Found Smyrna Trunking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpsTN

Recently I posted the thread "Smyrna Trunking Down?" because I was not finding the Smyrna Police or anything else for the town. Since then, I have entered the 10 REBANDED frequenies found on this RR page:

Smyrna Public Safety Trunking System, Smyrna, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies

Smyrna Police is reliably heard on frequency 852.57500. I have heard other transmissions for Smyrna on frequencies 851.06250 and 852.03750. These seem to be transportation services for the elderly and utilities or something to that effect.

Thought someone else would like to know what I found. If anyone else knows more than I -- and that is garanteed -- please let me know.

Charles
Smyrna, TN

Hi Charles,

I programed in these rebanded channels. I am only getting bits of conversations every so often.

Are you listening to these as individual frequencies or are you listening to this in trunked mode?
Also, do you have this programed in as Motorola 800/900 or Motorola VHF/UHF?
And finally, in the trunking tables, do you have this set as Normal, Splinter, or Custom?

cpsTN

Hi Charles,

I programed in these rebanded channels. I am only getting bits of conversations every so often.

Are you listening to these as individual frequencies or are you listening to this in trunked mode?
Also, do you have this programed in as Motorola 800/900 or Motorola VHF/UHF?
And finally, in the trunking tables, do you have this set as Normal, Splinter, or Custom?

I do have it as NORMAL. I setup the bank as a Trunked bank. I seem to be getting the Smyrna PD on one frequency at a time. This morning, it was different than it was now (19:53), but only ONE channel at a time. I am receiving both sides of the conversation, with multiple cars using it, though. I am new to Trunking - like two days ago -- so I need to meet with someone for a sit down explanation.

Charles
Smyrna, TN

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I do have it as NORMAL. I setup the bank as a Trunked bank. I seem to be getting the Smyrna PD on one frequency at a time. This morning, it was different than it was now (19:53), but only ONE channel at a time. I am receiving both sides of the conversation, with multiple cars using it, though. I am new to Trunking - like two days ago -- so I need to meet with someone for a sit down explanation.

Charles
Smyrna, TN

Did you program in all 10 frequencies? If not, which ones did you program into your scanner? Are there any other settings besides "NORMAL" in your scanner?

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
On the 106 I programmed the lower set of frequencies and set to custom tables then set tables to 800 re-banded. Working well last night. Did not see it using any of the upper frequencies as voice channels which is consistent with re-banding.
Doc

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
And thanks to cpsTN for getting the frequencies uploaded.

ghostnerd

This morning the control channel has changed to 853.4000. This may be marked as an alternate control channel or could be the new primary with 852.5750 as the alternate.

If you enter all the new rebanded frequencies into the same bank and mark them as MO or MOT (or whatever you have for motorola) things should switch back and forth for you just fine.

If your scanners support rebanding through an 800mhz channel banding feature, the following adjustments work nicely:

1) low 851.3125 high 854.0000 offset 560 spacing 12.5
2) low 851.0125 high 861.9875 offset 0 spacing 25
3) low 851.0250 high 854.0000 offset 440 spacing 25

I had to set those up in my PRO-160 as suggested by Dick at the PRO-160-162 yahoo users group. Otherwise my scanner was missing parts of conversations and would not lock frequencies ending in 0. The above settings solved this for now. Newer scanners may not need these adjustments.

rasputen246

Thank you ghostnerd!!!

This was all I needed:
1) low 851.3125 high 854.0000 offset 560 spacing 12.5
2) low 851.0125 high 861.9875 offset 0 spacing 25
3) low 851.0250 high 854.0000 offset 440 spacing 25

I don't actually monitor any trunked systems, and it "freqs" me out to deal with the
'hairpin learning curve' of trunked scanning.

I kept looking at the data on the db and looking at what I needed to know and this was all that was missing.

Activly search & storing ID's now from S M'boro with my 800mhz beam and it's comming in loud & clear.

Will the RR db take this info or will I have to search for this every time I setup a rebanded trunk system?

ghostnerd

Well I looked long and hard on google (dont type in "long and hard" on google) for information on how to reconfigure bands. There isn't nearly enough information out there in the open. I guess licensed hams are laughing at us for not figuring it out. Rebanding is new, however, and there is no standard band configuration for these new channels (or so i read) so even the new scanners may find themselves tinkering with these settings one day. I'm no expert, I picked this hobby up from my father, so please don't quote me as correct without checking facts.

The Control Channel is currently back on 852.5750 so I imagine 853.4000 is the alternate control channel and was being tested for the day. (This much I know)

Highpockets

If that system rebanded, it looks like a 5 freq trunked system, and if 851.4000 and 852.5750 are the CC's they are the only freq's you need, and a band plan depending on what scanner you have, band plans listed below:

If a GRE scanner, use the plan on this link: (2 line plan)

http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...6-2096-rebanded-motorola-trunked-systems.html

And for Uniden scanners use the table in this link:

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/vi...n?sortcol=table;up=#Rebanded_Motorola_Systems

That's what I see, if I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
You're right on the 5 freq, tried the "extended" version of the 2 line today and it did not work. Read CC ok but did not go to the right channel. I have made two files, one with the 2 line and one that supposedlly works on GRE rigs.

A real ham will not laugh but will teach. And I will say most have no more clue to trunking than an avid scanner enthusiast (?sp)

cpsTN

You're right on the 5 freq, tried the "extended" version of the 2 line today and it did not work. Read CC ok but did not go to the right channel. I have made two files, one with the 2 line and one that supposedlly works on GRE rigs.

A real ham will not laugh but will teach. And I will say most have no more clue to trunking than an avid scanner enthusiast (?sp)

Let me know when and where.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.