Franklin County, NC P25 Banding

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfncnews

I've really struggled with getting Franklin County, NC Harris P25 system to be received clearly on either my Uniden or Gre PSR-500. Generally just motorboats.

I'm now wondering if the Franklin Harris P25 system uses a custom banding plan. If anyone knows it, can you share?

kc4jgc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

No custom band plan that I know. Since it's a pure p25 system, the 500 shouldn't need custom tables. Be sure you have the system programmed as p25 automatic. I have to admit I haven't been in Franklinton since I programmed the county in my pro 106. I know nothing about the Unidens though.

kc4jgc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Driving through the area yesterday on I-85 (Henderson), I was able to pickup the system sparadically. Decode rate was generally 60-80%; closer to 40% between hilltops. WFNC,on your GRE500, have you tried activating the attenuator and/or deactivating the AGC for that system? That may help.

kc4jgc

Time to experiment /w settings

Driving through the area again last night, I was a little more successful with the AGC off.

During these two "drive-bys", I'm almost certain LSM modulation is being used here, based on the behavior of my Pro-106. It behaves the same as the Baltimore County and Baltimore City systems, which uses LSM. It's believed Virginia Beach uses LSM even though it's not as difficult to monitor as the Baltimore systems. Most digital scanners have some difficulty with LSM systems. The PSR 800 is one of a few that does well with LSM.

Settings may vary depending on location or the receiver.

wfncnews

I've tried with my BCD396, BCD436, and PSR500 without any success. It is a Harris P25 Phase I system. Has anybody had any luck tuning some of the software specifications for such a system?

Steve

wfncnews

Franklin County, NC Harris P25 - Any Luck

Is anyone able to receive the Franklin County, NC Harris Phase I P25 VHF system clearly? I'm still struggling to solve this problem. I've decoded the control channel and even created a custom band plan but still no joy.

No luck with my Unidens (BCD396XT, BCD436HP) or GREs PSR-500, and now a PRO-197.

It would be amazing if someone has solved this problem and knows the secret formula. On Broadcastify there is a live feed of the system that is clear as a bell and it says it is using a PRO-197.

I know I'm not the only one with this problem so maybe we can put our collective heads together and finally solve this problem.

kc4jgc

I will be in Franklinton this evening. Chances are that it will be an overnight stay after I finish with business. Assuming that, I'll try some settings with my '106 while I'm there.

robbie2745

Franklin County P25

I was just looking at the Franklin County NC database. It shows 4 control channels. Did you put them all in and see if that works? They may be rotating them around. That's all that I can think of from my knowledge of trunking systems for now.Others may be able to help as I'm still new to this radio technology.

DMSROX2

I work on Capital right on the Wake Co, Franklin Co line (Triad Equipment) and I have had no luck receiving the Franklin Co system on any of my radios; 536/436/HP1/396. If I drive into Franklinton, it's better but not great.

I normally just monitor the live feed that you referenced.

Donnie

Is anyone able to receive the Franklin County, NC Harris Phase I P25 VHF system clearly? I'm still struggling to solve this problem. I've decoded the control channel and even created a custom band plan but still no joy.

No luck with my Unidens (BCD396XT, BCD436HP) or GREs PSR-500, and now a PRO-197.

It would be amazing if someone has solved this problem and knows the secret formula. On Broadcastify there is a live feed of the system that is clear as a bell and it says it is using a PRO-197.

I know I'm not the only one with this problem so maybe we can put our collective heads together and finally solve this problem.

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
Its working, I am on the backside of Nash County near the Franklin line and I do have trouble picking it up. This System has been a headache for everyone since Day 1.

kc4jgc

Observations 6/11 (pm) - 6/12 (am)

Yesterday I drove to Franklinton on NC rte 56 from Creedmoor.

Reception wasn't good even once I drove into Franklin County, but did improve the closer to my destination. After I finished with my delivery, I checked my scanner, noting I had solid copy! I had the scanner on all night. My location was Junction Plaza.

Leaving this morning on US 1 northbound, I continued to have 100% copy until I reached Kittrell in Vance County. After that the signal slowly became more unreadable as I approached I-85.

Conclusions:
Seems this system is designed, like most P25 trunking systems on 800 MHz, so that maximum transmit/receive is in the county. Much beyond the county line the signal, while somewhat strong, the quality is poor. I'd say it's safe to assume the feed provider is in the county.

Squad101

I'm in Franklinton within the town limits on a regular basis and I receive it just fine. In between Louisburg and Franklinton ( around Katesville) reception is spotty but once in Louisburg it is fine. I live in North Raleigh near the Neuse River and Capital Blvd and barely receive anything and never receive anything in and around Wake Forest.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Gcom

I am located in Eastern Wake County and have been able to successfully monitor Franklin P25 on both my Pro 106 and 197. The Uniden BCD436 on the other had been completely silent on this system until I changed the band defaults of 150.8 to FM and 7.5 khz.This allowed reception of the system temporarily and then it went silent again. I rechecked the settings and the FM and 7.5 khz were still there . I had to erase everything and start over . I am now receiving it again. I will report if it fails again.

Gcom

I am located in Eastern Wake County and have been able to successfully monitor Franklin P25 on both my Pro 106 and 197. The Uniden BCD436 on the other had been completely silent on this system until I changed the band defaults of 150.8 to FM and 7.5 khz.This allowed reception of the system temporarily and then it went silent again. I rechecked the settings and the FM and 7.5 khz were still there . I had to erase everything and start over . I am now receiving it again. I will report if it fails again.

Gcom

After reprogramming Franklin County P25 into my BCD 436 HP multiple times it will initially receive the system for a few minutes and then goes silent. I am using my PRO 106 to monitor the system so that I am aware of when radio traffic is present.

Gcom

After reprogramming Franklin County P25 into my BCD 436 HP multiple times it will initially receive the system for a few minutes and then goes silent. I am using my PRO 106 to monitor the system so that I am aware of when radio traffic is present.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Merged the 2 Franklin Co threads as we don't need 2 threads on the same exact
topic.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.