-forum.

What I'm now noticing is that marking the for sale forum as read still clears the visual indication of the feedback forum but when I go one level up in the layout, I realize the feedback forum is NOT marked as read. Is this in error or do I just need to learn a new way of operating? I'd prefer that the sub-forums not falsely be shown as being read if they're not.

Another example are in the state forums where there is a breaking news forum for that state inside the state forum.

Is this being noticed by anyone else?

JESSERABBIT

I am not seeing the headers in sub-forums show in bold blue that there are new posts. Have tried several things without success. I am logged in under my username when this happens. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
wlmr, why do you mark them read? After a certain time limit your cookie times out and causes all old threads to be set as read.

Jesserabbit, it sounds like a cookie issue. I have no idea otherwise.

wlmr

wlmr, why do you mark them read? After a certain time limit your cookie times out and causes all old threads to be set as read.

Jesserabbit, it sounds like a cookie issue. I have no idea otherwise.

Habit I guess! I stumbled upon marking forums as read so that I could look at the forum list @ spot any forum I hadn't at least looked through. Also makes looking through the new posts search simpler, I can scan right past anything that isn't bolded.
As far as the cookie timing out, I have enough trouble with being logged out of the forums while my back is turned & then no longer knowing what's been looked at before.

Not a deal breaker in any instance as you may notice by the lack of my pushing the issue after my initial post back in July!

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Habit I guess! I stumbled upon marking forums as read so that I could look at the forum list @ spot any forum I hadn't at least looked through. Also makes looking through the new posts search simpler, I can scan right past anything that isn't bolded....
Just for the record, I do exactly this myself. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.