Found this video "scanner" in my closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Was going through my closet & found an OptoElectronics Video Sweeper. Haven't had my hands on this little gem in years. Flipped the switch to "on" & much to my surprise, it powered up! I guess its Li battery wasn't made in China. Nice size, too, a bit shorter & a bit wider than my G5. It sweeps 900 Mhz to 2.57 Ghz. Has a small LCD display that shows frequency & a 2.5" TFT color screen for video.
Are there still wireless cams that operate in this frequency range? Or is everything BT & WiFi now? I should take this with me when I go out & see if anything pops up. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Thanks,
Bob

ScubaJungle

That looks awesome, I've never heard of those before. I'm curious to hear if it will still work as well.
I wonder if there's a program that can do this via SDR as well? Good luck!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Are there still wireless cams that operate in this frequency range? Or is everything BT & WiFi now? I should take this with me when I go out & see if anything pops up. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Most cams are in WiFi and most are on 2.4GHz (not 5GHz) so it should work fine, although many will require a password.

Ubbe

Flipped the switch to "on" & much to my surprise, it powered up! I guess its Li battery wasn't made in China.
That's a really old device and as I remember everything Optoelectronics used NiCd batteries. I had a 2-way radio with NiCd and it was on a shelf for three years and when powerd up it was usuable for so long that it must have had all its charge still in the battery. It's not like any Li variation or metal hydrid that self discharge in a couple of weeks.

/Ubbe

rja1

Premium Subscriber
That's a really old device and as I remember everything Optoelectronics used NiCd batteries. I had a 2-way radio with NiCd and it was on a shelf for three years and when powerd up it was usuable for so long that it must have had all its charge still in the battery. It's not like any Li variation or metal hydrid that self discharge in a couple of weeks.

/Ubbe
I just looked at it again & it IS a Li Battery.............Maybe its not as old as you think. Very strange that it held a charge that long.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Most cams are in WiFi and most are on 2.4GHz (not 5GHz) so it should work fine, although many will require a password.
The old device the OP has did not work with so called WiFi cams like we have today.
It detected and demodulated standard NTSC and PAL type video signals which were common formats back in the day, especially in the 902-928 MHz ISM band, and later, the 2.4 GHz band and even later, the 5 GHz band. These old type cams did not work with an IP based network connections like modern security cams do. They transmitted a 6 MHz wide signal if they also had audio which most did. The exact same as an old analog TV station format.

I had a few video baby monitors around me that the OP's gadget would have worked with. I used an Icom R9000 to view them as it could handle NTSC thru much of its tuning range.

Status
Not open for further replies.