Yaesu: Found a Yaesu FT-102 for sale for $1250– rip-off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK7BIV

I found a couple of Yaesu HF transceivers for sale– one is an FT-102 for $1250 and the other is an FT-767GX for $1500. They both look to be in good shape from the photos, and the listing says they're "lightly used" and that he tested them and they "seem so be working just fine."

Should I go for one of them, or is this a rip-off? I'm planning on taking my General exam sometime soon and I need (want) a good HF radio.

WR9A

Feed Provider
Definite rip-off. In excellent used condition, they should be only about 15-20% of that price! If they were in the $150-$200 price range, then they *might* be worth it. They are OLD radios and not what a new ham who's looking for a good HF radio wants. A brand new Icom IC-7300 is only $1099 right now at most major retailers, plus there's a $100 Icom rebate through the end of the year.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I found a couple of Yaesu HF transceivers for sale– one is an FT-102 for $1250 and the other is an FT-767GX for $1500. They both look to be in good shape from the photos, and the listing says they're "lightly used" and that he tested them and they "seem so be working just fine."

Should I go for one of them, or is this a rip-off? I'm planning on taking my General exam sometime soon and I need (want) a good HF radio.

Some people think they poop gold bricks. I've seen a lot of radios going for really high prices that make no sense.
A lot of it is based off nostalgia, people want the old radios and are willing to pay a lot of money for them. I've sold old ham radios on e-Bay and they've gone for twice what I was asking.

I don't get it. Must be the nostalgia of times past. Or some memory of these radios being better than what they were.

No way I'd pay that much for a used radio. You can do better.

KK7BIV

W9RA said:
In excellent used condition, they should be only about 15-20% of that price! If they were in the $150-$200 price range, then they *might* be worth it. They are OLD radios and not what a new ham who's looking for a good HF radio wants.
Wow. Heh, I wonder if he'll accept an offer? The listing said he got them from an estate sale, so he's probably just looking to make a quick buck. I'll see.

If I can get him to lower the price to around $200 or so, which one would be a better radio, the FT-102 or the FT-767-GX? My funds are very limited (I'm only 18), so a radio that's more than about $300 is probably not an option.

bharvey2

If you can get them for the price you suggested, then it might be worth the gamble. Keep in mind that these are 40 year old(ish) radios and unless they've been serviced, may very well exhibit problems that a cursory test of a garage / estate sale shopper won't or can't recognize. You probably aren't too far behind on being able to find a used Yaesu FT450D or an Icom IC 718. These both fall into the starter HF radio territory but are much newer in design. To be sure, I'm not a big HF guy and others here may be able to weigh in with far greater knowledge on the two radios you discussed.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
About the price of a new FT-991A without the extended band coverage. HIgher output but depends on tube finals which may be hard to find.

N8IAA

Wow. Heh, I wonder if he'll accept an offer? The listing said he got them from an estate sale, so he's probably just looking to make a quick buck. I'll see.

If I can get him to lower the price to around $200 or so, which one would be a better radio, the FT-102 or the FT-767-GX? My funds are very limited (I'm only 18), so a radio that's more than about $300 is probably not an option.

My first HF radio was $100. It cost me more in back-up tubes in the couple of years I owned the radio. Luckily, I had friends that helped me keep it running.

40 year old radios are not worth what you think. Bought at an estate sale, means they weren't used for a LONG time. You'll spend more to get either one up and running.

Been to many hamfests where the owner has an inflated value of old stuff.

Buyer Beware.

KK7BIV

bharvey2 said:
If you can get them for the price you suggested, then it might be worth the gamble. Keep in mind that these are 40 year old(ish) radios and unless they've been serviced, may very well exhibit problems that a cursory test of a garage / estate sale shopper won't or can't recognize.
Yeah, that makes sense. I do know a bit about electronics, so I might be able to fix it up myself.

N8IAA said:
My first HF radio was $100. It cost me more in back-up tubes in the couple of years I owned the radio. Luckily, I had friends that helped me keep it running.
The FT-102 and FT-767 are from the 80's, aren't they? So they'd probably be solid-state IC rather than tube?

But I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I can get the price down to something like $150 or $200; if not, I should probably try to find something else.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
A common problem with the FT-102 is with the relays, needing to all be replaced. Google Yaesu FT-102 problems.

They have two tubes in the final. A nice radio when they are fully working, but .....

I'd stay away from both, unless you are adept and motivated to repairs. You might end up with two door stops.

Last edited:

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
The only way that I would pay that kind of money for a radio that old is if it was previously owned by my parents/grandparents and I just had to have it back for sentimental reasons.

I'd spend my money for a new Icom 7300 or a Yaesu FTDX-10 [it's what I bought and am happy with]. If you like older radios and want a 102, there are much better prices out there for that particular model.

N8IAA

Yeah, that makes sense. I do know a bit about electronics, so I might be able to fix it up myself.

The FT-102 and FT-767 are from the 80's, aren't they? So they'd probably be solid-state IC rather than tube?

But I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I can get the price down to something like $150 or $200; if not, I should probably try to find something else.

Yes they are from the 80's. That's why the warning. Old electronics that haven't be used for decades will begin to fail. The 102 was a hybrid back then. Tubes were still used. What is the availability of those tubes in new condition now??

As posted by VK3RX, the FT-102 has problems.

Save your money and get a newer radio that won't give you headaches. (y)

N8YX

This is an older thread, but...

An FT-102 has three tubes in the PA and will easily do 180+ W PEP on the upper HF segments, with 200+ possible on the lower bands. It also has one of the best SSB IMD figures of any transmitter - past or present.

With regards to
What is the availability of those tubes in new condition now??

RF Parts carries matched sets of 6146s, which is what these rigs use.

As far as prices go:

I own two of them. Both have been to Mal Eiselman (NC4L) for rework, upgrades, enabling the Aux bandswitch position to receive an extra (non-factory-provided) segment. Mal also fitted a wide AM filter and rewired the filter-selector logic so the correct filter choice is displayed on the unit's VFD. Each radio had two filters installed by their previous owners, and both have the AM/FM Board.

As such, mine are worth $800-1000 or so to someone who wants a properly functioning, up-to-date example. A barn-fresh unit of unknown history is worth $300-400 max. Note that a good tech can do pretty much everything Mal does to a -102, but it's not a radio to go casually poking around in.

I'm in no hurry to get rid of either but there's no way I'd shell out $1250 for another unless that radio is coming straight from Mal.

Status
Not open for further replies.