Free Users - Turn off your ad blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3RADIO

What gets me is that I am a paying user and since the site seems to auto log me out every time I visit the site on any computer I am faced will full screen ads. Super good way to annoy customers.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Eh... you know what, we're going to announce today that we're eliminating all advertising, with the exception of the Scanner Master partnership banners, on RadioReference.com with an effective date of 5/15/2022.

I'll get a formal announcment out to the community later today, and we'll start pushing code changes ASAP to remove all ad serving. That includes all google ads and amazon ads, and the pop-up for ad blockers. Your ad blockers will now be useless, because there will be nothing to block. 🤷‍♂️🤣

Nothing will change on Broadcastify, but for RR, we're deprecating all ads as specified above by 5/15.

It will cost us about 120K a year in revenue, but maybe we'll buy some goodwill with the community. Eh, we'll see. I'm willing to give it a shot.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Eh... you know what, we're going to announce today that we're eliminating all advertising, with the exception of the Scanner Master partnership banners, on RadioReference.com with an effective date of 5/15/2022.

I'll get a formal announcment out to the community later today, and we'll start pushing code changes ASAP to remove all ad serving. That includes all google ads and amazon ads, and the pop-up for ad blockers. Your ad blockers will now be useless, because there will be nothing to block. 🤷‍♂️🤣

Nothing will change on Broadcastify, but for RR, we're deprecating all ads as specified above by 5/15.

It will cost us about 120K a year in revenue, but maybe we'll buy some goodwill with the community. Eh, we'll see.

That is huge wow!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator

N9JIG

Sheriff
What gets me is that I am a paying user and since the site seems to auto log me out every time I visit the site on any computer I am faced will full screen ads. Super good way to annoy customers.

While the Ad situation is resolved, the logging off is likely due to a browser setting that deletes cookies at the end of a session. If that setting is turned off the cookies from RadioReference will remain and keep you signed in.

Last edited:

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber

It will cost us about 120K a year in revenue, but maybe we'll buy some goodwill with the community. Eh, we'll see. I'm willing to give it a shot.

1651861351905.png

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind there's really 3 sites; Forums, RadioReference, Broadcastify. I am logged into RR (the DB) for weeks at a time on multiple machines. I intentionally log out each time I am on the Forums.

abbydabby

I seem to have a ad blocker when i sign in to listen. i did not install this on my lap top i would not know how. i go thru the steps to disable it every time i go on to listen but i still see no ads. except in the player there is a short ad message befor the player gets going. is this all i have to do. i have no reason to go against RR rules. i am old an hard to see so if my spelling is bad please excuse this .

paulears

You have probably updated your browser - Firefox, chrome etc, and probably in the old version you had downloaded (perhaps automatically) a switched off adblocker that has reactivated. Or maybe you have some antivirus software that detects the check servers do to detect adblockers, and disable the response - this would look to the server as an adblocker.

Unless you can locate the adblocker, which might be tricky if your computer skills are a bit er, undeveloped, you are a bit stuck. In Chrome, for example, they're called extensions, and accessed via a little blobby icon top right. Firefox calls them add-ons. Safari has extensions again - so maybe that will let you do a little hunting. The other thing of course, is just ignore the messages and put up with the message. I suppose the question is do you see adverts? This forum doesn't have very many to be honest. On safari I get a small banner at the top. In Chrome, it's missing. The ads help the forum, so just go on the hunt for extensions or add-ons in the top menus and disable them.

You have been a member here for a long time, so your computer skills cannot be as bad as you say - forgive me, but you seem to be lacking nosiness - as in looking at menus you dont normally use and having a fiddle. Have courage my friend - or as my wife does, ask the 10 yr old grandson when all else fails. RR won't get cross with you - the adblocker message is automated and designed to be annoying, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.