Free Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I am currently using Assaf's FreeSCAN 2.10. Up to this point it has been flawless. I attempted to download Fort Lauderdale FD and PD via Radio Reference Trunked. It will not upload to my BCD396T. I get an error message stating out of memory, yet I'm only using 27%. Could this message indicate that Ft Lauderdale's system is too large for download? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I've had this happen for three reasons.

1-No reason at all. I just tried again and it worked.
2-To many TGIDS in a group (Though I think it said something else when I did this)
3-You are trying to upload a multi-site system, and its "making" separate systems with all the same TGIDS (just use the site you need)

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another reason - the scanner hasn't had its memory cleared of all the pre programmed stuff, and instead of using replace on the upload form, you're using add. The preprogrammed stuff does take up a chunk of memory, and unless you are actually traveling to those areas, is wasted space.

I would first use the Erase all Systems and Settings for the first time, thereafter use Replace. Use Add if you are adding something new

best regards..Mike

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Another reason - the scanner hasn't had its memory cleared of all the pre programmed stuff, and instead of using replace on the upload form, you're using add. The preprogrammed stuff does take up a chunk of memory, and unless you are actually traveling to those areas, is wasted space.

I would first use the Erase all Systems and Settings for the first time, thereafter use Replace. Use Add if you are adding something new

best regards..Mike
I thank both of you for the reply. I dumped the pre programmed frequencies years ago. I have plenty of internal memory listed. I believe the system is too big. Would the one of you with more expertise explain how can I properly download the Ft. Lauderdale FD & PD system? Is there something about a limitation if there are more than 20 groups in the system. In the past I have not had any problems, but this time I;m stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tony

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Well, how I would do it is.

Break it up into 4 separate systems
Site 1
Site 3
Site 4
Site 5

From my understanding of what I just glanced at, it has 4 sites, and the talk groups are broken up over each site.

Example
Site 4 would be:
Ft. Lauderdale PD
Ft. Lauderdale FD
Ft. Lauderdale PS
Broward County Fire-Rescue Zone 13
Etc....

Site 3 would be:
Hollywood FD+EMS
Hollywood PD
Hollywood Services
Etc....

And so on.....

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
And yes, the 396t does have a limitation of 20 groups per system/site.

But in this case, you're (in my understanding) thinking of it as 1 big system, not 4 separate systems.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I don't want to push my luck, but how do I download the system in the fashion you describe? Can you walk me through a few steps and hopefully I will get the idea how it is done. Thanks, again. Tony

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I would use easygrab

But you can try this:

When you pull up the system, uncheck the un-needed sites.
So the first time you would only leave, say, the Ft. Lauderdale site checked.

Then uncheck the un-needed groups. so leave FLFD, FLPD, FLPS, etc checked.
Then Import/download

Then repeat for each site

Last edited:

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad it worked! I was getting ready to make a file for ya. (i'm better at doing than explaining)

Have a great night!

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I must be doing something wrong, it still states I'm downloading more than the 20 allowed. I have an unusual request, would someone mind me calling them via the telephone and take me through the first few steps? I'm very good with using a computer, I'm just stumped with downloading the Ft. Lauderdale System and Broward Co. I am more than happy to call on my dime. Thanks, Tony Petralia

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
"What city is the most important to you? I'll make an example."

______________________________________________________________________________________

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I'm really good with computers, but this one has me frustrated.

BCD396T, the error message states I'm trying to download more than 20 groups and it will not condense them.

I'm trying to download Broward County, Florida (Sheriff & Fire)
In addition, Ft. Lauderdale PD & FD

My home number is 727-378-8960 if you have any additional questions.

Take your time, I'm on my way to do my civic duty, it's our Presidential Primary Election Day.

Again, thanks for all your help. Tony Petralia

Last edited:

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Ok, this is more of a demo. I didn't do settings n stuff, and I didn't include everything.

(But I think seeing it will help you understand)

Edit: I saw Pompano changed sites, so switch(cut n paste) them to site 1 BC

Attachments

• fl.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I can't believe I'm still having problems. The file was opened in WinZip, yet when I click on the .996 file to open or run same, it states Windows can't find the program to run the file. I'm using Windows 7, could that be the problem? Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.