Franklin County Phase II (not hearing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan71

Please help me out, here's what I have and done so far...

Uniden BCD436HP just came back from the Uniden recall. Since it was gone I guess Franklin County switched systems.

I down loaded the Sentinel and updated the scanner and I left the old system in there.

Now, I do hear the Fire and EMS tones and dispatch on the old system and I do hear Rocky Mount PD on the new system... but that's it. I do not here the Sheriffs, Fire or EMS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
The only things I can suggest are such as make sure everything is enabled and turned on. ID search is on vs ID scan. Make sure all the freqs are in the system etc.

Also keep in mind that some of the stuff is already encrypted and from things said here all or most is going to be encrypted in the end.

You should get the noise on the 436 as it doesn't mute P2 encrypted traffic. I know I heard dispatch fine in the clear but all mobiles were encrypted and made a racket. It was TG 421 I think.

Make sure you have a good antenna on it not the stock one.

I've picked up the system all over Roanoke and Troutville with a RS mag mount on the roof of my car on both the 436 and my 536. I've also picked up the system using a RS 800 duck.

Also keep in mind that as of the end of December when I was down that way last they were still using their P25 digital on VHF as well. I've picked it up a time or two since then but reception is spotty and unusual up here where I live.

seanep

Premium Subscriber
Franklin County phase 2

Using ID Search I have found several channels not on the data base most are encrypted but some are not. Make sure Your service types are correct Ems Tac and talk Law tac and talk a lot of channels I hear come in as unknown once You figure out who they are You can rename it in Your favorites. Even if You can't always hear because of the encryption.

troymail

Silent Key
I'm not anywhere near the area but the huge list of frequencies for the "Roanoke" site seems a bit suspect - particularly if it's a Phase 2 system (vs. Phase 2 compliant).

You may want to program all of the site frequencies as conventional and see if you can hear anything on them (or do a search). It would be even better to do a run against the control channels using Pro96Com or something similar (although maybe someone has already done that).

Keep in mind that this is a simulcast system so reception is likely to be difficult with a scanner.

Another option is to go close(r) to one of the transmitters/towers if you know where they are. See if that makes a difference.

dan71

The only things I can suggest are such as make sure everything is enabled and turned on. ID search is on vs ID scan. Make sure all the freqs are in the system etc.

Also keep in mind that some of the stuff is already encrypted and from things said here all or most is going to be encrypted in the end.

I think I have the scanner on the ID search now. I did hear two individuals on TG 501 just chit chatting and at one point the guy started singing "Blue Grass", no idea who they were.

If they are going total encryption the scanner will be useless in Franklin County?

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Dan

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I think I have the scanner on the ID search now. I did hear two individuals on TG 501 just chit chatting and at one point the guy started singing "Blue Grass", no idea who they were.

If they are going total encryption the scanner will be useless in Franklin County?

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Dan

Yep

seanep

Premium Subscriber
I haven't heard anything on 501 505 is animal control talk around They have way too much fun. Bounce back and forth from the Duke's of Hazzard and the Beverly Hillbillies. This morning I heard Sheppard to lost sheep!! 435 is a farm I am not sure who yet no idea how they are on this system. You still are not hearing Fire Com Ems Com or Fire Tac 1 or 2 ? Also there are individual fire channels so far I have only heard 14 Henry use thiers. Sean Perdue 540-765-7572

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
In my pre-Virginia days, I was running a municipal EDACS system down in NE Alabama. I also had roaming access onto the Statewide Public Safety system for the State Police. We were having lunch one day with a SP Radio Tech, when we hear a woman calling him on the Mount Cheeha site in secure mode. It was his wife! Apparently he has set-up an encrypted talkgroup which work anywhere in the state, so his wife could call him anywhere.

A few weeks later, this same Tech was down in my shop and listening to some comms in unsecure mode, on the same system, from kids! Apparently he was also a Scout Troop Leader, and had given them a handful of portables to use when on hikes & weekend camp-outs! Lots of unusual stuff on some systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.