franklin co. public safety...lots of feedback, scratchy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizwiz

I recently programmed columbus, ohio - franklin co. public safety system into my GRE PSR-500 scanner.

I drove through there yesterday and it just sounded terrible. Lots of feedback. I tried a different 800 Mhz antenna to no avail.

I was driving through the NW leg of I270.

I get other systems fine and clear.

Now, on the way back, I drove I-71 straight thru the city and reception was a little better.

Does anyone else get bad reception of franklin co. public safety system?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I recently programmed columbus, ohio - franklin co. public safety system into my GRE PSR-500 scanner.

I drove through there yesterday and it just sounded terrible. Lots of feedback. I tried a different 800 Mhz antenna to no avail.

Now, on the way back, I drove I-71 straight thru the city and reception was a little better.

By "feedback" I assume you mean interference or intermod? Or were you hearing audio feedback from user radios where someone had a mobile and a portable in close proximity (which there is nothing we can do about).

In any case, it's always been clear as a bell for me. You might get a few issues when there's been a solar flare, but never bad enough for it to sound 'terrible.'

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber

Did you try hitting the "ATT" button? I think I've heard the same thing you're describing and the ATT button usually solves the issue for me on my PRO-106 until I'm away from the problem area.

dizwiz

No this sounded terrible while marcs came in totally clear in the same area.

When I say terrible I mean static, buzzing, etc. Lots of background noise.

The worst sounding group was the franklin co. Sheriff dept.

dizwiz

Ok. Attenuator helped (psr500). Thanks for the suggestion

(Prob wouldn't have been an issue on my uniden bc296d as that radio seems less affected by nearby signals from cell towers, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.