Free listening - NASCAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
that was pretty good listening - I listened to the winner on the last few laps - and misc other parts of the race - little bit of cussin

overall - comms sound like air traffic control - very precise - very
short - spotter is telling driver who is around him and the relative
positions of the main contenders - "2 back" = (2 car lengths back) -
"2 in your mirror" - "clear" - "clear" - "door" - "back bumper" -
clear - clear - (doing a pass I guess) - etc

there were some huge doubles - maybe because there are 2 spotters/nondrivers and 1 driver on the channel

sometimes drivers are heard - sometimes they are not

spotter is always heard - aka 'Tower'

"Garage" might have been the 2nd spotter that I heard - or 2nd 'base' on the winning drivers freq
'
the officials channel just seemed to have "Elgin 1" and "Elgin 2" - which both seemed to be sweepers - mention of wrecks but no safety crews
heard - (iirc the Elgin Company makes street sweepers)

options - you can chose to listen to ---- MRN (commentators) - "officials" - "scan" (all drivers I suppose) - or individual drivers

Harold

Premium Subscriber
that was pretty good listening - I listened to the winner on the last few laps - and misc other parts of the race - little bit of cussin

overall - comms sound like air traffic control - very precise - very
short - spotter is telling driver who is around him and the relative
positions of the main contenders - "2 back" = (2 car lengths back) -
"2 in your mirror" - "clear" - "clear" - "door" - "back bumper" -
clear - clear - (doing a pass I guess) - etc

there were some huge doubles - maybe because there are 2 spotters/nondrivers and 1 driver on the channel

sometimes drivers are heard - sometimes they are not

spotter is always heard - aka 'Tower'

"Garage" might have been the 2nd spotter that I heard - or 2nd 'base' on the winning drivers freq
'
the officials channel just seemed to have "Elgin 1" and "Elgin 2" - which both seemed to be sweepers - mention of wrecks but no safety crews
heard - (iirc the Elgin Company makes street sweepers)

options - you can chose to listen to ---- MRN (commentators) - "officials" - "scan" (all drivers I suppose) - or individual drivers
You will hear the Crew Chief on the Pit Box, the Spotter on the roof of the Grand Stands and the Driver. Nascar mandates they are "in the clear" when the car is on the track. Other team frequencies are DMR Encrypted.

The "Tower" is Nascar Race Control.

Race Control is in command of all movement on the track. That would include sweepers(Elgin) Jet Blowers, Safety teams, and any other activity that occurs on the racing surface. This can all be heard on the Race Control "Officials" channel. This will also be the first place where you will learn of a Caution on the track, as The Tower pronounces "Put It Out!". There are other Nascar channels but they are also DMR Encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.