Free MILCOM Interceptors e-book Just for RR subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveDouglass

I wrote a book - a novel based on my military monitoring experiences titled "The Interceptors Club & the Secret of the Black Manta and I would like you to read it.

It's adventure fiction (based loosely on fact) written for young readers (tweens) and adults.

My aim in writing it, was to generate excitement and interest in this wonderful hobby of radio-communications monitoring, especially within the up and coming younger generation - and to help promote our esoteric hobby- up and out of the fringe and into the mainstream.

Although The Interceptors Club & Secret of the Black Manta took me four years to write, it is also the culmination of over thirty years radio monitoring experiences.

You can read more about the inspiration for the book here: http://theinterceptorsclub.com

For a limited time (as a special offer for RR subscribers) you can download an Adobe Acrobat .pdf (early draft) of the novel for free. The only thing I want in return is an honest review and to generate a buzz to get my work noticed.

Drop me a line if you are interested and I will send you the url where you can download it.

Thanks in advance and hoping you'll enjoy my book.

Steve Douglass

PS: This is a limited time offer, expiring on August 8th.

Attachments

• cover3.jpg
    cover3.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,258

SteveDouglass

Another chance for a freebie!

I've had more requests for free samples of my e-book "The Interceptors Club & The Secret of the Black Manta" from RR subscribers who missed the last give-away. So for a short time (until Friday, Sept., 17th) it is available for FREE at : Smashwords - The Interceptors Club and the Secret of the Black Manta - A book by Steve Douglass

IMPORTANT: When checking out - use the coupon code: VR64A and it won't cost you anything.

All I ask in return is a review. I received a few (very short ones) last time I made this offer - but they weren't really usable. So once you've read the book - please return to SMASHWORDS and leave a review.

Keep in mind - this version is a self-published and self-edited draft. There will be some typos. Read it - love it and be kind.

I appreciate your interest! Help me to get my book noticed! Wouldn't it be great to get a new generation interested in our terrific hobby?

-Steve Douglass

Attachments

• manta.jpg
    manta.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 894
I'm half way through this book and I am totally hooked - it's everything a mil com monitor could ask for. If I was ten years younger and never heard of scanning or mil com monitoring, this book would definitely get me into this hobby.

Even now, it has certainly lit a spark somewhere deep inside and helped push my monitoring activities up a notch.

Well done Steve and looking forward to a sequel :)

SCPD

QRT
Thank you very much for the free code for your book. Im going to start reading it tonight

Michael-SATX

Thanks for offering us your e-book, I am off to lQQk at it now.
Also, would love to see your Mil-Com Frequency list that you scan
in your area, especially the more nationwide and esoteric type freqs !

JPSan

Steve,

Thanks for the freebie. So far I am really enjoying this volume. Congratulations. Looking forward to finishing this good read.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
I have to say the 'interjection' sections trying to be educational break the story flow badly for me. There's the parts of a great story here... but the plot just doesn't quite 'flow' well.

Also, the 'secret of the Manta' isn't handled all that well for me. It's just 'left as an exercise for the reader', when it should be a major plot point. Pointing out where the pilot gave the Excalibur AI a UHF frequency forgetting to give the decimal, and specifying 'FM Digital' (which 'digital' would that be?) is just nitpicking, though. :D Oh, and it was 460 MHz at one point, and became 462 later...

“Frequency, four, six, zero, six, six two megahertz, FM, narrow band digital.” Static said.

Later, we see (returning to supposed same 'Interceptors' frequeny)

“Excalibur. Retune radio to 462.6625 MHz please.” (At least this would be GMRS, which they could legally use if licensed, though I doubt Excalibur's tranceiver is Type Accepted for Part 95 :D No legal digital modulation there, though!)

Oh, and the 'coin tracker' wouldn't be terra-tech possible, either, for usable range (and how is it powered forever?)

SteveDouglass

One more time - nitpickers need not apply. I want honest reviews not quibbles about frequencies and technical details.

Keep in mind - It's an early draft and needs LOTS of editing.

BTW the "coin tracker" could be an unpowered RFID chip - that transponds when hit with a low frequency RF pulse - kind of like the tags in products bought at Wal-Mart. No power needed.
I'm sorry the book didn't ring your bell - and the writing style confused you.

This book is just one of three (a trilogy) that I plan to write - and the secret told at the end of the book - is intentionally meant to be misleading. Trust me - the secret is NOT what you think it is.

BTW - E-books are limited by their formatting issues. . If I could have done the "interjection" in italics or another form - I would have. I'm still working on making the jump clearer. So far you are the only one who has had trouble with the flow.

Thanks for your review.

For those of you who didn't get a chance to read it - and still want it - and will review it - I've posted another freebie coupon that will work until November 1st.

Go to: Smashwords - The Interceptors Club and the Secret of the Black Manta - A book by Steve Douglass

At checkout use coupon code: DN89X

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Very good read, Steve. Thanks for offering this to the RR group.

Ready to see what trouble Static and the gang get into next !

Status
Not open for further replies.