Free Users - Turn off your ad blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen-KE8CCD

The last time I clicked on an ad here it said Congratulations you won an Iphone, I tried to back out of it but it wouldn't let me. I had to completely close my browser to get out of it. I don't mind paying for premium but some ads con be intrusive.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Not a good ideal. That will open a can of worms. Who and what determines the criteria? How are the thresholds determined?
Who's going to grade each post? It will take multiple people with various subject expertise. A lot of the chatter will be on the criteria and thresholds. The message board software will need modification. "If it's not broke then don't fix it".

I already volunteered to be a RR fact checker. And for a slight fee all your facts can be verified as being true.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
The last time I clicked on an ad here it said Congratulations you won an Iphone, I tried to back out of it but it wouldn't let me. I had to completely close my browser to get out of it. I don't mind paying for premium but some ads con be intrusive.
Why did you try to back out you missed out on a brand new iPhone. 😉

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
At one time, we, the moderators, discussed setting up a "mentor" program that would identify people who consistently give good answers to technical questions. We kicked it around for while, discussed the positives and negatives, and then a squirrel ran by (in the form of some other problem that needed to be addressed).

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
At one time, we, the moderators, discussed setting up a "mentor" program that would identify people who consistently give good answers to technical questions. We kicked it around for while, discussed the positives and negatives, and then a squirrel ran by (in the form of some other problem that needed to be addressed).
One or two members were given that Mentor status back then, I just don't recall who they were at the moment. Sadly, I believe one of them may've passed away in the years since.

@hiegtx was one of the guys who Mentor was bestowed upon. There was at least one other as I recall.

It may've been @TailGator911 who was the other one, sadly passed away earlier this year.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Assuming I had the knowledge, I don't believe I would take one of those positions. After seeing inquiries from people who don't have a clue about a scanner, or misinterpretations of things on the scanner screen or... Well, you understand. I wouldn't want the pressure of trying to give good information to a person who has no idea what I might be talking about.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Indeed, sorry, didn't mean to overlook you!
Besides Tom & myself, there's also captclint & Forts. fmon was one of the first, but pasted away quite some time ago.

The other mentioned name was kbonly, but that's no longer a valid user name. He may have deleted his account at some point, since if you find an old post under that name, it's tagged as a 'guest'. (fmon, Frank, passed away in 2012.)

Tom was initially listed under his (then) user name trsundstrum, but now uses his call sign for his member ID.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Now that my two brain cells have gotten together, I think the mentor thing may have been lost in the transition from vBulletin to XenoForo. Maybe we can revisit it.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I guess I’m late to this news after doing a quick pop in on the site without logging in and wondered when this started. Ooofff. Yeah, sorry. I don’t disable my ad blockers for any reasons. The heck with everyone asking to crack the big E. I’ll be willing to send one whole doge to the person that finally figures out how to wipe those Admiral clowns out and launch them into the sun.

ohiodesperado

Wow. 17 pages of this drivel over pop up and ad blocker. To what end? Here's the deal form the non paying subs. We are going to run ad blocker as we always have. With the number of people on here that may NOT have known that ad blocker was a thing. Thus thread has now shown them the way and the ones that were not running it may start. You can nudge us to not. You can ask us to not. But you can't stop us from accessing your content unless you block anyone running ad blocker or make this a pay only site. You may think there other options. But thats about it in the end. And you r problem is that unless you oull the plug a dumb decision on this that drives away enough people that you stop being profitable will run you in the poor house before you can get your contracts canceled with your providers. And no doubt someone WILL fill the void if you are no longer doing it. And the sad thing is they will most likely use your web code to do it.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
yes, we know.

negative.

Depends. Cumlatively it adds up significantly over time as lost revenue.

it’s not about what I earn, or what it costs to run the site, it’s about whether or not you see value in paying a couple bucks a month to enjoy an ad-free experience among other things. If you don’t see that value, then I need to do a better job.

again, see above. It’s all about the value that you receive.

in any case, the numbers speak for themselves. Tens of thousands of people are active premium subscribers. They get value out of $2.50/month.

We’re also pretty cool about use of ads… we work hard to keep them relevant and we don‘t implement pop-ups, vignettes, full screen, etc.
I'm a premium subscriber and use an ad blocker. One issue with this and many other sites is the ads have become extremely annoying, thus necessitating the use of ad and script blockers. Revenue stream is one thing, but not at the cost of annoying your users.

Status
Not open for further replies.