found at yard sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevolene

don't have a clue how to operate, but radio sounds great, Ive heard a few qso's on 40 meters, and I believe Im hearing a BBC broadcast at the moment at 7.355. Anyone with any thoughts or info on this radio? Im totally new to shortwave listening

Attachments

• dx390-1.jpg
    dx390-1.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,379
  • dx390-2.jpg
    dx390-2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,373

gpsblake

Nice radio, just be careful of static with the DX-390, easy to blow it out (but also easy to repair). I had one of these, didn't know about the simple diode fix and threw mine out.

kf4uuz

This was a very good little SW radio. Very similar (identical) to the Sangean ATS-818.
It should keep you listening for quite awhile.
How much did you pay for it?

SCPD

QRT
Yep that was my 2nd SW radio receiver. Unfortunately, it only has 5khz steps and so that will limit your experiences.

Tuning SSB with a BFO is just a pain in the butt.

If you got it for cheap, it's a decent starter radio. Stick with the built-in telescope antenna and you'll be fine.

r_eugene1

I was fortunate enough to have purchased one of these back in the late 1990's or early 2000 and played it until late 2012. I really enjoyed listening to the one that I had until for some unknown reason it would not power up with the AC adapter or batteries (new).
I really enjoyed the late night listening with a 40' (outside wire) antenna, but the telescopic antenna will do just fine.
Hope you enjoy your find.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
and I believe Im hearing a BBC broadcast at the moment at 7.355. with any

God bless the BBC. Great information when I was in the "Sand Box". If it was not classified, the BBC put it out on the airwaves. And BBC news was accurate news reporting. The BBC was far better than "Armed Forces Radio Network" and their screened broadcast, that at times broadcasted less than accurate information.

FF- Medic !!!

Last edited:

Boombox

Nice find, looks like it's in good condition.

DX-390's are great radios. About as sensitive as some more expensive digital portables, but easier to use.

Be careful with static discharges, especially when handling the whip antenna in winter (or when it's very dry out) or using an external antenna in winter.

MisterK33

Nice find! I had one of those for years and then upgraded to my Sony; your "new" radio was easier for me to use than the Sony! I gave it away about 6 years ago...

KD5SPJ

I now look for SW radios or radios in general at swap meets and garage sales. NICE find on the 390 and good ot hear it is getting you hooked on SW listening! Sometimes getting your first radio thru happenstance is all it takes! Happened to me a month ago when I got givin a Hallicrafters SX-62A. I use it every night and in the last month have bought two new Grundigs for portable listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.