Free BCD996P2/325P2 DMR upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Uniden.

It is great that these scanners are becoming eligible for DMR & Provoice. That is a great step forward, and something I am very grateful to hear.

However, it was REALLY NICE of Whistler to provide their older scanners with a free DMR upgrade, rather than making an additional charge for it.

Perhaps the 2nd best Christmas present this year (the 1st would have been NXDN) would be doing a giveaway of the upgrade to the BCD996P2 and 325P2, especially if an upgrade keys have already been purchased for our x36 series scanners.

Why not take a leaf from Whistler's book on this one?

This isn't a complaint, I'll likely be paying the $81CAD upgrade fee for DMR (which feels quite steep I have to say). But would sure be a great gesture for your loyal, long-term customers, supporters and fans if you would make it freely available on these units.

Merry Christmas.

bigcam406

couldn't agree more.been debating whether to grab a Whistler for these features but im leary of sd card issues.im not a computer expert so when I read the announcement this afternoon I was kind of stoked that these scanners can be updated.unfortunately,after paying close to 600 bucks Canadian for the scanner itself,then another 150 bucks for the upgrades,im wondering if its worth the cost.plus no NXDN announcement as of yet.will we have to fork out more for that also?

D

DaveNF2G

Whistler sold those scanners for about $200 more than the Unidens. The updates still are not "free".

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Whistler sold those scanners for about $200 more than the Unidens. The updates still are not "free".

Really? Just did a search - the TRX-2 and the BCD536HP are selling for about the same price (Uniden was higher on some sites). Add the upgrade fees for the Unidens and...well...

And perhaps you were speaking about the xxxP2 scanners but let's compare apples to apples here. You can find the older Whistler scanners still available for comparable pricing to the P2's if you're so inclined.

And I have some of the latest models from both manufacturers so this isn't me playing favorites in my post here...

Timmeh-31

Premium Subscriber
Wow, I just got all excited for nothing. I just ordered a brand-spanking new 996P2 and noticed that a firmware update was posted yesterday. "Heck yeah!", I initially thought. Until I saw that the combined cost of the "keys" would tack another $110US or so to do the upgrade.

Kinda makes me sad now, not gonna lie. :(

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Wow, I just got all excited for nothing. I just ordered a brand-spanking new 996P2 and noticed that a firmware update was posted yesterday. "Heck yeah!", I initially thought. Until I saw that the combined cost of the "keys" would tack another $110US or so to do the upgrade.

Kinda makes me sad now, not gonna lie. :(
Yep, I know that sinking feeling...

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think Scott may be on to something with this post. Maybe Whistler is using an approximation of the NXDN and not the actual protocol.

Maybe it's a case of getting what you pay for. That entire thread is interesting reading.

Uniden has said that they have to pay for intellectual property (patents). I find them on the list of licensees (http://www.motorolasolutions.com/co...rview/technology-leadership/dmr_licensees.pdf). Odd that Whistler is not on that list. Maybe they are skipping that step to make it more affordable for their customers.

D

DaveNF2G

Really? Just did a search - the TRX-2 and the BCD536HP are selling for about the same price (Uniden was higher on some sites). Add the upgrade fees for the Unidens and...well...

And perhaps you were speaking about the xxxP2 scanners but let's compare apples to apples here. You can find the older Whistler scanners still available for comparable pricing to the P2's if you're so inclined.

And I have some of the latest models from both manufacturers so this isn't me playing favorites in my post here...

All I know is what prices were listed when the TRX series hit the market. Uniden x36 (the only similarly capable model at the time) were around $550 and Whistlers were around $750. The "free" update price was built in to the selling price of the scanners.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
OK, maybe so. I just checked the MSRPs of the two scanners - rounding up a penny to make them even, the Uniden 536HP msrp was $700 while the Whistler TRX-2 was $730. So you were right that the Whistler MSRP is more. Right now ScannerMaster has the TRX-2 listed at $10 less than the 536HP, however (and the Uniden would need the additional upgrade fees if so desired by the end user).

Not trying to split hairs or argue at all, just looking at the numbers. As the saying goes, nothing is free so I'm sure Whistler is getting the necessary funds out of the selling price somehow. I'll agree with you there!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
BCD536HP MSRP is $550. The prices on our web site are intentionally higher than MSRP, as we do not wish to compete on a price basis against our distributors/retailers.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
BCD536HP MSRP is $550. The prices on our web site are intentionally higher than MSRP, as we do not wish to compete on a price basis against our distributors/retailers.

Was just going by what's stated on ScannerMaster.com as the original "list price"...

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Was just going by what's stated on ScannerMaster.com as the original "list price"...

They wouldn't be the first retailer to use an inflated "list" price to make their price seem that much more attractive :)

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Reading here that we now have an upgrade for BCD996p2..........of course I just got one for my BCD536 not knowing they were doing one for the BCD996p2 - cause I am a little behind on the DMR times!! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.