Fox Hunt Transmitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhernan488

So I just received my directional antenna. I was thinking, hey, I can now do a fox hunt with my son.

What transmitter do I need to get to hide and find? It can be a diy kit, or pre made.

joehawth

KB1RRG
A few local hams to my area are working on organizing a fox hunt. One of our group suggested we have 1 ham tx for 1 minute every five minutes by reading a book, and that ham is then fox. I said what about the rules against broadcasting? And what if another ham joins the qso? They said this is how an old club in Massachusetts did fox hunts. Your thoughts?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Someone just talking is how various clubs/groups perform fox hunts. Just have the fox ID every 10 minutes or each TX and you're golden. Another ham may join, but if you're using VHF, many hams know the T-Hunt freq. If they come on and ask, just tell them what you're doing. Most hams aren't jerks. At least I hope not.

We would typically setup a more powerful transmitter to lead the hunters in. Upon arrival they would hunt for smaller low power devices on the same or different frequencies. Finding a low power transmitter on the same freq as the high power is rough. Using a different freq is best, or turn off the main once everyone arrives. Still, hunting for a single transmitter is a good start. It is an art.

Golay

A few local hams to my area are working on organizing a fox hunt. One of our group suggested we have 1 ham tx for 1 minute every five minutes by reading a book, and that ham is then fox. I said what about the rules against broadcasting? And what if another ham joins the qso? They said this is how an old club in Massachusetts did fox hunts. Your thoughts?
Our club does one minute on and one minute off. I'm sure it's perfectly legal, we have more than a few rule purist in the club. The foxes use a homemade fox box which automatically sends morse code. I'm not sure what the code is saying. I'm a little DUH-DUH-DA-DUH on copying code.

WB6AMT

Premium Subscriber
So I just received my directional antenna. I was thinking, hey, I can now do a fox hunt with my son.

What transmitter do I need to get to hide and find? It can be a diy kit, or pre made.
Here is a low power (.1mw) transmitter perfect for new hunters, constant carrier to get familiar with how your antenna, attennuator all work together.
Enclosed Practice Transmitter – PT2E
Enclosed (AAA battery box) – 146.565MHz Low-Power Practice Transmitter/Oscillator

This practice transmitter/oscillator enclosure holds two “AAA” batteries and can be left on for several days.
With a 19 inch antenna lead, range is approximately 300 feet (depending on terrain).
Enclosure has built-in ON/OFF switch.

20200113_233945_Film3[1]

This self-contained practice transmitter can be tied to a tree branch and hung inconspicuously, one of many possibilities.
Batteries not included
PT2E – Unit Price – $25.00 plus $5.40 shipping

WB6AMT

Premium Subscriber

This a Transmitter Hunters website with a load of info, pictures, videos, schematic etc.
wb6amt.com

Status
Not open for further replies.