FPS AZ frequencies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbnv992

Does anyone happen to know the FPS for the state of AZ’s frequencies ?
I searched and the only thing that comes up is basically every area they cover BUT Arizona. ( I noticed they are mostly UHF P25 )

ecps92

Right here in the RRDB and RR Wiki

Does anyone happen to know the FPS for the state of AZ’s frequencies ?
I searched and the only thing that comes up is basically every area they cover BUT Arizona. ( I noticed they are mostly UHF P25 )

KB7MIB

And I believe that they've gone encrypted in Phoenix.

They used to be widely heard around the Valley. I could easily hear them here in Peoria. Now, not so much. Either they had a repeater atop one of the mountains around the Valley, or one of the taller buildings downtown, but moved it to a much lower location, or they otherwise modified it to significantly reduce the footprint. (Lower output power, lower gain antenna, etc.)

And the one time recently that I may have caught a snippet of one of their transmissions, it sounded like it was encrypted.

John
Peoria

mbnv992

Heard them talking on the Phoenix frequency just yesterday after I plugged it in the scanner. So they are definitely on there. Not very active though.

ecps92

All depends on the Console/Operator [for the MegaCenter]
and then time-of day, for the Local Control

Region 1 varies from ENC to CLR - no pattern observed.

And I believe that they've gone encrypted in Phoenix.

They used to be widely heard around the Valley. I could easily hear them here in Peoria. Now, not so much. Either they had a repeater atop one of the mountains around the Valley, or one of the taller buildings downtown, but moved it to a much lower location, or they otherwise modified it to significantly reduce the footprint. (Lower output power, lower gain antenna, etc.)

And the one time recently that I may have caught a snippet of one of their transmissions, it sounded like it was encrypted.

John
Peoria

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
All depends on the Console/Operator [for the MegaCenter]
and then time-of day, for the Local Control

Region 1 varies from ENC to CLR - no pattern observed.

Up in Region 10, they are pretty well encrypted full time, but I occasionally hear one field unit in the clear, never the MegaCenter. And yes, both Tucson and Phoenix were not real busy. It took me forever to catch them active to confirm their NAC.

- Chris

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Back in the 1980's, FPS used to house their offices in the second floor of the Federal/USPS building on the SW corner of Central Avenue and Roosevelt Street, in Phoenix. There was a Captain, a Sergeant, and about 5 to 6 Officers. Their patrol vehicles were Ford Fairmont police packages with full FPS markings.

Towards the late 80's, GSA decided to close down the Phoenix office of the FPS and transfer a few personnel to Tucson. I know one retired and at least one went to FCI - Phoenix.

Once 9/11 hit, FPS migrated to DHS and Phoenix was restaffed. The old Federal/USPS building had been closed and turned over to ASU.Their current office is not publicized and their staff isn't much larger than it was in the 1980s. I know that they actively oversee a contract security company [Paragon Systems] in north central Phoenix.

KB7MIB

I've seen their Tahoes driving up and down Central Ave in the past.

I've heard them go out at a location in North Central Phoenix, off I-17, in the past. I never went looking for it to try to see what kind of facility it was.

And like I said, they used to be easily monitorable across a wide area with just my GRE PSR-500 with the stock antenna, but now they don't appear to be so easily monitorable.

They've been moved a few times under the DHS umbrella, IIRC. They were under CBP for a little while, as was TSA. Then they got moved to another directorate.

John
Peoria

Foresigt

GlobalNorth, the building you refer to was at Central and Fillmore not Roosevelt. It is now ASU PD downtown amongst other things. FPS is still housed downtown in one of the buildings and were quite active when the demonstrations were going on downtown.

KB7MIB

I drove Downtown this afternoon. I heard at least a dozen mic breaks, but no audio while I was down there.
My GRE PSR-500 will pass encrypted audio, unlike my Uniden SDS-100, so if there had been any audio, I would have heard it.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.