Free Scan / BC346

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSchoolScannerBuff

Premium Subscriber
Finally I decided to stop driving myself crazy by manually programing my radio. So I used free scan. All my analog frequencies went in fine. But my Motorola Type 2 didnt. I cant scan them, I cant even find them if I manually scroll through the dial. I can find it if I goto the program section. Nothing is locked out.
Where did I go wrong?

Tnx in advance

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes digital isn't available on that model. It would be helpful to know what trunk system you are trying to hear....Mike

OldSchoolScannerBuff

Premium Subscriber
Im looking to program the following

Attachments

• 20190417_091340.jpg
    20190417_091340.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190417_091322.jpg
    20190417_091322.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20190417-091249_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190417-091249_Samsung Internet.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 22

byndhlptom

Freescan supports multiple scanners, some support Digital, some don't. I believe that it by default does not program/load digital systems to non-digital scanners (a check box on the load page?).....

$.02

W4ELL

Feed Provider
Im looking to program the following

There is a checkbox that tells Freescan to not import digital talkgroups as you are writing to scanner. The screenshots show analog talkgroups so your scanner should receive those just fine.

Finding the system in your scanner... Did you assign a quick key to the system that is currently turned off?

Maybe we could be more help if you uploaded the freescan file you used to program the scanner?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'll look for that check when I get home. Thank you
The system that you linked above is Motorola Type 2. Looking at it in the database, as well as your screenshots above, the example talkgroups you chose show to be analog, not digital, so you could receive those. The only listed digital TGIDs are a couple for radio techs, two for "law enforcement surveillance", and a half dozen for FDNY, in Special Operations and Incident Management. The FDNY talkgroups are digital, and at least partly encrypted. That's indicated by the lower case e next to the D in the mode column. Whenver encryption is being used, you would not be able to receive them on any scanner.

As W4ELL noted, if you can attach your programming file to a post, we could take a look and see if there are any errors or omissions.

Attaching a FreeSCAN file to a post:

FreeSCAN uses file extension *.996, which cannot be directly attached to a post. What you’ll need to do is one of these two ways:

Compress your file into a *.zip file, which can be attached. This can be done with a file utility such as WinZip, or the free 7Zip. If your original file was named “MyFile.996”, the compressed file would be “MyFile.zip”.

The other method is to rename your file, using Windows Explorer. Again, for illustration, if your original file was named “MyFile.996”, find the file on your PC and rename it. <Right><Click> on the file and select ‘Rename’ from the pop-up menu. Rename your file to either “MyFile.txt” or “MyFile.996.txt”.

The zipped or renamed file can now be attached to a post. Whoever is going to take a look, to see anything missing or incorrect, can then download the file from your post, rename or unzip it, and open with FreeSCAN to view.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
here is the winzip. hope this is correct, I don't know this stuff

Both files made it so hopefully someone will see something.

Did you watch for that checkbox that must be unchecked to all import of Digital channels or systems??
That one does sound as though it may be the problem unless Freescan is having issues with these mixed mode systems.

Even though you can't receive digital, you may need to uncheck that so it will import the system so you can hear the analog talkgroups on that system.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
You mean in this area?

Okay, I misunderstood you!
I'm not real familiar with Freescan so I'm not sure where the checkbox is that may prevent you from downloading digital systems.
It may be visible when you actually select a system to download under an options tab or something.

I'm thinking you may have not selected the site you are after though being as your file has no frequencies or sites in it.
You must select both, the talkgroups plus the site(s) you want when importing a trunked system.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
thank you! file attached

It looks like there were 2 Motorola Type II systems created in your file but neither had any frequency/TG info. I have imported the system into your file and assigned QK 6 to the Simulcast site.

You should be able to program your scanner using the attached file (unzip and open the .996 file with Freescan) and then make sure QK 6 is activated.

Attachments

• 4-17-2019.zip
    12 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

W4ELL

Feed Provider
By the way, the checkbox in question: 'Don't send digital channels to an analog scanner'

Image001_04172019_180428.jpg

You get this screen after choosing to upload the systems to the scanner.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't have FS on this laptop, but from the database entry, you will need to enter a custom table. There's a base and offset that you will need. Hopefully the file W4ELL has given you already has this information....Mike

W4ELL

Feed Provider
I don't have FS on this laptop, but from the database entry, you will need to enter a custom table. There's a base and offset that you will need. Hopefully the file W4ELL has given you already has this information....Mike

I imported the system directly from the database so the custom table is included in the attached file.

Status
Not open for further replies.