Free software: BCDx36HP WAV Header Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
BCD436HP WAV Header Reader

I wrote an Excel workbook that reads the headers of WAV files generated by BCDx36HP scanners and lists the most useful fields in worksheets. It will read the files in multiple folders--starting with a selected file and reading that and all files with later dates. Included in this version are some test sheets that list the raw header data and a full complement of fields.

Feel free to try this out and report any problems or suggestions. Future versions will rename the files and sort them into a useful directory structure for easier review.

Thanks goes to Jay911 for troubleshooting the program and providing a lot of the fields listed on the Main page.

Enjoy!

-Tim

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
theaton - Just tried your little excel spreadsheet on some recordings I did awhile back when I first got the 536. Worked great and is a nifty little thing. Puts everything that I can think of right into a sheet.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Can you save it as an .xls rather than xlsb ? I'm an Oppenoffice user and it refuses to load it.

Thanks

t_shuffle

I wanted to try this and see if it worked with HP1 created WAV files, but like phask, I'm an Open Office user, and I get a script error when when I press the Import button.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
I don't know enough about Open Office to help. Are any macro or VBA functions supported?

phask

Premium Subscriber
It has some scripting/Macro - but I've never explored them. I've used spreadsheets since Lotus123 days, but since I retired I have no desire to do any more than necessary with it :)

kd7eir

I've tried it in Office 2010 and Office 2013 and I get an invalid procedure call error when I click on Import as well. Everything is configured properly in References.

This is the line that is highlighted in Debug: "ImportForm.Show 'Open internal Common Dialog Box -- returns only filename (not directory) if in directory from previous selection"

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
I've tried it in Office 2010 and Office 2013 and I get an invalid procedure call error when I click on Import as well. Everything is configured properly in References.

This is the line that is highlighted in Debug: "ImportForm.Show 'Open internal Common Dialog Box -- returns only filename (not directory) if in directory from previous selection"

Odd. That's the first line in the routine--an instruction to open the only form in the program. Were you using the xls or xlsb version?

-Tim

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if it will be any help but when I opened the program and tried to click on Import it wouldn't work. It took me a few minutes to see a small line at the top of the data fields saying that Excel has prevented the working of the button with an allow or protect me choice for options.

Once I clicked allow it worked great. Until I saw the little writing it didn't work at all. And its really little and has nothing to make it stand out for visibility.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
I don't know if it will be any help but when I opened the program and tried to click on Import it wouldn't work. It took me a few minutes to see a small line at the top of the data fields saying that Excel has prevented the working of the button with an allow or protect me choice for options.

Once I clicked allow it worked great. Until I saw the little writing it didn't work at all. And its really little and has nothing to make it stand out for visibility.

Thanks for this observation. Security notifications are browser-specific, but I will add a note about this in the instructions for the next version.

-Tim

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for this observation. Security notifications are browser-specific, but I will add a note about this in the instructions for the next version.

-Tim

NP
One thing though. I was not running it in a browser of any kind. When I double clicked the program it opened automatically in MS Excel.

Going back into it just now I can give you more info.

It says "Security Warning" "Macros have been disabled" then an "Options" box which has protect me or allow in it.

Sorry my first wasn't as informative as it should have been. It was from memory rather than actually checking it again. I also notice it does it each time you open the program.

I don't know for sure but it seems to be an Excel thing rather than a problem or anything with your program.

Steve2003

Theaton,
I am having problems when I click "import files" and get the following error:

Run-time error '5':
Invalid procedure call or argument

I have checked my references per the instructions and have the following checked:

(click to enlarge)

Here is the line giving the error when I debug:

(click to enlarge)

Any thoughts?

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Steve2003,

The problem seems to be with the "Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library" reference since it crashes on the first line of code that invokes that library. I wrote my own file browser to avoid these sorts of problems, but I guess nothing can compensate for Microsoft. :)

I have that library set as the lowest priority (the lowest checked box). You could search your reference options for another version. I don't know what else to suggest.

-Tim

gariac

I'm way late to this thread. I couldn't get open office working either. However, I put together a simple bash script (linux) that could probably be made to work in windows. I may not have all the field widths done correctly, but the code is trivial to rewrite. No compiler is needed.

Put all the wav files in one directory. The script will find all the files and create a csv file called "out". You can then sort the list in open office.

Reading the code is trivial. DD is set up to copy specific sections of the file based on "skip" and "count". Obviously "skip" that number then copy the "count". "TR" removes the unprintable chafacters. Echo just inserts the commas.

-------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
touch out
for i in *.wav; do

# IART-System name begins in position 33 and is 64 characters wide
dd skip=32 count=64 bs=1 if=$i | tr -cd '\40-\176' >>out
echo -n "," >>out
# IGND - Department name
dd skip=104 count=64 bs=1 if=$i | tr -cd '\40-\176' >>out
echo -n "," >>out
# INAM - Channel name
dd skip=176 count=64 bs=1 if=$i | tr -cd '\40-\176' >>out