Free Users - Turn off your ad blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'll betcha all the folks who have left because they had their feelings hurt or the chips knocked off their shoulders will be back, especially if they're hams or have scanners. They may not use the same names but this is pretty much the only game in town and no one else has as much information in one place and as easily accessible. To me, it's worth every penny.

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
I'll betcha all the folks who have left because they had their feelings hurt or the chips knocked off their shoulders will be back, especially if they're hams or have scanners. They may not use the same names but this is pretty much the only game in town and no one else has as much information in one place and as easily accessible. To me, it's worth every penny.
30 bucks hell I waste 30 bucks a year on coffee !

phask

Premium Subscriber
There is also a township in Michigan called Paradise. The newspapers have a ball when the temperatures align themselves properly so they can run a headline that reads, "It's Colder Than Hell In Paradise."

There is a town called Paradise as well , UP just South of whitefish Point.

Been there done that- several times.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about laidback but I never go to Starbucks. Too many anti-police and anti-normal guy philosophies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Clearly you've never been to Cumberland Farms (Chain here in the North East).
The last time I can remember being at a Cumberland Farms was probably 35 years ago in Greenwood Lake! 😲

VE2XWA

What about giving free subscription to the “super contributors” ? Don’t get me wrong but some members are a valuable assets to the site and thats mainly why im here, getting answered by the pro.

What will make a member a “super contributor” can be determined by some criteria and vote by the admin. You can get the privilege but you can also loose it. You can determine a max of “super contributors” and fill those positions when there’s opening.

Just to name one, PRCGUY fo me hes an asset for the site

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
What about giving free subscription to the “super contributors” ? Don’t get me wrong but some members are a valuable assets to the site and thats mainly why im here, getting answered by the pro.

What will make a member a “super contributor” can be determined by some criteria and vote by the admin. You can get the privilege but you can also loose it. You can determine a max of “super contributors” and fill those positions when there’s opening.

This suggestion is the best thing to come out of this discussion.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

Not a good ideal. That will open a can of worms. Who and what determines the criteria? How are the thresholds determined?
Who's going to grade each post? It will take multiple people with various subject expertise. A lot of the chatter will be on the criteria and thresholds. The message board software will need modification. "If it's not broke then don't fix it".

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Not a good ideal. That will open a can of worms. Who and what determines the criteria? How are the thresholds determined?
Who's going to grade each post? It will take multiple people with various subject expertise. A lot of the chatter will be on the criteria and thresholds. The message board software will need modification. "If it's not broke then don't fix it".
You're over thinking it. The moderators can advise/decide for whatever reason to give and take away without having to explain to any of us. "They" already take care of the site, so either they think that it is a good idea, or not. Mr. B can then roll with it or not. Also, a label is not needed if it is a hassle and...some people may not want to have the moniker "super contributor". I have a feeling the number will be very low, if Blanton floats it at all.

Then again, it would be just one more thing for unsettled individuals to get upset about if they don't make the cut, and then complain about it in a never ending thread. Still, that thread would potentially provide me with more members to add to my ignore list and what is one more thread in the many the moderators deal with already. There are two people I would like to see attain that honorary temporary status, but my vote is irrelevant.

In actuality, it may happen and other than those selected noticing they no longer see advertisements, or the warning, other members may never know. Super Secret Super Contributor. As it will never be permanent, I wouldn't even tell people they're on the list. In fact, what list?

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
ProScan is not overthinking it. He's being realistic. How man credible responses qualify for the freebie? How 'bout quality of information? What kind of subject matter qualifies? Do you measure quality or quantity? Do you apply it to all of the forum subjects (and there are a lot)?

I like to think my information is credible but it's doesn't come close to that of such members as mmckenna or jonwienke (and there are a few others).

No, it's fine just like it is.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
ProScan is not overthinking it. He's being realistic. How man credible responses qualify for the freebie? How 'bout quality of information? What kind of subject matter qualifies? Do you measure quality or quantity? Do you apply it to all of the forum subjects (and there are a lot)?

I like to think my information is credible but it's doesn't come close to that of such members as mmckenna or jonwienke (and there are a few others).

No, it's fine just like it is.
This type of reply is the proverbial can of worms. It is why I would never tell anyone that such a list exists...as well as who is on it. Thus, no list exits. ;) It will never happen. ;) Blanton and the moderators would rather avoid members interested in a freebie and subjecting themselves to that.

Remember, from now on that list does not exist. ;) You're right KK4JUG, it's fine just like it is...as far as we'll ever know. ;)

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Little late to this party but just a point of reference. I currently have two ad blockers in place, one at my firewall which is done through a DNS filtering service similar to Pi-Hole but is a commercial solutions provided by a company named LucidView and is specific for those with Mikrotik infrastructure and one through my web browser. The web browser one is quite interesting as it actually tracks the amount of data that you haven't had to sit and load. Now over the last five days or so I've been checking the forums a little more regularly (due to APCO and IWCE) and I just noticed the content block counter has significantly been rising.

And by significantly, I mean nearly 1 GB of blocked ad traffic a day (and my visits to Radio Reference are the only thing that has changed in my browsing habits). That is not an insignificant amount of data, even today in 2021. Some of it is getting classified as nefarious by these filters though (which is why I continue to leave them on).

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
Idea, All users that don't like "Ad Blocker" "SUGGESTION" get toghether and BUY your own Radio Reference type web site, then you can make the rules. Else shutup and live with it. You pay for Internet from an ISP, tell them to block all "AD BLOCKERS so you are not bothered with blocking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.