FreeSCAN 0.9I Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpuerror

This new version incorporates bug fixes, new features and general improvements.

FreeSCAN 0.9I
===========

.9I
-----------------
-New: The old logging system did not seem to receive a lot of love, I have redone the logging
system to be a bit more presentable & user friendly.
-New: Added "Blind Friendly" mode - displays an additional menu in the main editor that allows
keyboard access to certain function that were only available with the GUI.
-New: The GPS entry dialog has been changed to be easier to use. Only one text box to fill out for location,
and the Google maps viewer is now integrated into the form so you don't have to view the maps in a browser.
-Change: The function to lockout all systems/sites simultaneously has been changed to only do one system at once.
This is handy for multi site trunk systems because now you can lock/unlock all sites with one click.
-Fix: Problem logging NACs on 996XT
-Fix: UASD file import causes audio type to be set to Analog on some systems
-900Mhz systems on XTs now downloaded back as 900Mhz systems rather then 800/900 sites to help with cross
compatibility
-900Mhz systems uploaded to XTs will now upload back as 800/900 mhz systems rather then Custom
-Fix: Issue with importing certain rare counties using the RR web service that cause a hangup
-Fix: RR has apparently added a new country to their database. As a result, clicking on the American
flag in the RR import screen caused Uruguay to load up instead of United States.
-Fix: Geocoding functionality has been tweaked to be a bit more reliable.
-Other bug fixes and improvements

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
ok, genuine question, why should I chose freescan over proscan?? Ive been a user of Proscan for a while and really like it, im not fussed on weather it is free or costs 50 bucks, ill pay anything for a GOOD program

But I would like to know what makes free scan better?? im always willing to change to something better so please tell me.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
FreeScan is an excellent program, and one that you can use to get your feet wet (in other words, get started). ProScan has many more features (recording, client server apps) and an also excellent program, but may be a bit harder to learn for someone that's new, simply because it does so much more.

FreeScan is the program Uniden should have done instead of the UASD, no question about it. Maybe this program is why Uniden never came out with a UASD for the XT series (chuckle)

Just my 2 cents...73 Mike

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
yeah i never used the USAD dues to how pathetic it was....thaks for your comments...ill install freescan but prob stick with proscan as I run a server and audio recording etc.

If your bored check out my server on proscan called *SYDNEY AUSTRALIA SCAN*

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
But I would like to know what makes free scan better?? im always willing to change to something better so please tell me.

It is a simple and easy to use program! That is what makes it better! Being FREE doesn't hurt, either. I think it is time for me to send in another donation for an awesome program!

mrkelso

I program with FreeScan as i like the simplicity FreeScan offers me. For all else i will boot up Proscan.

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
sweet thanks guys...the wanker admin over at scannow decided to ban me and delete my account cause i asked this question there...shows you how bias the admin team is there....

GUYS YOUR PROGRAM IS FREE..>WHO CARES IF I USE ANOTHER...ITS NOT LIKE UR LOSING REVENUE! Wake up to your selves!

box23

Is anyone having trouble installing the new version?

Just now was the first time I was able to use it in a few days, and I said yes when it asked if I wanted to download the new version. I then closed the open freescan, and installed from the downloaded .msi file. I started freescan up again and it asked if I wanted to download the newest version. When it finished starting up it was still version H.

So I thought it might have just installed the I version separately and instead of the shortcut starting I, maybe it was using the H version. So I completely uninstalled freescan, and then retried installing from the downloaded I version .msi file. Still, though, it is installing as version H.

Is anyone else having this problem. I'm using Vista by the way.

cpuerror

Try to launch it from the Program group in the start menu, if you have created another short cut from .9H to launch it, Vista will reinstall .9H in the backround then launch that version.

Is anyone else having this problem. I'm using Vista by the way.

SCPD

QRT
I get the following when running the program. A new popup will appear seconds after dismissing the current one.

Attachments

• freescan.PNG
    freescan.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 431

SCPD

QRT
Another observation:
After downloading my radio's contents into FreeScan ... I wanted to delete some of the systems. Right-click to get context menu and select "Delete". The system disappeared from the list (good). I selected "Delete" a second time but the system I clicked over did not disappear. Instead, the first system in the list (NOT the one I wanted gone) disappeared. 8^(

As a work-around, if I left-click on the item first before a right-click - the delete works fine.

Last edited:

box23

Try to launch it from the Program group in the start menu, if you have created another short cut from .9H to launch it, Vista will reinstall .9H in the backround then launch that version.

I was actually launching it from the start menu. I found out that when it installed, it created the same folder with .9H in it, which is what the shortcuts were linking to. I went in and manually deleted it, and now it starts .9I just fine.

Thanks for the help.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider

Worked OK for me. It always wipes out the shortcut I place on my Quick Launch (or equivalent, in Windows 7) - doesn't delete it, but causes "The parameter is incorrect." error when trying to launch from the Quick Launch bar. Need to delete and recreate the shortcut to fix.

The only time I had anything remotely like what you described was back around version 0.9E to 0.9F. I had to uninstall E before F would show up. My list of installed programs via Control Panel showed two installs of FreeScan, but I could only access the older one. (To be safe, I uninstalled both, then reinstalled F.)

Another observation:
After downloading my radio's contents into FreeScan ... I wanted to delete some of the systems. Right-click to get context menu and select "Delete". The system disappeared from the list (good). I selected "Delete" a second time but the system I clicked over did not disappear. Instead, the first system in the list (NOT the one I wanted gone) disappeared. 8^(

As a work-around, if I left-click on the item first before a right-click - the delete works fine.

I've never made mention of it but this is a bug/trait I've noticed for some time - the cursor/selected system doesn't follow what I would consider intuitive behavior. When a system is deleted, the cursor should select the system either immediately above or immediately below in the system list. Furthermore, if possible, it would be nice if right-clicking an element in the system/group list acted on that element (instead of whereever the cursor/selected system happens to be - in other words, right click should select whatever is focused under the cursor before displaying the right-click menu).

I like the updated logging format. Much easier to read, IMO :)

I stumbled across a feature in another piece of software (not for Unidens) that will let you select a system downloaded from RR, and re-download talkgroup information for it. (Win500 if you want to check it out.) This is useful when you have picked up more TGs in your scanner and you want to see if RR has them identified. Is this in FreeSCAN and if not, is it something you'd consider, Assaf?

Thanks for your hard work :)

cpuerror

Another observation:

For the first error, check to make sure that you have control channel output turned off in the scanner. For the context menu, you do have to left click first to tell what system you are interested in. I've noticed as well that it doesn't pick it up on the right click but I havent had any complaints of it so I let it slide. But I will look into it for the next version.

cpuerror

I like the updated logging format. Much easier to read, IMO :)

I stumbled across a feature in another piece of software (not for Unidens) that will let you select a system downloaded from RR, and re-download talkgroup information for it. (Win500 if you want to check it out.) This is useful when you have picked up more TGs in your scanner and you want to see if RR has them identified. Is this in FreeSCAN and if not, is it something you'd consider, Assaf?

Thanks for your hard work :)

Glad to hear that you like the new logging format. I think the old one was a little too artsy for most people. I've been thinking about adding a "check for updates on rr" feature, not a big deal to add to that "to-do list"

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
For the first error, check to make sure that you have control channel output turned off in the scanner.

I had an issue that I traced back to CC output enabled a few versions ago. May I suggest that when FreeSCAN starts the control process, it should check for the state of the CC output setting, and if enabled (in either "On" or "Extend"), it turn it off, and when shutting down control, it reset it back "On" or "Extend" as necessary?

cpuerror

I have been contemplating that because I have to tell tons of people to turn it off when things hang and crash afterward.

But it is not a perfect solution. To turn it off I have to put the scanner into programming mode and take it back out again, and this process jarrs the scanner. If it was scanning it would halt, if the backlight is on it gets turned off, if the user was holding to a frequency, that would be reset as well. Basically anything the scanner was doing would be cancelled, and then I would get emails complaining that when they link to the scanner what they were doing was wiped out. Nothing I can do to work around that since this is the way the firmware functions.

But I might just throw it in the next version, with an option to disable it.

I had an issue that I traced back to CC output enabled a few versions ago. May I suggest that when FreeSCAN starts the control process, it should check for the state of the CC output setting, and if enabled (in either "On" or "Extend"), it turn it off, and when shutting down control, it reset it back "On" or "Extend" as necessary?

DesertRatt

Premium Subscriber
ok, genuine question, why should I chose freescan over proscan?? Ive been a user of Proscan for a while and really like it, im not fussed on weather it is free or costs 50 bucks, ill pay anything for a GOOD program

Things that make FreeScan better:

Scanner Optimizer is a useful feature: It organizes your frequencies in sequential order. This makes for faster scanning.

Printing: FreeScan allows you to print your system information so you can make cheat sheet cards. I rely heavily on Startup Keys, System Keys, Group keys, etc. I have systems set up for multiple geographic areas. FreeScan gives me a way to keep it all straight.

Simplicity: FreeScan's simplicity is one of its strong points. For scanner enthusiasts that just want a way to get their systems and settings into their scanners FreeScan is the one. It is also very easy to change views in FreeScan. ProScan is very clunky and limited in this regard.

The problem I have right now is there isn't a single program out there that is the "be all" for everything. Just like Uniden and GRE, each have their strengths, but they all have weaknesses too. People just have to pick the one that works best for them. Or use several. It is a little painful to do that because of maintaining multiple programs and keep everything synchronized. But it can be done. You can also learn a lot about your scanner by using different programs. Playing the my mother is better than your mother game accomplishes nothing. Having choices is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.