Franklin County - Motorola p25 Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
Some one please let us know

I have been hearing a lot more on the "new" 453.xxx fire frequecies lately. No news on the change over. Either nobody is talking or no one seems to know.

bmlure

Premium Subscriber
I heard a new 453.xxx today after work but I did not log it. I have been asking firefighters and none of them are talking.

bmlure

Premium Subscriber
I'm ready for the change. I bought a BCD396t last week and want to use it. I programmed WV P25 system in it and it works great. Been listening to WV every day. It will be nice to use it locally.

bort

Friend in the Fire Company

My buddy in the Fire Company said that radio communications are not completely finalized yet. Trunking is likley but not 100%, to date. Some companies (in the near past) purchased new radios and are not prepared for trunking. If they go trunking (which is now looking likley) their stuff needs to be reprogramed, at a serious price tag. A Franklin County Fire Dept. is purchasing new radios from Motorola which will be compatable with the new system or even if they choose a no trunking system. However,there seems to be some stressed side bars that the County will go trunking.

My question is, I use a simple Radio Shack (Nascar) scanner to hear whats going on. Is there another recommended portable scanner, $200 dollar price range that will work for this ne trunking stuff?

As I get info just as others I will pass it on.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
My question is, I use a simple Radio Shack (Nascar) scanner to hear whats going on. Is there another recommended portable scanner, $200 dollar price range that will work for this ne trunking stuff?

I would wait and see what the County is doing before buying. That way you can be sure that you get a compatible scanner.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
Franklin County EMS Council meeting minutes

Franklin County EMS Council
Meeting Minutes
May 18, 2009

FCESA – Tower site all done. Now need make decision whether to go with the current digital system or change to a digital trunking system. If you purchased radios that are P25 compliant then you should be able to update to the trunking system. FCESA and FCFCA are in support of the upgrade.
Motion: DLutz, D Wadell FCEMSC support move to digital trunking system. Appr.
Looking into selling maps similar to what was given to the departments except it will be done at 2000 ft overview.

bmlure

Premium Subscriber
My sons friends dad is in the Chambersburg Police Dept ,he said that Franklin County is to switch over on Jan 1 2010. The other year when Franklin County went to the present system, they switched on New Years Day that year.

dwlyons

Herald-Mail Article 11-28-09

Pennsylvania: Franklin Co. emergency radios going digital

Franklin Co. emergency radios going digital
Officials hope change clears up communications
By JENNIFER FITCH
November 28, 2009
waynesboro@herald-mail.com
FRANKLIN COUNTY — Emergency responders in Franklin County, Pa., are preparing for a costly transition to an ultra-high frequency, digital-trunking radio system they hope provides clearer communication.

Not only is the county spending several million dollars to expand from two to five radio towers and install other hardware, but agencies such as police, fire police, ambulance and fire departments need to replace any analog radios they might have.

David K. Donohue, director of the Franklin County Department of Emergency Services, said the system was tested in Illinois and will be assembled locally over the next few weeks. It will begin operating in January, with the full switchover planned for mid-May.

“It allows us essentially to have better coverage in the county,” Donohue said.

Although he described “intermittent problems” with communications between emergency responders and the 911 center, others weren’t so forgiving.

“There are definitely days when you wonder if two tin cans and a string would work better,” said Washington Township Police Chief Barry Keller, whose officers have problems with their radios when on ridgelines.

Greencastle Police Chief John Phillippy said there have been times when he could see a firefighter or police officer, but not successfully reach them on the radio.

“Not only is it really frustrating, but it has a high degree of risk,” he said, calling what exists now a “bubble gum and Band-Aid system.”

The 40- to 50-year-old system should have lasted 20 years, Phillippy said.

“It’s just long outlived its service,” he said.

For as much as they’re looking forward to digital communication, the promised improvements come with a price. Donohue said a survey revealed 325 to 350 radios can be upgraded or patched, yet published reports indicate another 2,000 could be affected.

A discount from the system’s manufacturer, Motorola, allows portable radios to be purchased for $3,500 and mobile (vehicle) ones for about $3,700, Waynesboro Police Chief Mark King said.

“It’s very expensive, but it’s not a choice we have,” King said, saying his department needs to replace 25 portable radios, eight mobile radios and a base station.

Many fire departments and police departments obtained state and federal grants for their purchases. Some sought the money as individual departments; others applied as a consortium.

“One of the best things we ever did was use our federal grants to buy radios that can be programed for the digital system,” said Patrick Fleagle, administrator of the Blue Ridge Fire and Rescue Squad.

Franklin Fire Co. Chief Mark Trace said a FEMA grant allowed his department to obtain 40 portable and 15 mobile radios. Another eight need to be replaced.

“Basically, all of our radios are ready to go,” he said.

A $500,000 Community Oriented Police Services (COPS) grant from stimulus money will be used by municipal police departments and the sheriff’s department to buy radios, said Phillippy, who represents law enforcement in the Franklin County Emergency Services Alliance.

“That money should go a long way toward providing essential communications,” Phillippy said.

Police departments might have needs beyond those they had at the time of application, he said.

“The upgrade that’s coming in tremendous,” Phillippy said. “I’m convinced it’s a really good thing for emergency service providers in this county.”

Donohue said the new system operates similarly to a phone system with extensions. It uses “talk groups” that share the same routing path to the dispatch center.

“There’s an ability to patch into the analog,” he said, saying there will need to be patches to certain entities and other counties.

The county is in its third year of implementing the changeover, after a period of design beforehand. Donohue, who must replace his own radio, said the new system will better allow the county to meet requirements set forth by the National Response Framework.

Washington Township Manager Mike Christopher said the municipality’s preliminary budget for 2010 doesn’t include money for new radios. While radios tied into the county system are used by public works and several other departments, Christopher said those users can substitute cell phones initially. His priority is ensuring the police department successfully completes the transition.

“We would need all new portable radios for 15 full-time officers,” Keller said, saying two more would be needed for part-time officers and he’d like to keep one as a spare.

Another 12 are needed for police cruisers in Washington Township.

“We had purchased four based on initially what we were told the upgrades would be,” Keller said, saying he hopes those only will need patches.

None of the Greencastle Police Department’s radios are digital.

“Although the county has said they intend to keep the old system up and running for a while, ultimately it’s going to require an upgrade,” Phillippy said, saying he held onto budgeted money from 2009 and hopes to receive more from the Greencastle Borough Council in 2010.

County officials did not return messages seeking the amount spent for the system and its installation. Previous Herald-Mail stories placed the amount at about $16.7 million.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
Look what I found

Pulled this from an online post of meeting of the Franklin County fire and ems members..............

FCDES is Franklin County Dept. Of Emergency Services

FCDES – Radio Project is a go for digital trunking. May of 2010
All staff except Brian, Ben and dispatchers moved out to new site the second week of July
Let DES know about any addressing problems during calls

Status
Not open for further replies.