Free emergency radios for schools go unused

Status
Not open for further replies.

monitorman

These radios can be used to alert for other things besides bad weather such as terrorist attack, amber alert, and several other scenarios as well as local stuff to that area. If they do not plan on using them they should forward them to a school or community that could better use them.

KC0QNB

Don they were given the radios so no resources used, they don't use that much electricity, and it would take one student a few minutes to program one unit. After that is just sits there waiting for activity.
You are all wet on this one.

Don_Burke

Don they were given the radios so no resources used, they don't use that much electricity, and it would take one student a few minutes to program one unit. After that is just sits there waiting for activity.
You are all wet on this one.
What about antennas?

What model radios are these?

Perhaps I am wet. Perhaps not.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
it would take one student a few minutes to program one unit. After that is just sits there waiting for activity.

VERY few people know what a weather radio is, what it does (especially outside of weather - some states to major road closings / 911 outages / Amber Alerts and many do not), and how to set it up. If you make the effort to research one and buy one yourself - you learn. If it shows up in a box one day, odds are good it stays in the box.

KC0QNB

VERY few people know what a weather radio is, what it does (especially outside of weather - some states to major road closings / 911 outages / Amber Alerts and many do not), and how to set it up. If you make the effort to research one and buy one yourself - you learn. If it shows up in a box one day, odds are good it stays in the box.
I have to agree on this point, this may be indeed the case.

KC0QNB

What about antennas?

What model radios are these?

Perhaps I am wet. Perhaps not.
Well being the trustworthy individual you are, and I am sure there are places this radios are in your area, go find out, if the school needs an antenna donate one, since you are at the school helping them out go ahead and program the radio for them, I will try that approach, since my local school is less than two blocks away.
As far as brands/models I would guess Midland WR100. I will check locally anyone else want to follow my lead?

Don_Burke

KC0QNB said:
Well being the trustworthy individual you are, and I am sure there are places this radios are in your area, go find out, if the school needs an antenna donate one, since you are at the school helping them out go ahead and program the radio for them, I will try that approach, since my local school is less than two blocks away.
I guess you missed the part about this all happening in San Diego County.

That area is quite a bit different than southeastern Virginia or Nebraska. The hills and valleys can make VHF high useless without a tower.

I any case, why are you going to help? You just said "no resources used."

Have you changed your mind about that?
KC0QNB said:
As far as brands/models I would guess Midland WR100. I will check locally anyone else want to follow my lead?
Are you now local to San Diego County?

KC0QNB

I guess you missed the part about this all happening in San Diego County.

That area is quite a bit different than southeastern Virginia or Nebraska. The hills and valleys can make VHF high useless without a tower.

I any case, why are you going to help? You just said "no resources used."

Have you changed your mind about that?
Are you now local to San Diego County?
Ain't going to cost the school a thing, if you are anyone else wants to help (of course you do) go here and learn about the program, I plan on it.
Don quit being so grumpy, enjoy life by saying and doing positive things:wink:

Don_Burke

Ain't going to cost the school a thing, if you are anyone else wants to help (of course you do) go here and learn about the program, I plan on it.
I admire you for your plan to go to San Diego County to try to make this ill-fitted system work.

Building towers to get those signals into the schools is going to be pretty expensive. As the article stated, "Officials at that campus and many others tried unsuccessfully to set up the radios, sent by the Department of Homeland Security a few years ago."

I would imagine it is going to be cheaper for you to buy the towers in Los Angeles rather than truck them from where you are.

San Diego County is not like Norfolk, where one can stand on tiptoe and nearly see the KHB37 tower in Driver. The path problems are going to be tough to solve in many cases.

JoeyC

San Diego County doesn't need weather radio in schools. The weather is the same almost every day and when there are storms, we hear about them for days in advance. No surprises in the weather here.

KC0QNB

I admire you for your plan to go to San Diego County to try to make this ill-fitted system work.

Building towers to get those signals into the schools is going to be pretty expensive. As the article stated, "Officials at that campus and many others tried unsuccessfully to set up the radios, sent by the Department of Homeland Security a few years ago."

I would imagine it is going to be cheaper for you to buy the towers in Los Angeles rather than truck them from where you are.

San Diego County is not like Norfolk, where one can stand on tiptoe and nearly see the KHB37 tower in Driver. The path problems are going to be tough to solve in many cases.
Actually mr grump I was thinking here MY local area sorry if I misled you, didn't mean to really, I didn't. I have lived in Norfolk, it is in a hole can't see squat from there.
Now here on the other hand, I can see for miles and miles 10 easy more when the corn is out of the fields.

Don_Burke

KC0QNB said:
I was thinking here MY local area
That is interesting since the problem in the article is in San Diego County.

When I addressed that, you said I was "all wet."
KC0QNB said:
I have lived in Norfolk, it is in a hole can't see squat from there.
You must have lived in a different Norfolk than I am familiar with. The one in Virginia has nothing higher than about twenty feet and is right on the world's largest natural harbor and on the Chesapeake Bay. Holes tend to get very wet around here.
KC0QNB said:
Now here on the other hand, I can see for miles and miles 10 easy more when the corn is out of the fields.
Now all you need to do is transport that terrain to San Diego County to solve the problem with a VHF high warning system.

Good luck.

KC0QNB

Look at the locations of the people in this thread, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Kansas, California, Tennessee, and of course Virginia and Nebraska, only one replied so far actually from San Diego, CA. Based on that it seems that there are other people from other areas interested in this topic.
This thread, is the News and Announcements forum not the California forum.

Back a few posts I typed

"Don they were given the radios so no resources used, they don't use that much electricity, and it would take one student a few minutes to program one unit. After that is just sits there waiting for activity.
You are all wet on this one."

In a reply to your comment, " This looks to be another thing the schools are expected to take care of with no additional resources.

The feds do not seem to understand that.

Again I quote you my friend
"What about antennas?
What model radios are these?"

Then in your last post you typed "That is interesting since the problem in the article is in San Diego County.

When I addressed that, you said I was "all wet."

I typed nothing prior to this post, that said anything about San Diego. Am I irritating you yet?
So I will restate, the problem isn't totally in San Diego County
I realize that I won't win this discussion, with you so I hereby yield, to the new master debater, someone needs to take over for Sanders, might as well be you.

Don_Burke

KC0QNB said:
Look at the locations of the people in this thread, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Kansas, California, Tennessee, and of course Virginia and Nebraska, only one replied so far actually from San Diego, CA. Based on that it seems that there are other people from other areas interested in this topic.
The topic seems to be some schools in San Diego County that have not installed weather radios, many of which have attempted to and failed.
KC0QNB said:
This thread, is the News and Announcements forum not the California forum.
Apparently you interpret this to mean that any thread someone from a given area posts in automatically translates the stated problem to that area.
KC0QNB said:
I typed nothing prior to this post, that said anything about San Diego.
That is probably because you did not read the news item that started this thread.
KC0QNB said:
Am I irritating you yet?
You are slowly working your way toward amusing me.
KC0QNB said:
So I will restate, the problem isn't totally in San Diego County
Probably, but the problem is not an issue in many other places. Around here, just plugging in the radio, entering the SAME codes, and setting it to that radio's version of the alert mode will do it.

Running off to a school to fix a problem that probably does not exist at that school is an interesting technique.

I look forward to your report on how your efforts go.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
All I can say is that there should be one radio per public building and a way to get the message across if something does come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.