• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Free to air satellite

Status
Not open for further replies.

richster

radio10-8 said:
Anyone here using or have tried FTA? Sounds like fun scanning for satellites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-air
FTA Satellelite receivers are a BIG problem for satellite companies like Directtv, Dishnet, and Bell in Canada. They are flashable and hence flash codes are made for these receivers to illegally pick up signals from these providers.

There was a big update to these systems that have shut these FTA's down, and hopefully for good. It is nothing short of theft, and has cost many potential jobs.

Regards,
Richster.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sounds like a security problem to me, like putting the goods out on the sidewalk and expecting nobody would walk off with them. When HBO first started they used a local microwave distribution system (cable was in it's infancy) so some bright entrepeneur got the bright idea of marketing microwave downconverters. Hobo caught on to a primitive analog "scrambling" technique and made scrap metal out of countless bootleg HBO receivers. By the time "descramblers" appeared on the black market Hobo had moved on leaving UHF subscription TV stations as the next victims of video piracy. Enter digital and we now have secure transmission but again somebody missed the boat, can't swap out chips in space, HA HA!

Meanwhile the government of Iran is ripping out thousands of illegal sat receivers (Islam forbids anything but Islamic doctrine) but that's another country living in the Dark Ages.

Premium Subscriber
I haven't used FTA, but I do have two C-Band receivers and a big dish in the yard (I also PAY for DirecTV). One of my receivers has a VideoCipher decoder which will open to CNBC. It's weird because I know the VC-II won't open for any of the other channels. I watch for "wild feeds" on NTSC any time there are storms or major news events. Every once in a while I catch a news reporter picking her nose or doing some other stupid stuff. These are getting rarer to find.

I also like to listen to broadcast radio on the subcarriers.

I wonder if I switch to an FTA receiver whether I can pull in more wild feeds? I don't particularly care about defeating any cable or satellite TV. My life's complicated enough! But I would like to watch the weird and esoteric stuff. I might also like to watch some local stations from other markets if those were open and legal.

blackacid

While richster is correct about flashable FTA units there is a whole world out there that doesn't have to do with stealing a signal. There are quite a few channels floating around that are free for the public viewing. Most of these channels are usually international or religious in nature. For an almost complete list you can take a look at

http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html

to give you an idea what you could receive with a FTA unit. FTA units are DVB so mostly pay attention to the DVB listings from that page.

Satellites listed in green are KU band and require at least a 30 inch satellite to receive.
Satellites listed in what looks to be purple on my screen are C band and require one of the BUD *big ugly dish* which is around 6 foot or bigger.

Intelsat Americas 5 satellite is the one that has the most free programming as far as I know with only a few English channels. Most are international and non english speaking.

Now the fun part of FTA to me is the live feeds. These are usually satellite trucks that tv stations send out to cover breaking news. This is where satellite pretty much becomes scanner like as you have to scan the satellite to catch these channels when there live. I have watched many hurricanes come onto land as well as other breaking news stories such as floods, wildfires, and any other stuff you can run across. Usually live feeds are straight from the camera so it is unedited raw video.

richster

It amazes me how stealing can be justified just because it was there to steal, and it could be done.

The streams used by the major providers are using at least 128bit encryption techniques that make Motorola DES look like speech inversion. Yet programmers of these bin files still manage to crack the encryption scheme. HAHA except now.

What shocks me even more is forms are up and running dedicated to that exact feat. How they are up and running is beyond me :confused:

I would have figured the satellite companies, or at least the Government would have shut those forums down. But they still go on. Just a reminder, it is STILL illegal to decrypt ANY encrypted signal.

If this very site was actively promoting the hacking of various motorola encryption techniques like DES, DVP, OFB; I would think Motorola would definately have this place shut down.

They say stealing satellite doesn't hurt anyone. This is false. Two years ago I applied for a job at Bell Canada to be a service technician (for satellite). They were even going to send me to school to fix their receivers. Shortly after Bell Canada laid off hundreds, sighting crashing sales due to illegal FTA recievers costing Bell one billion dollars a year. Well needless to say my job never materialized.

Manufacturers of these FTA's should not be able to make them flashable, hence making them TRULY free-to-air!

This is IMHO on the matter.

Regards,
Richster.

Last edited:

richster

blackacid said:
While richster is correct about flashable FTA units there is a whole world out there that doesn't have to do with stealing a signal. There are quite a few channels floating around that are free for the public viewing. Most of these channels are usually international or religious in nature. For an almost complete list you can take a look at

http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html

to give you an idea what you could receive with a FTA unit. FTA units are DVB so mostly pay attention to the DVB listings from that page.

Satellites listed in green are KU band and require at least a 30 inch satellite to receive.
Satellites listed in what looks to be purple on my screen are C band and require one of the BUD *big ugly dish* which is around 6 foot or bigger.

Intelsat Americas 5 satellite is the one that has the most free programming as far as I know with only a few English channels. Most are international and non english speaking.

Now the fun part of FTA to me is the live feeds. These are usually satellite trucks that tv stations send out to cover breaking news. This is where satellite pretty much becomes scanner like as you have to scan the satellite to catch these channels when there live. I have watched many hurricanes come onto land as well as other breaking news stories such as floods, wildfires, and any other stuff you can run across. Usually live feeds are straight from the camera so it is unedited raw video.
That is an excellent post!

A question though. These 30 inch dishes ore mostly "hard mounted" on one satellite. If you wish to view other satellites, how do you do that with out climbing back on the roof to find another satellite? Motor driven positioning system maybe?

Regards,
Richster.

blackacid

There are two ways to go about this. You can either have a switch and have a few different satellites on the roof locked to different satellites in the sky that you find you want to watch the most or you can install a motor to make the satellite track the belt so you can use only one satellite to scan the sky.

I personally have a 36 inch dish that is attached to an sg2100 motor and with the FTA receiver you can usually use USALS which is where you put in your location coordnates and it will tell your motor to move to which ever satellite location you wish to watch/scan. From this point you can tell your receiver to do a blind scan and it will find all available channels that are open for the public to view *no encryption*.

Picture below is the motor that I have attached to mine.
http://sadoun.com/images/Installations/Picture_037.jpg

Note that with the 30 inch or larger satellites that you need a KU band LNBF which is different from the standard Directv/Dish network LNB.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/LNBF/FSKU-v04-Fortec-Star-Universal-LNBF.htm

Last edited:

cellblock776

I work with a guy who pirates FTA signals on hacked Dish Network and Direct TV boxes. Nearly everyday he has to go online and look for the latest hack code to open up his receiver after they are close by the networks attempting to prevent people from doing just what he does. To him it's a big game.

flyingwolf

richster,
I hate to tel ya something bud. You didn't miss out on that job becuase of piracy, you missed out on the job for 1 of two reasons, either your qualifications didnt pan out, or they simply realised they didnt have enough money to hire.

FTA and even the hacking of the illegla boxes does not cost them millions a year.

I would love to see how they come up with that number.

If even 2% of the popuation over there is hacking thier subscription services using the FTA hacks then that is still only going to amount to a few hundred thousand a year.

This is not something any idiot can do on napster, this requires, hardware, software, the skills to make it work, and enough brain power to know how the hell to aim a dish.

Think about it, it is a few miles up, if your off in direction by one degree then your missing the signal my hundreds of miles.

Seriously, thats not why you lost on the job.

Something tells me the attitude may have somethign to do with it.

And I may be wrong, I dont knwo you, but form reading your posts, the feeling of "the world owes me something" comes to mind.

Then again I may be wrong.

And dont bother critiquing my spelling and grammar, I simply dont care.

jellotor

Just FYI, in this country at least television is losing ground in the battle for eyeballs. Satellite piracy is just one of the many factors affecting the bottom lines of a number of companies.

While slamming richster seems beside the point, it would be foolish to suggest that ExpressVu's financial health has nothing to do with satellite piracy.

N

N_Jay

I just love how people confuse hacking/cracking descramblers/receivers of various types with "Free to AIR".

If you have to hack/crack anything, you are no longer watching "FREE TO AIR", you are stealing.

flyingwolf

N_Jay said:
I just love how people confuse hacking/cracking descramblers/receivers of various types with "Free to AIR".

If you have to hack/crack anything, you are no longer watching "FREE TO AIR", you are stealing.
Exactly.

Man comes on to ask a question about a truly American thing to do (put together a bunch of old equipment to make it useful and enjoyable) and it turns into a discussion on thieves.

W8OSP

Ok i am kinda interested in this. What kind of receivers or control boxes are they using? i have an old sati and lnb. This sounds kinda fun.

Oh never mind found everything i need!! Woot this is pretty cool stuff!

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
I have a Ku-band FTA setup. I have one 90cm dish, motor, and have several receivers. Right now my primary is a Coolsat 5000 I use to blindscan (find new transponders/feeds). In my PC I have a Twinhan card that I use to watch 4:2:2 and HD feeds (mostly used by sports backhauls and NBC network feeds).

FTA is a great hobby and I highly recommend it. It goes perfectly with scanning...basically like having a scanner that displays video. I've seen raw video for pursuits, large fires, and even Hurricane Katrina rescues and damage. I also get a kick out of watching news reporters prepare for their live shots... you can see them putting on makeup, doing their hair, smoking cigarettes and doing just about anything. If your into sports there are tons of feeds out there (mostly college stuff but also plenty of MLB backhauls). Sports guy are quite entertaining when they are off live TV.

If you get a receiver make sure it can do blind scan (autmatically find new transponders and feeds) and supports USALS (allows a motor to move the dish to move to right satellite automatically). I recomend you visit www.satelliteguys.us they are very helpful and can answer any FTA question you have.

Caesar

i haven't read all the replies, but FTA can be interesting to watch, however, depending which sat you are in ie:intel sat americas 5, you are not likey to pickup many if any english speaking programs, i use to work tech support for a sat company and we were change the settings on the box to pickup the FTA stuff as well, i think we had about 500channels on the box at one time, it was fun, but not much english....

richster

flyingwolf said:
richster,
I hate to tel ya something bud. You didn't miss out on that job becuase of piracy, you missed out on the job for 1 of two reasons, either your qualifications didnt pan out, or they simply realised they didnt have enough money to hire.

FTA and even the hacking of the illegla boxes does not cost them millions a year.

I would love to see how they come up with that number.

If even 2% of the popuation over there is hacking thier subscription services using the FTA hacks then that is still only going to amount to a few hundred thousand a year.

This is not something any idiot can do on napster, this requires, hardware, software, the skills to make it work, and enough brain power to know how the hell to aim a dish.

Think about it, it is a few miles up, if your off in direction by one degree then your missing the signal my hundreds of miles.

Seriously, thats not why you lost on the job.

Something tells me the attitude may have somethign to do with it.

And I may be wrong, I dont knwo you, but form reading your posts, the feeling of "the world owes me something" comes to mind.

Then again I may be wrong.

And dont bother critiquing my spelling and grammar, I simply dont care.
Where did this come from?

I hate to tell ya something bud, I did loose that job to piracy.

flyingwolf said:
Seriously is this a joke? Where did you get your numbers from? The air? Investigate before you start typing. Back in 2002 the satellite industry were loosing an estimated billion dollars a year due to one to three million people stealing satellite. Now with FTA's out this number has probably gone up. Here read this article back from 2002.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/acovmon.htm

I was actually sent a letter by Bell stating that they were no longer looking for technicians due to a lack of sales, mostly because of piracy.

My attitude has nothing to do with this post, and why I didn't get whatever job. Trying to read between the lines of my posts, then attacking me saying I have a bad attitude is just dead wrong. If you want to psyhco-analyze people go to.....

http://www.uncommonforum.com/.

Just trying to defend my good character,
Richster.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Cool!!!!

This is such a neat topic! I was just reading one of my old TigerDirect catalogs for PVRs to accommodate my CCTV system around the pad (house) :lol: when I found this.

I'm very excited at wanting to try this out. Would this card be alright for this?

Now all I need is a 36" dish. I'll check the Thrifty Nickel and classifieds as I see many people sell them. :)

Sounds like Kworld knows about this hobbys popularity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.